How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-17-2002, 09:28 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I just realized I have left Kazaa running in the systray, that's where my pop-ups are coming from - Duh on me! I only use it on the P4 I use for an a/v jukebox and usually leave it connected to finish long downloads.

BTW - since memory is dirt cheap these days why not pop another 500mb in your box? I built a P3 450 years ago with 640 mb of memory and use Win2kPro - I don't think it's crashed once in the past three years. (not counting the time I installed the SP3 beta... )

Last edited by Beav; 10-17-2002 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:54 PM
Really Senior Member

Careful installing SP1 on Win XP

While we're talking about cleaning up our computers, just want to tell you I had a terrible experience after installing SP1 on my Win XP Pro OS. Seems that there was a conflict somewhere and the computer performance went to near 0. CPU usage was at a constant 100% even when no programs were running. It was taking forever for anything to happen when I initiated an action.

I spent one 2 1/2 hour session and one 1 1/2 hour session on the phone with MS techs who really tried to solve my problem but never could. They kicked the problem up to a really Senior Tech who finally had me reinstall Win XP. That solved it.
They admitted that SP1 has caused problems "intermittently" and I was one of those victims. Just thought you should know if anyone is planning to install SP1 on their Win XP. Be aware.

On a much more important issue.....the Polo Green is running great. That's really the only thing that counts anyway.

Sold 92 Pearlie in 2002 and 96 Polo in 2009, both to Earl Steele. Currently driving 2004 Acura TL
Old 10-17-2002, 10:44 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

David,
I did a clean install about 6 months ago when I added a 40G HD. It was my third in as many years. They've never helped this particular problem.

Also, I've heard so many horror stories about WinXP on older computers that it's kinda scared me out of an upgrade. My daughter did the XP on her 300Mhz PII with 64 Megs of Ram and it would hardly even load up. After she upgraded to 128M it was only marginally better. On the recommendation of MS, she went back to 98. How is yours different that the others?

Stan,
What the heck is SP1? Did I miss something somewhere?

Anybody,
When I shut those things off, I lost Hotbar. Yeah, I know that's really a meaningless gripe, but I hadn't turned it off, and now 'Find' can't even find it! Wut th'?
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 10-18-2002, 08:19 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
I've really enjoyed the reliability of Win2K pro on my TransNote. I'd like to install it on my home unit (450 P3, 512Meg RAM). Too cheap to spend the money, though. I'm using a software called M-Power right now that seems to have helped with RAM usage efficiency.

Meanwhile, since installing AdAware, my animated Avatars on this site, and some animations on other sites aren't working (on my TransNote 600Mhz, 128 Meg RAM). Whassup wid dat?
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-18-2002, 01:51 PM
I_Alcyone_I

Quote:
Originally posted by wasions

Stan,
What the heck is SP1? Did I miss something somewhere?
SP1 is service pack number 1 from microsoft, it fixes some errors that occur in windows. I would not reccomend putting windows xp on anything below a 400Mhz with 256mb of ram. on anything with 128 mb of ram i wouldn't reccomend anything below an 800Mhz.

The past horror stories of xp are just that, in the past. 2000 is still the most stable MS operating system yes, but XP is right behind it and compatability isn't much of an issue anymore. Plus Windows XP does run programs faster if your system is fast enough to use it.

IE: My XP1900 would get almost double the framerate in games and took almost a quarter of the time to load programs in XP than it did in 2000.
Old 10-18-2002, 06:40 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
David,
I did a clean install about 6 months ago when I added a 40G HD. It was my third in as many years. They've never helped this particular problem.

Also, I've heard so many horror stories about WinXP on older computers that it's kinda scared me out of an upgrade. My daughter did the XP on her 300Mhz PII with 64 Megs of Ram and it would hardly even load up. After she upgraded to 128M it was only marginally better. On the recommendation of MS, she went back to 98. How is yours different that the others?
For systems with only 64MB I would not recommend XP. I've installed it on plenty of machines without a problem. I also would not recomment installing XP over another OS (BIG no-no).

As for Service Pack 1 (SP1) the only issue I've seen was that after it was installed, some computers were not able to create a dialup connection (it was greyed out). I know how to fix that problem though.
Old 10-19-2002, 12:01 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Steve,

I'd agree with Beav on getting more RAM in your system, especially if you're multitasking a lot. All things run in RAM, and if you don't have enough RAM, it use your HD (100's times slower) as RAM (it's a simplified explanation). As an example (these are from my XP machine, but I suspect Win98 would be similar), Windows Exploerer (you have to run it for Windows) is 32Mb, Internet Explorer is 20Mb, MS Word is 14Mb, Outlook is 13Mb, Trillian (my IM) is 11Mb, and add on additional O/S stuff, and you can quickly see how far 256Mb will go. Considering the price of RAM these days, it's probably worth it to get another 256Mb into it.

I'd also consider upgrading to WinXP. WinXP and Win2K loves memory, so I would never install it in a system with 64Mb. I'm running XP on a PIII600 notebook with 320Mb, and for the most part, it's fine other than the slower HD's that are inherent in notebooks. I even have the CPU set to run at 200MHz most of the times for battery power management, and performance is fine. As far as upgrading/fresh installing, if you run the upgrade check from Microsoft, and it doesn't identify any incompatible software, I would go ahead and upgrade to save yourself from reinstalling everything else, and possibly losing your email, etc. It's far more stable than Win98, and if you have enough RAM, far faster than Win98 as well.

Randy,

AdAware may be blocking the avators because it *thinks* it's an Ad. See if there's an option to allow GIF's instead of blocking it.

VK
Old 10-19-2002, 12:52 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
Steve,

I'd agree with Beav on getting more RAM in your system, especially if you're multitasking a lot. All things run in RAM, and if you don't have enough RAM, it use your HD (100's times slower) as RAM (it's a simplified explanation). As an example (these are from my XP machine, but I suspect Win98 would be similar), Windows Exploerer (you have to run it for Windows) is 32Mb, Internet Explorer is 20Mb, MS Word is 14Mb, Outlook is 13Mb, Trillian (my IM) is 11Mb, and add on additional O/S stuff, and you can quickly see how far 256Mb will go. Considering the price of RAM these days, it's probably worth it to get another 256Mb into it.

I'd also consider upgrading to WinXP. WinXP and Win2K loves memory, so I would never install it in a system with 64Mb. I'm running XP on a PIII600 notebook with 320Mb, and for the most part, it's fine other than the slower HD's that are inherent in notebooks. I even have the CPU set to run at 200MHz most of the times for battery power management, and performance is fine. As far as upgrading/fresh installing, if you run the upgrade check from Microsoft, and it doesn't identify any incompatible software, I would go ahead and upgrade to save yourself from reinstalling everything else, and possibly losing your email, etc. It's far more stable than Win98, and if you have enough RAM, far faster than Win98 as well.

Randy,

AdAware may be blocking the avators because it *thinks* it's an Ad. See if there's an option to allow GIF's instead of blocking it.

VK
Victor,
I appreciate the help, however, I doubled my original memory with the addition of the extra 128M stick, and haven't seen much improvement in performance (Yes, the computer recognized the upgrade).

Sometimes I use Wipeout or FreeRam XP Lite (both freeware memory liberators), but still don't notice any difference in resources. It'd be nice if MS just let you select a bigger slice of memory for resources. For the most part though, even though my resources get real low (I seen it as low as 32) my Dell has never shown many ill effects like freezing up or anything.

By the way, I just got a Popup. I've reinstalled Hotbar, and I'm sure that it's the culprit. I'll just have to turn on Popup Stopper and be happy.
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 10-19-2002, 01:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:

Randy,

VK
Thank you, Victor. I'll check that out.

Meanwhile, Steve, you might try M-Power, which is freeware and recommended by these guys http://datadoctors.com/ who seem to know their poop. I've noticed appreciable performance results from m-power, available here http://www.mindbeat.com/.
Subaru Ambassador

Last edited by Aredubjay; 10-19-2002 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-19-2002, 11:01 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Thank you, Victor. I'll check that out.

Meanwhile, Steve, you might try M-Power, which is freeware and recommended by these guys http://datadoctors.com/ who seem to know their poop. I've noticed appreciable performance results from m-power, available here http://www.mindbeat.com/.
C-NET had too many negative reviews on M-Power for a nov like me to try. Thanks anyway.
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 11-05-2002, 02:31 PM
The Road Less Traveled

When life takes over me, I reply 3 weeks late...

Anyhoo, the "resource" meter isn't really all that useful anyways, and I've never figured out what good it serves, except as an indicator of how much junk you are loading at startup.

I've never been able to get that resource meter down to 0. I've tried using a 386SX16 with 8Mb RAM many years back running Win 3.11, and loaded up 12 applications at once. Down to 6%, but never crashed.

If you have a CD-RW and a program such as Norton Ghost, you can do a full backup to a CD-RW, and try Win2K or XP. I've been a big proponent of Win2K (NT 5.0) and WinXP (NT 5.1) because of stability. Not that Unkle Bill is a friend of mine, but if you have to run a Mickeysoft O/S, you might as well run a (much) more stable one than Win98.

VK

Quote:
Sometimes I use Wipeout or FreeRam XP Lite (both freeware memory liberators), but still don't notice any difference in resources. It'd be nice if MS just let you select a bigger slice of memory for resources. For the most part though, even though my resources get real low (I seen it as low as 32) my Dell has never shown many ill effects like freezing up or anything.
Old 11-05-2002, 03:59 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
When life takes over me, I reply 3 weeks late...

Anyhoo, the "resource" meter isn't really all that useful anyways, and I've never figured out what good it serves, except as an indicator of how much junk you are loading at startup.

I've never been able to get that resource meter down to 0. I've tried using a 386SX16 with 8Mb RAM many years back running Win 3.11, and loaded up 12 applications at once. Down to 6%, but never crashed.

If you have a CD-RW and a program such as Norton Ghost, you can do a full backup to a CD-RW, and try Win2K or XP. I've been a big proponent of Win2K (NT 5.0) and WinXP (NT 5.1) because of stability. Not that Unkle Bill is a friend of mine, but if you have to run a Mickeysoft O/S, you might as well run a (much) more stable one than Win98.

VK

Life? You have a life?

ENVY
Subaru Ambassador