Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-29-2010, 12:25 PM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX
Getting to root of tranny problem

Ok I've searched the threads and can't come to any conclusive evidence. Here is my situation. 1994 SVX with 187,000 kms on it. Car revs high between 1st and 2nd gears 3,500-4,000 before catching. Drives perfectly after that. From the knowledge base here,
A) is that typical of a tranny going or is it worth changing the Solenoid A and seeing if that fixes the problem.
B) If the tranny is going and I don't drive the car often (maybe 30-50 kms a week) how long can I get out of the tranny if I just keep driving it?
C) Should I just go ahead and put a 4.44 in it and be done with it?
Thanks Vic

Oh I should add that I kinda like driving it the way it is. Feels a little like a standard. I rev it to about 3,500 rpms, back off a little and it catches and then go on my merry way. something like a standard without the clutch. lol
all stock and likely staying that way for now
1981 Datsun 280zxturbo summer toy
Old 12-05-2010, 03:20 PM

Re: Getting to root of tranny problem

This is definitely an early sign of tranny failure. As far as how long it will last is up to the trans itself. It may last forever that way, but probably not.
My trans did this in the 3rd-4th shift so I adjusted the TPS which appeared to help. Then I removed and cleaned the valve body. I found gunk in the 1st-2nd solenoid. Then I cycled in synthetic trans fluid and registered it for the road. At the end of the day the car barely moved and a trans swap was in order.
The failure occurred quickly. I lost the 1-2 and within minutes the 3-4 followed. I was told that the low clutch failed so the car was in "limp mode" which is the high clutch used for 3rd, 4th and reverse. c

I'd say bite the bullet and prepare for the swap. From what I've heard it is well worth it. I went with a stick to save money. Check out these guys for performance mods to the trans that will give you that "snap" you're looking for. .http://www.ecutune.com/svx-stage1.htm
I hear yah on that, btw. I loved the shift kit in my cummins powered truck. Also I run my Yota with the tcu in power mode for quicker, harder shifts

Last edited by yota-toy; 12-05-2010 at 03:22 PM. Reason: info correction