How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-07-2002, 02:55 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Classic Car Insurance

I just looked up an insurance quote for my SVX at www.grundy.com Assuming a value of $10000 my rate was $170 for $100,000 liability with comprehensive and collision for unlimited miles. Any thoughts on this? It still says I can drive my car for pleasure and clubs and tours. Since I have a daily drive would this work for me?
Old 09-08-2002, 11:50 AM
Ca$h

Classic cars have to be 20 years old though, don't they?

- Ca$h
Old 09-08-2002, 01:46 PM
I_Alcyone_I

Holy crap, my premium would be 100 dollars, is that 1 month premium? even if it is I'd be cutting my insurance in a 3rd
Old 09-08-2002, 06:33 PM

issurance

I see nothing about mandatory classic plates which in each state is a different requirement. It just states that the car must be garaged and it must be used for pleasure purposes. I think I'll give a call this week.
Old 09-08-2002, 07:25 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

Re: issurance

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
I see nothing about mandatory classic plates which in each state is a different requirement. It just states that the car must be garaged and it must be used for pleasure purposes. I think I'll give a call this week.
In PA for a car to be a classic it muct be 10 years old and out of production. I have that kind of insurance on my Camaro and i only pay $150.00 a year for a stated value of $12,000.
I might check to see if I can get it for my SVX also.I do only drive it for pleasure use anyway.
Good idea Ben

I just got done doing a quote for my two cars. $267.00 a year for both.Definetly going to look into it now.

Last edited by nubs; 09-08-2002 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-08-2002, 08:18 PM
I_Alcyone_I

Well I get pleasure out of driving it wherever I go, does that count?
Old 09-09-2002, 07:44 AM

Classic car insurance

www.grundy.com doesn't say anything about age nor that you need to get a classic tag for it. In fact they illude to the idea that as long as its a collector type car it would qualify.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:15 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

Re: Classic car insurance

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
www.grundy.com doesn't say anything about age nor that you need to get a classic tag for it. In fact they illude to the idea that as long as its a collector type car it would qualify.

Bad news.Just got off of the phone with Grundy Worldwide. Our cars are not included. By their definition it is not considered classic yet. Must be at least 25 years old.
I think that the website is very misleading.

Here is what is reads in the FAQ"S

Is there an age limitation for the vehicle, or are some models excluded from eligibility for collector vehicle insurance?
In most states any vehicle in excellent original or restored condition, used and maintained as a hobby vehicle can be considered for classic car insurance by Grundy Worldwide. (Other carriers have age limitations).

Last edited by nubs; 09-09-2002 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:32 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Classic car insurance

Quote:
Originally posted by nubs

Bad news.Just got off of the phone with Grundy Worldwide. Our cars are not included. By their definition it is not considered classic yet. Must be at least 25 years old.
I think that the website is very misleading.

Here is what is reads in the FAQ"S

Is there an age limitation for the vehicle, or are some models excluded from eligibility for collector vehicle insurance?
In most states any vehicle in excellent original or restored condition, used and maintained as a hobby vehicle can be considered for classic car insurance by Grundy Worldwide. (Other carriers have age limitations).
I agree - that is very misleading. I kinda wonder why they don't just flat out tell you that their minimum vehicle age is 25. They'd save themselves an awful lot of trouble, and we wouldn't be disappointed in them for misleading us. If I hada car that was older than 25, I'd consider them. As it is now, I think they're sorta shady and I'd think twice before calling them about their services.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-09-2002, 03:53 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

Re: Re: Re: Classic car insurance

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I agree - that is very misleading. I kinda wonder why they don't just flat out tell you that their minimum vehicle age is 25. They'd save themselves an awful lot of trouble, and we wouldn't be disappointed in them for misleading us. If I hada car that was older than 25, I'd consider them. As it is now, I think they're sorta shady and I'd think twice before calling them about their services.
I checked with my local agent that I have my Camaro insured(American Collectors Insurance) with,to see if they would do the SVX also. He pretty much told me they would not do it.
He also said that Grundy would probably not do it either.He was right.To many people out there that would take advantage of it to screw the insurance industry.If that is possible.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:09 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Classic Car Insurance

Bumping and old thread, but maybe more relevant now. My SVX was manufactured 8/91 which means it will be 25 this year (and if they go strictly by model year it will qualify in January.)

Seems my insurance option may be more limited though since the car won't be garaged, but I hear maybe State Farm doesn't require. Anyone else looking into this?
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 05-21-2016, 04:01 PM
dances with roads

Registered SVX

I dabbled in quotes briefly from Hagerty etc. before coming to the realization that they're pretty much the same as my current insurer. The fact that I put very few miles on the car didn't seem to matter as much as I expected/hoped.

Mind you I was getting quotes on a 2007 car.
2012 Tacoma 4wd v6 Access Cab
2013 Mercedes E350 4Matic Wagon
2005 STi - totaled after 10 great years
1994 SVX LSi 5spd - sold but not forgotten
2000 Legacy GT 5spd sedan - gone after 150K miles of bliss
Old 05-22-2016, 01:13 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
I just looked up an insurance quote for my SVX at www.grundy.com Assuming a value of $10000 my rate was $170 for $100,000 liability with comprehensive and collision for unlimited miles. Any thoughts on this? It still says I can drive my car for pleasure and clubs and tours. Since I have a daily drive would this work for me?
For what it's worth, I wouldn't insure ANY car today for less than $2,000,000 liability. If you maim or kill somebody you're going to need that coverage.

BTW I checked "Collector" insurance here and in Canada it doesn't exist. If you want to get collision / all peril for a higher than book value all you need to do is get a professional appraisal done which the insurer can then quote on and underwrite.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
Bumping and old thread, but maybe more relevant now. My SVX was manufactured 8/91 which means it will be 25 this year (and if they go strictly by model year it will qualify in January.)

Seems my insurance option may be more limited though since the car won't be garaged, but I hear maybe State Farm doesn't require. Anyone else looking into this?
We went with State Farm a few years back for our daily drivers. The "agreed value" by State Farm actually will pay the LESSER of the agreed value or the current book value so you would get book value if you wreck it. I stayed with Hagerty as the only reason we looked into it was to get our vehicles stacked, but by law in PA if stacked is selected they are stacked across policies by different manufacturers.