How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-09-2011, 12:35 PM
The Molinator

Re: CA Smog .. ???

Thanks! I hate this SMOG crap.. . I've replaced dry air filter, sprayed MAF, run Techron cleaner already.. wonder if I shud change plugs.. I just replaced two years ago (~30K miles) for smog then.. ?

Sounds good! Thanks for the help.. .
I'll try equivalent of three (3) HEET red bottles per 8 gallons of premium gas. [Last test, I ran regular with my Ecutune Stage 1 v4 switch turned on??? Do you think that wudda affected idle HC's ?]

Thanks, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 05-09-2011, 12:38 PM

Registered SVX

running regular gas could hurt the HC count, you should ask lan if the ecutune chip can change the emissisons, i don't have one but i believe the chip makes the car run richer than stock
Old 05-09-2011, 02:06 PM
The Molinator

I don't know anybody's name here.. hardly at all.. SoRrY! Most don't use names? Is that "lan" .. like LAN?.. Member name.. ?
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 05-09-2011, 02:12 PM

Registered SVX

LAN short for Longassname. I think his name is Mike but am not sure, the guy who sells the ecutune stuff. You may want to ask him about it.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:14 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

haha, lan is short for "longassname" the guy who runs the ecutune website and is also a pretty active member here on the site.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-09-2011, 06:31 PM
The Molinator

YA! .. found him, Mike.. . He said, Yes it cudda made richer on the switched ON chip switch! He also suggests an upgrade to the Ecutune 1av1 .. saying I wud git better mileage AND performance.. pointing out to current gas price gouging... motivating me to make the investment.. Hmmm?

Whatta ya think? Know bout this chip versus my old Ecutune Stage 1 v4 .. ??

Thanks, Jim
Old 05-12-2011, 11:40 AM
The Molinator

Quote:
i think the screw faces the rear of the car but it has been a while so i cant say for sure not being at the car now. if you look at the linkage you will see that the throttle plate and lever is held open by an ear on the lever contacting part of the throttle body that is where the screw is.

There is no mention of an adjustment set screw for idle in the manuals. The only section discussing idle.. states NO load (N, or in D) = 610 rpm, LOAD (AC on).. N = 800 rpm, D = 700 rpm. I think it's all computer controlled.. .

SOOOoooo... I will try to have them do next smog test with AC ON! The higher rpm should help to get lower HC numbers.. RiGhT.. ??

Thanks, Jim
Old 05-12-2011, 03:09 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Run the chip in 93 octane mode, if anything it will lean it out some. I think the chip itself (either mode) makes the car run a bit richer. The stock ECU is supposed to run really lean for emissions.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-12-2011, 04:13 PM
The Molinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Run the chip in 93 octane mode, if anything it will lean it out some. I think the chip itself (either mode) makes the car run a bit richer. The stock ECU is supposed to run really lean for emissions.
What mode? My Ecutune Stage 1v4 has default or switch on (supposed to rich out for regular) positions..

STOCK ECU: I guess I cud take out Ecutune board, but dont have old resistor to return to stock comformation.. ??

LAN gave me the impression that either the old 1v4 or new 1av1 (that is being shipped to me now) switched position wud rich the mixture.. ?

I'm either gonna try with old 1v4 switch off (had ON last time failed) with just isopropanol mixed with premium gas to lower hydrocarbons/increase detonation.. or install new precats??

Found cheap online cats at Performance Peddler, but almost positive wont fly in CaLiFoRnIa.. wacko environmental zone. They need to be numbered and dated.. and approved specifically for CaLiFoRnIa!

Thanks, Jim
Old 05-12-2011, 04:25 PM

Registered SVX

i wouldn't replace the cats without figuring out what is ruining them or you will just ruin the new ones by the time you need to retest. running too rich will destroy the cats and probably already hurt the one you put on to pass the last test
Old 05-12-2011, 04:58 PM
The Molinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92snowmachine View Post
i wouldn't replace the cats without figuring out what is ruining them or you will just ruin the new ones by the time you need to retest. running too rich will destroy the cats and probably already hurt the one you put on to pass the last test
Dats wat I tink! So.. I just try to pass (up idle rpm to 800 if they let me run test with AC on?, and isoproponal).

Ya know.. I have run 95% of time with Ecutune Stage 1v4 chip switched ON.. which I was told was for regular gas. Now, I find "switch ON" is richer mixture! SO.. You may very well be right!

How do I evaluate for bad engine.. need rebuild.. ETC. ??? Wat R options for short block/rebuild.. ??

Thanks, Jim
Old 05-16-2011, 02:42 PM
The Molinator

I decided to try smog test before adding precats.

I did smog test with:

1) Ecutune Phase 1v4 chip SWITCH OFF (ON last time)

2) Premium gas (instead of regular used last time)

3) One bottle red HEET in about 4 gals gas (isopropanol)

4) Had smog testers run test with AC ON .. ECU boosts idle from 610 to 800 with AC ON!

PASSED EASILY! ... . YEEEAAAAAAH!!!

Who knows.. What Did What??? Just GlAd!

DMV

Thanks to you all!* Jim

* especially 92snowmachine! I'll never go to a smog test without my HEET!

Last edited by James Scott; 05-16-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:50 PM

now would be a good time to fill up with regular gas. Subaru is apparently ultra paraniod about running fuel cut with alchohol. Given the number of times I have run across warnings in the manuals to not run even E10 (wintergas) for extended periods.....

plus as old as they are, your rubber fuel lines don't need help drying out.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:54 PM

Registered SVX

glad to see you passed, and i agree with xt6wagon, you should fill your tank up the rest of the way to dillute the heet you put in. now you can concern yourself with better SVX projects
Old 05-16-2011, 04:26 PM
The Molinator

Why is the alcohol so bad? Wouldn't I have to run a lot before any damage to hoses or ??? I was under the impression we run 10% alcohol all the time in CaLiFoRnIa.. ?? Why does SUbaru warn against its use.. ??