Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-31-2012, 06:32 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
TPS problems

Well to sum it up I haven't driven the pearlie in 2 months because of this. The voltage fully closed one way is 1.3 and open at 2.3. Now I suspected a bad tps so I switched it with one from my red car and got the same results.

The way it drives is like it wont shift right because of the tps being so off and when you give it gas like WOOT it cuts all power and kicks in after a sec then revs to high rpms and takes forever to engage the gear, again i'm assuming because of the tps. Any help is appreciated cause I really would like to get this thing back in shape. Thanks.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress

Last edited by redlightningsvx; 08-31-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:48 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: TPS problems

<<self edit>>
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007

Last edited by Sean486; 08-31-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:03 PM

Registered SVX

Didn't think of that, i'll try it out tomorrow after work. Also don't know if it matters but it has 4.44's and I swapped the motor recently. BUT it ran awsome after the swap then all of the sudden did this. I also did the bead crush to try and help the cut off and it did little to nothing.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 08-31-2012, 07:07 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

I edited my post, somehow I am thinking it is not that easy and figured someone smarter should answer.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 09-01-2012, 10:10 AM

Registered SVX

Looked in the FSM and it says if the tps is bad to replace the whole throttle body!!! But the sensor is good when i switched it to the red one. It just wont go into spec in the white one. Anymore thoughts?
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 09-01-2012, 01:27 PM

Registered SVX

Ok tried some other tests and heres what I got....
TPS read 6 ohms
wires 2-3 fully closed read 6.1 ohms Spec is 10-12
wires 2-3 fully open read 1.7 ohms Spec is 3-5

Also when sweeping it to open/closed the ohms spiked when I got to about4-5 ohms, it then jumped to between 10-25 then back down to 6.1 when it got fully closed.

Just tested the wires to ground and got these
Black wire= infinite
white wire= .78
red wire= 3.18
The book says all should be minimum 1 ohms so i'm guessing the harness is bad? Luckilly I have an extra one laying around but want to confirm before I rip the intake off.
Any thoughts?
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress

Last edited by redlightningsvx; 09-01-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:22 PM

Registered SVX

Tested the new harness and got the same readings so im going to check the ecu connection then swapping ecus to eliminate stuff
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 09-01-2012, 03:06 PM

Registered SVX

swapped ECU's and nothing changed so last is the main harness. which connector to the ecu and pins do I check the ohms on?

EDIT: So far i have swapped intake harness, TCU, ECU, and TPS and it fixed nothing.
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress

Last edited by redlightningsvx; 09-01-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:23 PM

Registered SVX

Ok I give up I tested litterally EVERYTHING and they are all in spec. It just wont go into adjustment. Only thing I haven't replaced is the damn TB.
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 09-01-2012, 04:52 PM

Registered SVX

I was going to say this earlier but got busy.

The black wire your not getting any ohm reading on, black usually indicates a ground wire and no reading means its not grounding, that could easily be the problem. either a break in the wire someplace or the ground point is corroded and not making contact like it should.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:07 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
I was going to say this earlier but got busy.

The black wire your not getting any ohm reading on, black usually indicates a ground wire and no reading means its not grounding, that could easily be the problem. either a break in the wire someplace or the ground point is corroded and not making contact like it should.
I rechecked my readings and they were off cause I didn't test it right the first time. After retesting them they are in spec. I don't know why the FSM would say to replace the throttle body for a bad tps but after work tomorrow I might rip the one off the red one to the white one, it's literally my last option.
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 09-02-2012, 08:34 PM

Registered SVX

Ok got it semi-fixed. Harvey suggested I check the ground from the bell housing to the firewall and I found it covered in grime/not connected. So I cleaned it and tightly reconnected it and the TPS reads back into spec. So then I readjusted the TPS which I know is bad cause it read 6ohms back to .48-.5. I then drove it around and it defiantly drives better but still bogs out when you give it half throttle and doesn't want to downshift when you press the pedal to activate power mode. I'm going to check the timing and maybe put my good TPS from my car back in and see if that helps.
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 09-02-2012, 09:22 PM

I was having same issues... kinda.
I cleaned aic and throttle body off junkyard car.
put it on my car... much better now.

Now I plan to do the same cleaning of throttle body and aic the one that came off my car and put it back on with new gaskets.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:42 PM

Registered SVX

I just cleaned them both before I test drove it.
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 09-03-2012, 01:18 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveherman View Post
I was having same issues... kinda.
I cleaned aic and throttle body off junkyard car.
put it on my car... much better now.

Now I plan to do the same cleaning of throttle body and aic the one that came off my car and put it back on with new gaskets.
Check the grounds, that might be the problem.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album