How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2002, 08:50 PM
Green1995SVX

The Cavalier Drag car... Powered by a 850hp 2.0L 4cyl ecotec. Not a Hemi... NOT a chrysler product.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 155_2528.jpg (386.4 KB, 96 views)
Old 10-08-2002, 08:51 PM
Green1995SVX

again... NOT a chrysler engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 155_2526.jpg (433.3 KB, 97 views)
Old 10-08-2002, 09:31 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
<<again... NOT a chrysler engine.>>

I don't know about that. Look at the alternator closely. It sure looks like a Chrysler alternator.
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 10-09-2002, 08:09 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. READ THE ****ING WORDS IM TYPING.
IN THE NHRA... ALL DRAGSTERS USE A CHRYLSER HEMI. It doesn't matter if there's a huge vinyl FORD sticker ont he side, the ENGINE is still a CHRYSLER product. Its because no other engine offers the output like the hemi does. Hemis have ALWAYS dominated drag racing, and still do to this day!

Jeeez. You people are dense.

- Ca$h
Now you've gone and done it. While I didn't appreciate your abrasive words, I did defend you. And now, as thanks, you've offended me.

I may be dense, but I don't need people to remind me in public.

If we're all so dense, Mr. Smarty-pants, enlighten us. So far you have provided zero proof or documentation to support your argument.

You claim to be reasonable, and up until now I believed you. Right now, I still say that your loyalty to Chrysler is overpowering your capability to reason. And I will continue to say that until you provide me with some proof that you are right.

Consider this, jerk: Maybe we're not the dense ones. Maybe you're the one who hasn't provided us with a more compelling argument than a post typed entirely in capital letters, calling us names. Given that, who's the dense one?

And if you don't have proof, then simply saying, 'I don't have the information right now, but I'll get back to you with it' would suffice.

Calm down and act like a friggin' adult, for crying out loud. Please.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-09-2002, 08:56 AM
Got Dirt?

And, to set the record straight, the actual line is:

"Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription ... is more cowbell!"

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/99/99pcowbell.phtml

Last edited by rally; 10-09-2002 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:17 AM
alacrity024

Well I seem to have created a post with two sides. One of them downright hilarious and hard to believe at times, the other one about an SNL sketch featuring Will Ferrell.. (spelling?)

I think that Cash has got some pretty important things to say, and I've noticed that it has become almost instinctual for many people here to immediately discount anything he has to say.

However Cash, you don't make it terribly easy for some of these people to believe in you. I've noticed that whenever anyone accuses you of being wrong, you tend to get extremely wound up and very defensive. This is not how one wins fights--at least not on a message board where you're not physically capable of smacking your listening audience.

Let's all chill out..

*puts on some Bob Marley and rummages through his old stuff from high school looking for a stale doobie*

-Adam
Old 10-09-2002, 10:18 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Now you've gone and done it. While I didn't appreciate your abrasive words, I did defend you. And now, as thanks, you've offended me.

I may be dense, but I don't need people to remind me in public.

If we're all so dense, Mr. Smarty-pants, enlighten us. So far you have provided zero proof or documentation to support your argument.

You claim to be reasonable, and up until now I believed you. Right now, I still say that your loyalty to Chrysler is overpowering your capability to reason. And I will continue to say that until you provide me with some proof that you are right.

Consider this, jerk: Maybe we're not the dense ones. Maybe you're the one who hasn't provided us with a more compelling argument than a post typed entirely in capital letters, calling us names. Given that, who's the dense one?

And if you don't have proof, then simply saying, 'I don't have the information right now, but I'll get back to you with it' would suffice.

Calm down and act like a friggin' adult, for crying out loud. Please.
Yeah! What he said!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-09-2002, 11:29 AM
$VX

Look, I'm not talking about cavaliers from hell, I'm not talking about mustangs, I'm talking about DRAGSTERS. The kind that don't bother with some stupid warped body from a production automobile, a REAL REAL dragster.

