Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2013, 09:58 AM

Long Tube Headers

Hello to all, the reason for this post is to try and find out if anyone has found LONG TUBE Headers (not factory type) for the EG33. or do we all have the same luck, finding nothing. how many of you would prefer Long Tube Headers over the factory "shorty" manifolds? is theres even a catback available for the lovely SVX? or would this all have to be completely custom? any and all input would be great, thanks.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Long Tube Headers

As is the case for most things SVX-related, there is no aftermarket for EG33 headers. Those that do exist are custom fabricated (OT and YT for SVX, Smallcar (?) for EG33s in Vanagons, and others for EG33s transplanted in Imprezas). What OT and YT have done could be considered "long tube" headers.

Cheers,
Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-09-2013, 07:01 PM

Registered SVX

PM Jake@FAPFab, he custom made some headers for an eg33 swapped impreza and you might be able to work something out with him.

The only catback available is the stebro systems which are very expensive and very difficult to find anymore.

Outback Outfront motorsports makes a set of short tube headers for the eg to be used in sand rails that you might be able to adapt to the svx.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:32 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

You mean like these:

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 05-13-2013, 08:50 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Dan,
How are YT's headers working out? Any resonance?
Cheers,
Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 05-13-2013, 12:09 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

No resonance and the thing sounds great rom the inside of the car. You can really hear the sound change when you get on the gas. Whompff. I don't know what it sounds like ouside the car, but inside, it sounds great. Now that YT came back and refined the starting, idle and low-speed maps, the car really runs great. Starting requires a fixed sequence. Turn the key all the way to start the fuel pump. Pump the accelerator three times. Lift off the accelerator completely and hit the starter. Once it catches, give it a little gas. It will flood if you try to start with the accelerator depressed at all.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

Old 05-13-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade View Post
No resonance and the thing sounds great rom the inside of the car. You can really hear the sound change when you get on the gas. Whompff. I don't know what it sounds like ouside the car, but inside, it sounds great. Now that YT came back and refined the starting, idle and low-speed maps, the car really runs great. Starting requires a fixed sequence. Turn the key all the way to start the fuel pump. Pump the accelerator three times. Lift off the accelerator completely and hit the starter. Once it catches, give it a little gas. It will flood if you try to start with the accelerator depressed at all.
Any reasons why it's so hard to start? Maybe I should post up my racecar cold start settings - it starts on E85 every time and it has to - my battery is 6 kg so I get a couple of cranks and that's it.

It did take me 6 months to get it perfect though.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:32 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade View Post
Dan,
I'm going to have to figure out a reason to make my way up to your neck of the woods! Little confused as to the starting "sequence". Given that our engines are FI, what is pumping the accelerator doing other than mechanically opening and closing the TB's plates? There's no airflow through the TB until the engine actually turns over. Something unique to the Hydra?
Bill

My Locker
Old 05-13-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Dan,
I'm going to have to figure out a reason to make my way up to your neck of the woods! Little confused as to the starting "sequence". Given that our engines are FI, what is pumping the accelerator doing other than mechanically opening and closing the TB's plates? There's no airflow through the TB until the engine actually turns over. Something unique to the Hydra?
Bill
Bill, there's barely any airflow going through the throttle body even when engine is idling... idle air goes through the IACV.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:16 PM
Maniac modifier

I had a lot of trouble getting a good start map/tune for Dan's engine... Too rich or too lean and I did not have it enough to continue tuning a cold start to get it perfect... My car was the same way... Its a hydra issue but a good tuner should be able to fix it pretty easily... So get your car tuned already Wally!!

Tom
Old 05-13-2013, 06:53 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

It is entirely possible that pumping the accelerator does nothing. Maybe the only important things are letting the fuel pump run for a little while before engaging the starter and then keeping my foot off the accelerator until the engine catches. I do know for sure that these two actions are critical to a fast start. Pushing down the accelerator before the engine begins to catch is a recipe for a long grind with the starter. Could be that pumping the accelerator is just a good luck charm.

Last edited by shotgunslade; 05-13-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
I had a lot of trouble getting a good start map/tune for Dan's engine... Too rich or too lean and I did not have it enough to continue tuning a cold start to get it perfect... My car was the same way... Its a hydra issue but a good tuner should be able to fix it pretty easily... So get your car tuned already Wally!!

Tom
Yes, Sir!!

Bill

My Locker
Old 05-14-2013, 11:18 PM

Registered SVX

Pumping the accelerator three times in a Megasquirt engages a cold start sequence...maybe Hydra is the same?