Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-17-2002, 03:35 PM
cjoffe

I've only had the car a few weeks, and am still learning. Do the 5spd transmissions not do the same torque apportionment that the auto's do?

CJ
Old 10-18-2002, 09:00 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally posted by cjoffe
I've only had the car a few weeks, and am still learning. Do the 5spd transmissions not do the same torque apportionment that the auto's do?

CJ
No. The 5spd tranny's are not as sophisticated as the automatics. The clutch in the autos is ccontrolled by computer and varies distribution in 10 steps, from 90/10 - 50/50 front/rear ratio. The manual tranny has a mechanical clutch that is a constant 50/50 ratio that simply allows slippage when turning so that nothing snaps.

Earlier I stated that tire size should not differ in <i>any</i> AWD car. I had forgotten about cars like the Porshe AWD Carrera and the AWD Lamborghinis. They have larger tires in the rear but they are geared to compensate so that the front and rear driveshafts turn at the same exact RPM. It would be much harder to change the tire sizes in a car like that than it would be in an SVX where you simply have to keep them all equal.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 10-19-2002, 05:20 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Cigarjohnny,

The driveshafts of AWD cars with different size tires (front to rear) must turn at different rpms not the same rpm.

The distance that circumference of the small tire must travel per unit time must equal the distance that the cirumference that the larger tire must travel in the same time.

The difference in rpms is the ratio of the diameters of the front & rear tires. The smaller tire must turn faster than the larger tire.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 10-19-2002, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
Cigarjohnny,

The driveshafts of AWD cars with different size tires (front to rear) must turn at different rpms not the same rpm.

The distance that circumference of the small tire must travel per unit time must equal the distance that the cirumference that the larger tire must travel in the same time.

The difference in rpms is the ratio of the diameters of the front & rear tires. The smaller tire must turn faster than the larger tire.
Actually Larry, I said the drive shafts must turn at equal speeds, not the axles. The different ratios for those cars with different sized tires is made up in the front and rear differentials. That is how they allow the smaller fron tires to turn faster than the larger rear tires.

For example, the front diff, with a smaller tire, might be geared with 4.11 gears, while the rear diff, with larger diameter tires might be geared with 3.57 gears. This allows the drive shafts from the center diferential, or transfer case to turn at the same rpm, thereby eliminating wear on the clutch in the center differential.

It's when the drive shafts turn at different rpms, that you end up breaking things, so I stand by my original post.

Old 10-19-2002, 07:04 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Cigar Johnny,

Sorry, read your orig. post as axels.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 10-20-2002, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
Cigar Johnny,

Sorry, read your orig. post as axels.
No problem, Larry. :-D
It wouldn't have been the first time I'd ever written something wrong

Old 10-20-2002, 08:37 PM
golddrum11

pressure

So on an AWD car it is probably more important than anything to make sure you are running the right trie pressures on your tires right? ....or does the pressure not matter as much in the broad sceme?
Old 10-21-2002, 04:44 AM

Technically, tire pressure is important on any vehicle, however I suppose a little more important for an AWD car like ours. Since it is said that even a minute difference in tire circumference between front and rear tires can cause long term damage, tire pressure plays an important role due to the fact that incorrect tire pressure can cause uneven or premature tire wear. An improperly inflated tire can wear more rapidly than the other tires, thereby causing it to differ in circumference than the other tires.

Many here will tell you that when you replace tires on your SVX that you must replace all 4 tires at the same time so that they remain the same exact size. They also say not to mix brands because even though they might both be 225/50 series tires, one brand might still be slightly larger in circumference.

Due to the fact that on an SVX more weight is over the front tires and that normally 80% of the power is put through the front tires, the front tires will naturally wear faster than the rear tires. That is why you should religiously rotate your tires. It is probably the most important thing one can due to maintain even tread wear and extend the life of their tires. The next closest, I would say, is tire pressure. Hope this helps.