How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-11-2002, 11:13 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

The big SVX problem.

The problem with my SVX is the gas peddle. I always want to push it to the floor because it is fun. Yes, accelerating around a corner from 25 to 40, feeling the g’s and the sticking power of the tires, pressed to the back of the seat and then up the entrance ramp and leaving at 90 is great fun. BUT it is not good for the car. Very hard on the front CV joints, turning and accelerating, hard on the trans etc…….

Not to mention the fun it is stomping on the brakes at 90 and bringing the car down to 55 on the highway. BUT that is not good for the brakes, wraps the rotors and wears out the pads and rotors.

AND then there is the cornering, leaving the highway at about 60 and sliding thru a few 180 deg turns, the tire squealing, g’s pulling me out of the seat, passing cars. BUT that is really hard on the tires.

I don’t drive fast on bumpy roads any more cause that is way too costly even though it is the most fun cause the car is glued to the road.

PARTS I need lots of parts cheap. If I am going to keep driving this way or I have to slow down and that is very hard in the SVX.

So I have a question? How many of you can drive this car slow most of the time?

And I have another question. Do most of the higher horsepower (say 180+) cars wear out everything faster?

Thanks
John
Old 09-11-2002, 11:37 AM
Ca$h

Hrm. I know what you mean. My neon is getting pretty tired from be beating the hell out of it (read driving enthusiastically), but man, I am in love with my SVX. I baby it. I take it pretty slow around town about 90% of the time. On the highway, I always ease the gas gradually to my cruising speed (80). I just like this car too much to have it die anytime soon.

- Ca$h
Old 09-11-2002, 12:05 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ca$h
Hrm. I know what you mean. My neon is getting pretty tired from be beating the hell out of it (read driving enthusiastically), but man, I am in love with my SVX. I baby it. I take it pretty slow around town about 90% of the time. On the highway, I always ease the gas gradually to my cruising speed (80). I just like this car too much to have it die anytime soon.

- Ca$h
Ditto Ca$h's comment (except for the Neon part - I don't have one). Jackie Stewart (F1 racing champion) said that the best way to drive fast is to go slow - I think by that he meant anticipating, taking it easy on the equipment, and driving smoothly. If you're looking and thinking ahead, you can start increasing speed gradually so that you're at the necessary speed when you need to be, rather than having to suddenly hammer the accelerator. He was still able to reach high speeds, and also finish the race. There's a visceral thrill to driving hard, but at this stage with an SVX, I get more fun out of driving intelligently.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 09-11-2002, 12:19 PM

Most of my driving is done in rush hour traffic which is moving at ~50 to 70 mph, with about 15 lights thrown in over 15 miles, and about 2 miles of town driving where 25 and 35 mph speed limits are enforced. So my driving tends to be smooth and steady. But, I really look forward to having to stop for gas, and then merging into briskly moving traffic. That is about the only time when I get to feel the pressure against my back.
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: The big SVX problem.

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
So I have a question? How many of you can drive this car slow most of the time?

Thanks
John
When it comes to the SVX, I don't like the phrase, 'drive it like you stole it.' The Justy, sure, I flog that thing thoroughly. For the SVX I say, 'drive it like you love it.'

The SVX only wants to treat you to a comfortable ride. In return, it only asks to be treated nicely. A power-mode run up an on-ramp once in awhile is fine, but I never thrash my SVX.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-11-2002, 02:53 PM
gcookaustin

Re: Re: The big SVX problem.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

The SVX only wants to treat you to a comfortable ride. In return, it only asks to be treated nicely. A power-mode run up an on-ramp once in awhile is fine, but I never thrash my SVX.
Yeah. You have to ask yourself, "If I was this car, how would I want to be driven?" And then drive like that. I accelerate insanely slow, but in slower traffic with stoplights, if I anticipate instead of mashing the brakes then I keep a steadier speed and get much better MPGs, keep the current transmission, not change the brake pads so often, etc.
Old 09-11-2002, 03:27 PM

Cars should be driven aggresively in some ways and be babied in others. I like to accelerate fast and cruise at fast speeds. Reving between 3500 and 5000 RPM. Often enough, people love to accelerate as slowly as they can from stop lights. Sometimes I'll stick with them, accelerating just as fast as they do, to get an Idea of how they're driving. Let's just say its absolutely rediculous. But then again, you won't see ripping 90 degree tuns at 40 MPH and slamming on my breaks. I've always driven this way and all of my cars have held up really well.

Last edited by DavieGravy; 09-11-2002 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-11-2002, 03:28 PM
Hater

Re: Re: The big SVX problem.

Quote:

When it comes to the SVX, I don't like the phrase, 'drive it like you stole it.' The Justy, sure, I flog that thing thoroughly. For the SVX I say, 'drive it like you love it.'

yeah, i have that quote in my signature, but i really don't drive it like that i try to remember what the SVX really is (a grand TOURING car), then i kinda remember to drive it that way.
i do think, however, that a tossable, great handling car is more fun to drive than a high powered car. my old 928 made the SVX seem like an SUV as far as handling and power, and i really miss that. i won't miss it in the winter, the repair bills, and the weak AC. if you want to go ripping around corners, the SVX just isn't the right car. high speed comfortable cruising in any weather is what it does best.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 09-11-2002, 06:35 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dick Young

There's a visceral thrill to driving hard, but at this stage with an SVX, I get more fun out of driving intelligently.
Lemme clarify - I didn't mean that anyone in this thread drives unintelligently. I've thrashed a few cars myself, especially my wife's Civic EX coupe with the VTEC engine. I really meant that, when driving the SVX, I get more enjoyment from driving with smoothness and finesse, seeing if I can drive both quickly and gently, and putting off the tranny rebuild as long as possible.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 09-12-2002, 01:00 AM
Only SVX @ UCF (Cool!)

Send a message via AIM to svxjoe
Talking Pimp mode

I guess I like to go slow.....on all streets.

Except Interstate driving...my goal is good time.

But there are good things about driving slower, not dead slow, but gradual;

1.) less wear and tear on the engine, brakes, and tires.

2.) Less speeding tickets

3.) Less chance of fatal accident

4.) (catch this terminology) Pimpin, flossin, sportin, pushin, rollin the SVX. You get way more looks and questions this way...I don't know, I kinda enjoy it. Girls actually can talk to the guy in the wierd, but cool, car instead of seeing it fly right by.

-SVXJoe
Old 09-12-2002, 12:23 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Pimp mode

Quote:
Originally posted by svxjoe
4.) (catch this terminology) Pimpin, flossin, sportin, pushin, rollin the SVX. You get way more looks and questions this way...I don't know, I kinda enjoy it. Girls actually can talk to the guy in the wierd, but cool, car instead of seeing it fly right by.

-SVXJoe
I drive the SVX through the UofM campus occasionally for the looks. 90% of the comments come from guys, but who cares. I'm married anyway - I'm hardly trolling.

The weird thing is, I'm not necessarily doing this for my own ego. I feel like I'm doing it to promote awareness of the car.

That's even more sick. :P

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-12-2002, 12:45 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Re: Re: Pimp mode

Quote:

That's even more sick. :P
Hahaha! YOU said it, not me. I only agree!

I love to drive hard and fast. Unfortunately, I have two things going against me. First, I'm old, and sort of have that reputation to uphold. Second, I have a fish emblem (you know, IXOYE, ichthus, <*}}}>< <---that thing) on the back of the car, and Christians are trashed enough for their (usually well deserved) hypocrisy, without identifying themselves as they drive like evil incarnate.

Saving the car for the next owner? Nah. I don't have vinyl runners on my carpets either.
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 09-12-2002, 01:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
i love the svx,, its the only car that has the looks of no other car AWD and some power..

whene i went looking for a car after i sold my dsm. i wanted AWD i wouldnt take anything less.. i wanted car with some go . and i wanted something that looked like no other car.. the svx foot the bill

i have always loved the svx even whene it 1st came out.. its a style that gets better with age.. but u have to have weird tastes for this car.. not many cars have svx looks and its a love or hate it look
Old 09-14-2002, 04:05 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Having had my SVX since August 27th, I can honestly say that I harbour feelings of desire for the car that are normally reserved for other human beings, such as my g/f! After the more sick among you read all sorts of perversions into that last statement, Iwould have to say that I love the power of the car, that is there at the loud pedal and the torque that allows you to waft along. I don't thrash it since I have a) yet to fit a tranny cooler and filter, b) don't want to stuff up any of the parts above and c) it drinks fuel like a v12!!!!

That said, I will give it some stick but only on isolated roads that are straight and then only briefly....most lately 30 mins ago (still grinning) down a mountain road....Subaru, what is wrong with you....bring back the SVX!!!

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 09-14-2002, 02:15 PM

congratulations!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamsvx
Having had my SVX since August 27th...
Glad you finally found one, J!! Any pics yet?

Automobile magazine, September 1991, states:

" The SVX's general demeanor is one of versatility. There seems to be no pace at which it is not happy, nor one it particularly prefers. The car simply goes at whatever speed you desire, always with enough aplomb to make the experience worth anticipating. "

This sums my experience. This LSi is as much at home in Seattle traffic to & from work or running the usual household errands as it is when driven for the sheer joy of it. My best moments this year: northbound I-5 between Medford and Roseburg Oregon, where the highway threads between the Siskiyou and Cascade mountain range, with long, fast sweepers, tighter up-and-down esses, and short, straight bursts at speeds well over the ton.

Man, that's livin'!