How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Reading Meet

Old 01-18-2012, 07:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Re: Activities for Reading 13

Not an activity, but are commemorative t shirts being considered?
Old 01-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
Not an activity, but are commemorative t-shirts being considered?
Commemorating what exactly? The lowest number signed up so far in the history of Reading?

98 days to go. The hotel has reserved 35 rooms for us for each of the 3 nights for almost a 10 months.

So far, only 6 rooms have been reserved.

The last thing we commemorated was Reading X: "The Year of the Pace Car"

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 01-18-2012, 08:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Commemorating what exactly? The lowest number signed up so far in the history of Reading?

98 days to go. The hotel has reserved 35 rooms for us for each of the 3 nights for almost a 10 months.

So far, only 6 rooms have been reserved.

The last thing we commemorated was Reading X: "The Year of the Pace Car"

John-

No offense, really, but I don't think a bad attitude is going to help your cause. It seems like you're taking this WAYYYY too personally.
2001 Audi S8
Old 01-18-2012, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...36&postcount=1

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reading Chart.jpg (70.3 KB, 234 views)

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 01-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...7&postcount=15
Old 01-19-2012, 12:43 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Lightbulb Re: Activities for Reading 13

The whole car buffing would include buffing the headlights.

How about a headlight buffing product face-off? Mother's vs. DuPont, etc.
Tom will apply the various concoctions to all $20 contributors, & we'll vote as to who's lenses most resemble John's. Tom will receive the "High Buffoon" trophy for his efforts.

Ron.

PS- I ain't signed up yet, but tranny willin' I'll be there.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:31 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mummert View Post
The whole car buffing would include buffing the headlights.

How about a headlight buffing product face-off? Mother's vs. DuPont, etc.
Tom will apply the various concoctions to all $20 contributors, & we'll vote as to who's lenses most resemble John's. Tom will receive the "High Buffoon" trophy for his efforts.

Ron.

PS- I ain't signed up yet, but tranny willin' I'll be there.
NO, NO!
A PROFESHIONAL BUFFER will be doing the buffing!
Ron, stop in on the way up and we can check your transmission temperature.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 01-22-2012, 07:16 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX

Those activities mentioned sound great, especially OT's wax garage in the parking lot.

Last year we had a "side trip" to the Train Museum, which was really neat, even though we had VERY limited time there. How about this as an activity?

Regarding the "drinking" mentioned in one of the posts - one DOES NOT HAVE TO DRINK if one does not want to do so. And there will be lots of "sober" folks that are interesting to converse with.

And allow me to defend John Hoffman a bit here. He has been a driving force of one in keeping the READING Meet going over the years. He is understandably a bit tired of doing most of the work. Not many are willing to step up and help organize a meet, and it seems that the ones complaining the most (about nothing to do) are the same ones that NEVER help out, but would rather enjoy the efforts of others. Stop complaining and be proactive. Just my 2 cents ...
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 01-23-2012, 05:55 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsvx View Post

And allow me to defend John Hoffman a bit here. He has been a driving force of one in keeping the READING Meet going over the years. He is understandably a bit tired of doing most of the work. Not many are willing to step up and help organize a meet, and it seems that the ones complaining the most (about nothing to do) are the same ones that NEVER help out, but would rather enjoy the efforts of others. Stop complaining and be proactive. Just my 2 cents ...
Or some HAVE offered and been ignored. This is a 2 way street here....

And my criticism for the planning (or lack there of) of the 20th meet has been towards the mods/admins as a group and not only John. I realize it may be coming off that way. The others should be more active in helping with the meets, as well as other things around here. Either that or some things need to be "shaken" up.

Edit: I wonder if this post will get deleted just like the other thread. Apparently criticism and making people realize the truth just gets deleted....

Last edited by 1986nate; 01-23-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:17 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX

Nate,
If people have offered and have not been taken up on the offer(s), then that is definitely NOT COOL!! Dave mentioned the same thing.....

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 01-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

When I was looking for ideas for activities for Reading 13, I thought I was asking for more than just suggestions; I expected a little help and enthusiasm.

When Dave suggested rally, concours and scenic drive, no one ignored or affirmed this idea on purpose. No one said " great idea" and it was not my place to delegate and say "great idea, now you go and handle it."

I guess I expected something like "I live in the area and am familiar with the roads and attractions. Tell me about how long a drive you want and I'll map out a scenic drive for the meet. I can print out some maps or directions to follow. About halfway through the drive is a great little restaurant we can stop and get something to eat. We can then continue the leisurely drive back to the hotel".

