How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-25-2002, 09:49 AM
Porter

SVX runs well at the Dragon, gives WRXs a wild run on gravel

*Disclaimer*: Irresponsible driving behavior described herein... I know, I know. I normally drive like a grandma but it's nice to wring it out every once in a while. I've been doing it for years without a single incident.
---------------------------------------------

Hey everybody,

I was finally able to spend a weekend wringing the last ounce of performance out of my new SVX that I bought from iced_out_svx (Joe) in Jacksonville FL.

I've been a member of I-Club for a long time (since '99) and I organize major driving meets in the Impreza community. About twice a year we have a major driving meet at a place called Deal's Gap, NC and spend an entire weekend bombing around country roads at unreasonable rates of speed.

Our big meet in May had almost 100 cars, only a few of which were stock. Most were decidedly NOT stock, we have a few guys making well over 300hp out of the EJ20t motor.

Anyway, this weekend was our informal outing which we normally hold in the fall or winter, and was limited to people with serious driving experience, so we could go out and have some fun without worrying about some people exceeding their limits.

I'm happy to say that we had over 20 cars there this weekend, Imprezas of every kind, two SVXs, and an older Saab 900 (not mine this time).

I'm glad Immortal_suby was able to join us, it was good to put a face with a name finally and run some roads with a fellow SVXer. His comment (repeatedly) was "Damn, you guys drive fast..." LOL

Yes, yes we do.

Anyway, we ran the Dragon, the Cherohala Skyway, the Wayah Road, and the south part of US 28 on Saturday. We kept the speeds down because the roads were wet, but we still had a hell of a lot of fun diving into corners and getting the tails out a bit when there was no traffic on the road.

On Sunday a smaller group hit the gravel stages and enjoyed some seriously high pace rally action. I'm happy to say that my SVX more than kept up, in fact I continually lost people due to the fact that I was sliding sideways through the corners at 60mph and they were crawling along at 35 somewhere a mile back. The only WRX that could really keep up had DMS 50mm rally coilovers, Pirelli rally tires, and full underbody protection. I was in my stock SVX with Bridgestone RE950s. Muahahaha.... SVX ownz all.

I also found out that SVXes go airborne very gracefully... ... and that they have killer towing capacity. I pulled an Impreza out of a ditch with it, no problem...

I love blasting the Cherohala Skyway and then hearing modded WRX owners say things like, "Damn, I was hard on the gas and you kept disappearing... I was doing 100 and you just vanished.. that thing can't be stock!"

Anyway, here are a few pics for you....

Here's the video of me towing the Impreza out...
http://www.kicksomeass.com/~dr_nick/...s/SVXpower.mov

In-car rally footage is forthcoming in the next few days, I'll keep you guys posted.

-Porter
Old 09-25-2002, 09:51 AM
Porter

Here are the two really good pics...

Last edited by Porter; 04-26-2003 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:01 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Here's the video of me towing the Impreza out...
That had to be embarrassing. GREAT STUFF, Porter! I had just been looking at this thread and checked the dates, thinking I might just try to attend. A day late, and a dollar short. It would've been fun to try the "Evil Twin" out at this meet with the Koni's set at their stiffest (right now, they're on lightest setting). I'd still have to have hung out in the rear with the grannies, though. Again, nice pics -- looked like a lot o' fun.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-25-2002, 10:03 AM
Porter

Ya, he didn't really overdrive the Impreza into the ditch... he was going to pull over to let Phil pass but he got into a slick spot and locked them up at like 15mph... and he slid onto the shoulder. The ground gave way under the right front wheel and gave him the scare of his life.... so I towed him to safety with the EG33!
Old 09-25-2002, 10:06 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Porter
Ya, he didn't really overdrive the Impreza into the ditch... he was going to pull over to let Phil pass but he got into a slick spot and locked them up at like 15mph... and he slid onto the shoulder. The ground gave way under the right front wheel and gave him the scare of his life.... so I towed him to safety with the EG33!
Yeah, I noticed a lot of "salad" on the road, there. That stuff gets "snot slick" when it's wet. SVX POWER! (I loved that! )
Subaru Ambassador

Old 09-25-2002, 10:29 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Sounds like a lot of fun!

http://www.kicksomeass.com/~dr_nick/...ighwaystop.jpg

If that doesn't look like trouble, I don't know what does...

Don't the locals start calling the police, what witht that many cars flying around?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-25-2002, 10:33 AM
Porter

That's the reason that we go there... it's literally in the middle of nowhere. That pic was taken about 30 miles from the nearest town, in the middle of national forest land. There are no houses or anything out there, it's all wilderness with this awesome high speed scenic highway running through the middle of it called the Cherohala Skyway. The pavement is perfect and every corner is constant radius, so there are no surprises. All the cambering is proper too so you can really throw a car into the corners at around 100mph. The only other traffic up there is sportbikes, and they're there for the same reason we are. Too bad we're faster than them... though they hate to admit it!
Old 09-25-2002, 12:21 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
wow

Impressive.....too bad we dont have any real groups like this out here in wisconsin! Cant wait to see the in car footage, how long before you get around to it?>
phil
Old 09-25-2002, 01:59 PM
Porter

Dude, one of the guys there drove down from Wisconsin... and his name is Phil too!

At the big meet in May we had people from Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Miami....

Serious travel for serious fun!
Old 09-25-2002, 06:26 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
yeah that is wierd!? but he was in an impreza though....looks like i have one up on him still
Old 09-26-2002, 08:52 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Great story. I spoke with the driver & co of the local Subaru rally team that competes in the Nationals at a car show here. They got all excited when I told them I drove an SVX. Relayed that they once took one to a rally. (As a means to get ther, not to race.) The co-pilot passed a coment on how smooth the ride was & that it would probably never work as a rally car. Then the driver brought his attention to the speed & road surface. They ended off the conversation by saying that the SVX did everything supeemly well., then worked on me for abiout 20 min. trying to get me to sign up for the amature rally scene.

Guess you've proved them right!
Old 09-27-2002, 08:32 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SVX_MY_BABY
Great story. I spoke with the driver & co of the local Subaru rally team that competes in the Nationals at a car show here. They got all excited when I told them I drove an SVX. Relayed that they once took one to a rally. (As a means to get ther, not to race.) The co-pilot passed a coment on how smooth the ride was & that it would probably never work as a rally car. Then the driver brought his attention to the speed & road surface. They ended off the conversation by saying that the SVX did everything supeemly well., then worked on me for abiout 20 min. trying to get me to sign up for the amature rally scene.

Guess you've proved them right!
Didn't do too bad in the Alcan, in 1991, as a Rally car.

http://www.alcan5000.com/96facts.htm
Subaru Ambassador

Old 09-27-2002, 07:08 PM
still in love with Hannah

Quote:
Originally posted by Porter
\The only other traffic up there is sportbikes, and they're there for the same reason we are. Too bad we're faster than them... though they hate to admit it!
Don't go there.
1996 Legacy Outback-"Gilda" white with brown trim
Old 09-27-2002, 08:59 PM
Porter

Haha you must think I'm kidding. There's not a bike on the mountain (including Killboy) who can outrun Templar through the Gap. He pulls over 1.1 Gs laterally.
Old 09-28-2002, 12:33 AM
Templar

hehe,
Porter is trying to get me killed.

For those of you wondering, I am personally not certain about a sustained 1.1 g's. I do know that on Falken Azenis I do pull well in excess of 1 g laterally, and on my Hoosiers I have hit WAY over 1.1 on a g tech (1.24 sticks in my mind, but I may be remembering incorrectly) during autocrosses, which is not the same as a skidpad.

But back to the subject. The SVX did great up at the dragon. Porter and I both cooked our brakes pretty good because we were behind some WRXs that were just too darn slow.

Yes, that is right, Porter was about to give some bug-eyes a big ole 3700 lb enema. Jason (Porter) is a very good driver, and I can't wait to get some time and start tuning on the SVX with him. His car should become one of the best handling and quickest 3700 lb luxo-touring-cars in the US.