Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Competition Motorsports

Old 09-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
East Coast-based 24 Hours of LeMONS/CHUMPCAR World Series SVX Race Team??

East Coast SVXers --

I'm considering bringing the SVreX out of retirement and outfitting it to run in a limited number of 24 hrs of LeMONS and CHUMPCAR World Series events. Applying the R&D done to date and what Tony and Bazza are working on Down Under, I do believe we can field a car that will be fun to drive and start/finish each race.

This will need to be a team effort for it to succeed. While I'm still in the information gathering stage for the 2013 season, I wanted to see how many of the East Coast SVXers would be interested in actively participating in this adventure. Involvement could be everything from in-person moral support to wrench turner to driver.

As the advertised intent of both of these series is to have fun and spend a minimal amount of $$ doing so (the $500 figure shows up in ads for both in GRM magazine). I'm looking more for in-person support than financial support.

Just as a reminder, this is what we'll be starting with:

At a bare minimum, we'll have to upgrade the reX to meet all of the safety requirements (cage + ??). At this point, I don't know if the cage that was installed in the Racer by Dave and Ben will be acceptable (but my sense is that it will be)

Stay tuned.

Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 09-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: East Coast-based 24 Hours of LeMONS/CHUMPCAR World Series SVX Race Team??

CHUMPCAR --

Here are the Basic Rules

Not including the required safety equipment that you’ll need – roll-cage, racing seat, racing harness -- your car must be valued at less than $500. That’s valued at, as assessed by the general market, not what you paid for it.

Personal safety gear includes a Snell SA helmet and SFI-FIA certified driver's gear.

Strip out all the interior and take out all the glass, except the windshield. Install the roll cage, seat and harness. Add some numbers and you have just created a $500 race car. Okay, so there’s more to it than that, but not much. Read the rules to fill-in the blanks.

You can upgrade the brakes a little but don’t even think of adding any trick racing suspension crap. Tires are up to you… as long as they’re DOT legal and rated at 190 or higher for treadwear.

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 09-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

hmmmm... gonna have to bounce this one around upstairs... but don't count me out

Tom
Old 09-23-2012, 08:41 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
hmmmm... gonna have to bounce this one around upstairs... but don't count me out

Tom
You know you want to drive!

Just think, we'll be able to pull all of the glass except the windshield out of the car!!

Bill

My Locker
Old 09-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Quote:

Tom
Ditto.....
Old 09-23-2012, 09:04 PM

Registered SVX

I'd be up for it. I've actually pondered this and looked through all of the rules and regulations. However, the financial side of it after looking into it made me turn away quite quickly.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Nate! You could be our official trailer driver and wrench turner and ???
(yeah, we're going to have to find a trailer and something to tow it with...)

A little info on the LeMONS side of things:

Entry: $500 per car $100 per driver $75 for non-drivers. (Each team must have 4-6 drivers.) This fee covers registration, track time, paddock pass, track insurance, on-site ambulance crew, sweatshop-made commemorative crap, and anything else we come up with by then. Non-driving team members get all the same bennies except track time.

Think I might have a line on some sponsors. I'll just have to work this angle once we reach critical mass.

1.5: Winners and Prizes: There are four classes: A, B, C, and Prototype. Cars whose mechanical layouts have been radically altered from stock (ie mid-engined Metros and tube-frame Model Ts) may be moved to the Prototype class. All other classes are assigned (aka, pulled from our butts) during tech inspection based on the judges' best guesses; post-assignment whining gets you kicked into the next faster Class. The Class A-, Class B-, and Class C-winning teams each receive $500--usually in nickels. Recipient of the highest score in the Index of Effluency--as determined by a super-secret equation including vehicle age, general hooptieness, reliability of country of origin, unlikelihood of success, and the Organizers' whim--receives $501, plus a free entry in the team's next race.

B

My Locker

Last edited by SVXRide; 09-23-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:21 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Starting to look like we'll be able to jump between the two fairly easily.