Same with a rally. It is hard to organize one from a distance away to far in advance with any success. Roads change, construction, detours, etc.

I would expect those members in the area around Morgantown to do a little more than just make blanket suggestions and feel that lets them off the hook. You are much more aware of what is going on than those who get there only once a year.

Nothing wrong with investing a little of your own time and taking the initiative to plan something on your own. Present it to the network as being somewhat worked out and ask for assistance if you need it.

No one "suggested" the Pace Car for Reading X, but once I found out it might work, I pursued it from a distance. That was a over a year of work... and there was no guarantee it would even show up until 48 hours before the meet (due to weather conditions.)

Everyone assumes that the hotel contract and all relevant threads will be taken care of every year. No problem but there needs to be more involvement.

Its easy to just say: " Let's see the Pace Car again... how about raffling off another SVX?..." and on and on. Talk is cheap. Give me some initiative and some action on your own.

If you can't, then there is not much hope left for restoring Reading to its glory days.

Still time for someone local to pull out a map or check out the area on some Saturday afternoon. I haven't even heard one word about donations for the Reading raffle during the past year. I can't always guarantee you a high-output alternator, one of Nevin's swaybar, or a set of powdercoated calipers, but there has to be something of value out there.

Sorry for the rant. After 11 years, the Little Red Hen is getting older and tired. I'm having a full knee replacement in March, so I probably won't be there anyway.

At least you have a guarantee you will have somewhere to sleep, if not much else.

Last edited by svxcess; 01-23-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

I echo Nate's posts. I volunteered in November to help out and heard nothing. It certainly is a two way street. The Reading meet, as far as I know, is John's baby so I never wanted to step on his toes and kind of take charge of this event. I certainly wouldn't have minded but it just didn't seem to be my place.

It's truly sad to read John's post as of late, considering he's one of the founding fathers of this forum and an invaluable asset to the community. But as John has alluded to, he is getting older and the stress associated with the meet may be too much to bare.

I certainly hope that we can salvage the Reading meet. Perhaps moving forward we should establish an event planning committee. I for one would be eager and willing to spearhead this endeavor, but again like I said I am neither a moderator nor an admin so I am reluctant to speak out of turn...
Old 01-24-2012, 10:39 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

John makes a good point about people who are local doing a lot of the leg work. I tried to get some support from an upstate NY Subaru dealer (MAJOR dealer) and they were hesitant to help as Subaru has a rule that dealers can only advertise within a certain distance of their dealership. So that means someone needs to contact a dealership they know well in the area, for example.

I will again offer an idea for next year, 2013. While I understand the tradition and convenience of Reading, there is a lot more to do in other areas of the Northeast. I live just south of the finger lakes and could organize a crap load of events (tour or the wineries, tour of the Corning Museum of Glass which is huge and much nicer than you would imagine, group drive to an Amish farmer's market, cruise/dinner on one of the lakes, sunday brunch, trip to a huge factory outlet center, hike up a gorge and others) and get at least two major sponsors from local dealers and probably a third from a grocery chain. We might even be able to rent out the Watkins Glen race track. There are state parks in the area (on and off the lake) that allow alcohol so we wouldn't even have to sit in a parking lot. If someone has a similar situation in an area close to them, they can propose a move to that location as well. People local to the area are the ones best suited to organize events. Tom's idea of a group polish is great because it doesn't necessarily require local involvement but it is tough to come up with ideas like these.

One location in PA that comes to mind as another alternative is Hershey.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything

Last edited by Huskymaniac; 01-24-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:44 AM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Or some HAVE offered and been ignored. This is a 2 way street here....

And my criticism for the planning (or lack there of) of the 20th meet has been towards the mods/admins as a group and not only John. I realize it may be coming off that way. The others should be more active in helping with the meets, as well as other things around here. Either that or some things need to be "shaken" up.

Edit: I wonder if this post will get deleted just like the other thread. Apparently criticism and making people realize the truth just gets deleted....
Standard Policy here is that nothing, short of duplicate threads get deleted. Just because you cant see it doesnt mean its been deleted. I personally am unaware of the post/thread you are referring to. If you wish to know more, PM me and I will research this.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX View Post
Standard Policy here is that nothing, short of duplicate threads get deleted. Just because you cant see it doesnt mean its been deleted. I personally am unaware of the post/thread you are referring to. If you wish to know more, PM me and I will research this.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54330

Issue resolved?
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: