How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-16-2011, 08:27 PM

Registered SVX
ABS/cruise fuse

The other day when I was driving on the Interstate, I noticed that my cruise control wasn't working. I remembered that I had taken the ABS fuses out when I first bought the car (reason: one of my wheel speed sensors is bad and I'm too cheap to replace it, and also I don't like ABS in the first place), so I made a mental note to check and see if cruise is on the same circuit.
When I got home I checked it and sure enough, the fuse panel cover said ABS/Cruise for the same fuse ('92 LSL). So I put the fuse back in so I could try it next time I was on the highway.

The first thing I noticed when I started the car in the morning was that my power steering worked! The PS also had never worked since I got the car and I assumed it had something to do with the rack since it leaks terribly and drips on the exhaust pipe (which makes smoke that serves as bug repellent ). Manual steering is a good workout...
Weird.

The next thing I noticed as I was coming up to a stop sign is that my engine held me back when I downshifted from D to 3rd and 2nd! (that's a habit from driving trucks. I wish my SVX had an exhaust brake )
I had never had any engine braking except in 1st gear.
Awesome! (I like saving my brakes)

Then when I finally got to a fairly flat, straight section of the road where I could actually get up to 50 mph, I found that my cruise control worked.

So I fixed three things and learned to never believe the fuse panel cover!

Last edited by SVX8588; 11-17-2011 at 05:49 PM. Reason: spelling error...
Old 11-17-2011, 05:36 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: ABS/cruise fuse

Very interesting. I'll have to check this out. My ABS and Cruise have never worked on my Ebony '92 and about 6 months ago my power steering got very stiff at parking speeds. I figured the speed sensing component had failed and it defaulted to stiff highway speed feel.