LeMONS requirements:

2.1: Vehicle Eligibility: Entry limited to mass-produced, four-wheeled vehicles legal for US highway use at the time of their manufacture. Vehicles must be acquired and prepared for a maximum of $500 as described in Section 4. Vehicles must meet all safety standards laid out in Section 3. The vehicle's original, manufacturer-stated curb weight may not exceed 4200 pounds. Individual waivers may be granted; just don't ask about Peterbilts, Zambonis, sidecars, or golf carts again. We already said no

2.3: Tire Eligibility: DOT-approved street tires only, minimum treadwear rating 190; no exceptions. BTW, don't call us to moan that there aren't any good tires sold in that range. That's the damn point.

Note: the tire requirement may not be that much of a problem as the street tire classes in SCCA are going to be bumped from the current wear rating of 140 up to 200 in the coming season (or so I've been told)

Bill

My Locker
Old 09-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Last input for the night.

Roll cage requirement for LeMONS:

3.1: Rollbar and Structure: Professionally made full rollcage required. A poorly built, improperly mounted, or badly engineered rollcage will keep you from racing: Don't show up with crap! Cages originally created as bolt-ins will not pass without extensive modifications; these mods usually cost more time and money than just starting with the right weld-in cage. At minimum, cage must include: Full front and rear hoop, appropriately braced to each other along the roofline (halo type and side/downbar type are also acceptable); two driver-side door bars (X-design is acceptable); appropriate main-hoop backstays with no bends, located as close to 45 degrees from horizontal as practical; one main-hoop diagonal; appropriate spreader plates and gussets; complete 360-degree welds at all joints, including all car-to-cage joints. Each major load-bearing member must be formed from a single, continuous tube. Shoulder-harness bars are necessary for proper shoulder-harness mounting in nearly all applications (the harness-to-bar attachment point must be between zero and 15 degrees lower than the harness's seat-entry point). Dash bars are very strongly encouraged. On all sides, all drivers' helmeted heads must be at least two inches inside the area enclosed by the cage.

3.1.1: Rollbar Tubing and Padding: Minimum tubing size for cars weighing under 3000 pounds as raced is 1.50" x .120" or 1.75" x .095". Cars weighing over 3000 pounds as raced must use a minimum tubing size of 1.75" x.120". Properly bent, racecar-grade and -quality tubing is mandatory: no stretched or crushed bends allowed. DOM mild steel is very strongly recommended over ERW (seamed) tubing.
3.1.2: Don't understand any of the above? See where it states "professionally made." You shouldn't be doing this yourself.
3.1.3: All roll cage tubing must be padded with high-density rollbar padding wherever a driver may contact the tube--head, knees, elbows, etc.
3.1.4: All attachment points on the vehicle must be selected and reinforced as necessary so that, in an accident, the cage will not punch through, tear, or grossly distort the attachment point. Spreader plates of at least 24 square inches; backing panels; gussets; and/or other reinforcing elements are generally required to meet this goal. Cages mounted to rusty, thin, under-supported, or otherwise stupid attachment points will flunk tech immediately.

Dave/Ben - how does this compare to what you had welded into the Racer?

Bill

My Locker
Old 09-24-2012, 05:20 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

The only part that I'm not sure we had is "two driver-side door bars (X-design is acceptable)"

We had a rocker bar and a bar across the door. I'm not sure if the rocker bar could be included?
Old 09-24-2012, 07:45 AM
Fairmont State University
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to radarwhiz
Registered SVX

Quote:

Tom
I've had this bouncing around upstairs for a while. Been wanting to try it but don't have people or enough $$ on my own. I'd definitely be available around my school schedule.

'08 ML550 daily driver
'13 F150 work truck
'87 MR2 racecar
'92 Lsl Claret 5sp

"Be kind to your motor car." - Jackie Stewart
Old 09-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Okay, so we've got the beginnings of a potentially kick-butt SVX racing team

Tom J
Dave
Nate
Elizar

So, we're in the zone for the number of drivers required for LeMONS...

Tom -- think Dan might be interested?

OT -- you out there, old man?

Ben -- ???

-Bill

My Locker
Old 09-24-2012, 10:29 PM

I have no idea what this is... but it sounds fun as hell.
count me in... if I could be of use!
Old 09-25-2012, 05:04 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Wish I lived closer....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 09-25-2012, 08:51 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369 View Post
Wish I lived closer....
So move already!

Bill

My Locker

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: