Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2011, 03:23 PM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX
Re: should i buy the SVX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
R those dents I see , (one behind the pass door and one on the driver side rear fender by the light ) or it it just reflection. If it was mine , until I could afford the paint job, I would 120 sand & paint the roof with a can of black automotive paint . BTW I am great with rattle cans. Go real slow and fine even coats stand on a ladder / for the bumpers I would sand them with 120 paper and I would get Bumper paint at the same store. The interior is the best part, that is not that ruff. at least it looks ok. None are pristine. Hey it is 20 years old. Clean it with some leather cleaner and then treat it with conditioner. NOW u say white smoke . I hope you don't mean sweet smelling white vapor . That is the sign of a head gasket failure . If it is oil smell then it is just valve seals and it could be from sitting awhile . TAKE pictures as you go
the pass door one is a dent but the driver side i don't remember
how much would it cost to paint the roof and the bumpers?(if i do it myself)
no it smells like burnt oil...no biggy right?
Old 07-08-2011, 03:38 PM

Registered SVX

Not a real biggy it does have a few miles under it . It is drivable keep an eye on the oil level . Better than the smell of antifreeze. You can't drive it if the head gasket is gone. But I would think it would have overheated when you test drove it. Bumper paint is cheap. Or do u mean the right color. If it is a 3 part ( I don't think it is ) . U can get rattle cans made art a auto parts store that sells paint . $15.00 a can for color and $13.00 for the clear. 3 of each might do it . If 3 part than you need an additional can of pearl or flake . So u bought it? how Much?/
Old 07-08-2011, 03:40 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_12121 View Post
it has no treads...completely worn out...the rears are good, the front right is at 50% and the front left is just like slick tires:P
Sounds like 4 new tires to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_12121 View Post
is it usual for these cars to kinda smoke white and smelly when they are cold?
No. Usually (but not always) white smoke from the exhaust means burning coolant, blue = burning oil, black = running really rich. I've seen white smoke that was burning oil though. If it's been sitting for a while, I'd wait until it's been driven around a bit to judge. Leaking valve stem seals can cause a bit of oil to pool above the intake valves while the car is sitting that will take a little bit to burn off.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 07-08-2011, 04:12 PM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
So u bought it? how Much?/
no, not yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Sounds like 4 new tires to me.
the rears are like new...i'll post pics for you guys to decide(2 or 4)

yeah, it's been sitting for ~2 months...so if i drive it for a while and the smoke stops, then it's fine?

anything special to check with the transmission?
Old 07-08-2011, 04:19 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

You want to know how many miles are on the transmission, and what exactly it was replaced with (a stock SVX trans or something else like a 4.44). It would also be great if it was still under warranty.

Find out exactly how many miles are on the rear tires. If it's really really little, then you might be able to get away with replacing just the front two if you use the exact same model of tires.

If the smoke goes away after driving it a couple times and it only does it at startup, I wouldn't give it another thought. About the worst case scenario when it comes to smoke from the exhaust is a bad headgasket, but that wouldn't be just at startup. If it passed inspection, then it's probably fine.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 07-08-2011, 06:13 PM
#1 BRODAWG!

Registered SVX

My car sometimes smokes white at startup. Especially if it's sat for a bit. it has stopped recently but that's because it gets driven more. It runs fine too, except for the crap idle
Old 07-08-2011, 08:15 PM

Registered SVX

We are trying to help you so don't take offense to what we say. You have a few on here that are thinking straight for you. You are not unlike anyone else . You see the car you want and you forget to check things and have an unbiased opinion. That's what we are here for . Trying to steer you in the right direction .
Old 07-08-2011, 08:53 PM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

so i went and bought it. but i let it stay there so that he could fix some stuff for me(AC&bushing) he seemed to know about cars(he had a nissan 300 and a 240sx!)
the rear and front right side tires where new but the front one was from a different brand...does it matter?
he said the tranny was replaced with stock, 3k miles ago
apparently the smoke i talked about was gone(think he used it for a while so it burnt the oil inside the cylinder
as far as the electronics inside, they all worked but the roof and the side mirrors tried so hard to move!
Old 07-08-2011, 09:17 PM
#1 BRODAWG!

Registered SVX

Congrats! I would try to locate the same tires for all 4 rims. My sun roof and mirrors are also a bit slow. Worst comes to worse, the sunroof has a crank behind the cabin light. How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

Again,

Congrats and post some pictures!
Old 07-08-2011, 09:23 PM

Registered SVX

Sun roofs stick . Push open button and then push up on the rear of the panel.. it should open the rest of the way with the button. Mirrors stick if they have not been moved . Usually if only one person drives it they don't get touched . Make sure the L & R switch is in the right position for the mirror you are watching .Been there done that. did you get a good deal. I am selling my white one here in Conn. Too bad you are so far away. This would have been great for you .
Old 07-08-2011, 11:33 PM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

to be honest i didn't talk about anything more than 1000 and he didn't ask when i asked him to fix those things
but i mean he's fixing most of the bad stuff so it would be real good car after it
he also seemed to know this forum and some other ones!!!
i didn't buy it right away cuz he hadn't received the pink slip yet!
i'll probably get it by next wednesday
you guys helped me a lot...one of the best forums i've ever joined
Old 07-09-2011, 12:46 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Sweet, you're going to love it (or hate to love it) .. just treat it with respect and it'll do the same in return.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:12 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX

Seriously, congrats. Nice to see a n00b on here

This forum is awesome. In some ways it's a shame it's not near as active as it used to be because most of the old members have moved on... but it's still one of the best automotive forums I've been on.

Good luck, and remember to post here for anything you need. We'll all try our best to help out.

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.