THEY ALL HAVE CHRYSLER HEMIS. Yes, almost all other marques now produce engines that have a hemispherical head, but that isn't the point. CHRYSLER was one of the first to produce an consumer automobile engine with a hemispherical head (hemispherical heads were first found to produce more power during WW2 in airplanes. Allison V16s (the ones that used to power the hydroplane unlimited racing boats before turbines took over) head hemispherical heads. ANYWAY, the Chrylser 426 HEMI was one of hte greatest v8s ever made. It had 4 bolt mains, ALL THE TIME. This isn't just some super yenko L256 Type R camaro that they only made one of, this is EVERY SINGLE HEMI has a 4 bolt main. This means there are bolts holding the crankshaft caps (that go over the bearings) not only vertically, but also horizontally. The other reason the hemi was so important was that the valves are actually ANGLED into the head, which is STILL pretty damn good compared to modern engines. The way they got away with this was an extremely complex (although I'll admit FINICKY, the Hemi never used hydraulic lifters so periodic valve lash was necessary) geometry of pushrods, and because of this, and the fact that the valves are at an angle, makes hte head EXTREMELY WIDE. Hence the disctinctive huge ass valve covers of a hemi. YES, I'm a mopar fan. Does that mean I'm ignorant? NO. I have REASONS to be a mopar fan, and one of them is that back in the day mopar had THE BEST ENGINES. PERIOD. Chevy, Ford, WHATEVER, doesn't matter. Mopars were almost always better. From the 225 slant 6 that can practically run with gravel in the oil pan, to the venerable 318 that runs for EVER, to their high revving light weight smallblocks (think about the 340 in the well handling Cuda AAR and Challenger T/A), to the big blocks (whenever mags do buildups of a 454 chevy, a whatever big block ford, and a 440 mopar, the mopar comes out WELL ahead of hte pack almost EVERY FREAKING TIME), to the HEMI. THE HEMI is KING. PERIOD. Mopar has ALWAYS mopped up at the dragstrip, if you don't know that, you're just nieve. And remember Nascar? Mopar destroyed the competition so bad that they got banned. WhY? Most people are chevy and ford fans. And mopar freaking KILLED them. Yes. I'm talking about the legendary 1969 Charger Daytona and the 1970 Plymouth Superbird. IN a race prepped Daytona (basically a STRIPPED daytona, but it DID use the actual chassis and sheetmetal of the REAL car, UNLIKE todays stupid 'stock' cars) with a hemi, on the bonneville salt flats a young racer.... lost his name at the moment... anyway, he drove the thing OVER 200MPH. ALMOST FREAKING STOCK!

So yeah. Go ahead. Don't believe me. Call me ignorant. Tell yourself I'm just saying this because I like Mopar. whatever. Maybe this is the reason I LIKE MOPAR. But if you don't believe me, I don't f*cking care anymore.

- Ca$h <---- more of a musclecar enthusiast than damn near any of you.
Old 10-09-2002, 11:47 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
OB
Subaru Ambassador

Old 10-09-2002, 01:20 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
OB
You can say that again.
Old 10-09-2002, 01:27 PM
Got Dirt?

At the top levels of drag racing (funny cars and dragsters) you would be pretty accurate in saying that all the engines are related to the Chrysler hemi engine. The engines are based on the Chrysler hemi design. However, they are not manufactured by Chrysler in any way shape or form. They have been redesigned, improved upon and manufactured by companies such as Keith Black, Rodeck, Brad Anderson, and some others. But yes, they all owe their basic design to the Chrysler hemi engine.

Volumetric efficiency is the key to the hemi design's popularity and dominance in drag racing.
Old 10-09-2002, 01:33 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by rally
At the top levels of drag racing (funny cars and dragsters) you would be pretty accurate in saying that all the engines are related to the Chrysler hemi engine. The engines are based on the Chrysler hemi design. However, they are not manufactured by Chrysler in any way shape or form. They have been redesigned, improved upon and manufactured by companies such as Keith Black, Rodeck, Brad Anderson, and some others. But yes, they all owe their basic design to the Chrysler hemi engine.

Volumetric efficiency is the key to the hemi design's popularity and dominance in drag racing.
That right there is far more useful information than the rant from cash right above it.

And, I might add, it was put far more politely.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 10-09-2002, 01:51 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
- Ca$h <---- more of a musclecar enthusiast than damn near any of you.
That right there sums up the problem - both in the words you use and the connotation they were given. While some of us here are 'muscle-car enthusiasts,' a lot of us are not. And yet, despite my plea for real, documented info and clear definitions, you choose to embark upon this verbal tirade.

Stop telling me why the Hemi engine is so super-cool. I have to tell you, I don't really care. And it also does nothing to prove your point. Here, let me lay it out for you how I see it:

Ca$h: 'Every dragster uses Chrysler-built Hemi engines. If you don't believe me, go f*ck yourself.'

Me: 'Please provide me with some proof that every dragster uses bonafide Chrysler engines and not just Hemi-derived designs built by another manufacturer.'

Ca$h: <insert technical description of Hemi engine, unrelated boat-racing history, NASCAR history, etc - none of it with supporting documentation>

See, I specifically asked you for evidence supporting your claim that every 'dragster' uses a Chrysler-built engine. Yet you ignored that request.

You know what? I'd even forgive the lack of supporting documentation if you gave me a qualified answer. Instead, you rant like a lunatic about unrelated things.

I'm not arguing with you, and even if I was you shouldn't take it so personally. You made a claim and I challenged it by asking for evidence. This should not be a foreign concept to a claimed Objectivist.

So, let me be very, very concise in my request this time:

You claim that every dragster uses a Chrysler-built Hemi engine. Please show me corroborating evidence.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 10-09-2002 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-09-2002, 02:37 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX

You can say that again.
OB
Subaru Ambassador

Old 10-09-2002, 03:49 PM
$VX

Fine. You win. Not every dragster has a hemi. Just all the fast ones. :P

HEMIS RULE. And I was providing the boat/nascar/technical information to shrug off the people who think I'm claiming this just because its Mopar.

- Ca$h