How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-28-2010, 03:05 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
What is happening with SVXWN?

Ok guys, here is the thing. I am noticing day by day that our forum is getting slower in terms of expressing views and opinions. People are just not posting anymore, or rarely posting. Most of the activity is happening on the mod & buy/sell section.

For the mod, the only real activity I saw was Tony's cooling and Nevin's swaybar threads.

As for the buy/sell, there is some activity here and there in the parts/cars for sale, but rarely does anyone look at the wanted section.

I hate to start this thread and admit the real facts happening, but this is the truth. I love this network and I want to keep seeing people expressing opinions here and engaging into discussions and mods sharing. I joined since 2004, 6 years now, my longest personal relationship, I am happy here and I want to stay that way. HOW ABOUT YOU PEOPLE?

Is it an economy thing where people cannot afford maintaining these car, hence selling them? Is this how we are loosing members/posters?
Is it maybe because we got divided into two groups, hence lost momentum?
Are people moving on with new cars?
Are we loosing members because they are selling their SVXi to lastcentury'seraVWowners?
Is Earl buying all SVXi in the US, hence monopolizing that rare breed? (but he is compensating with postings)

Seriously now, no love anymore for these cars? I still remember few years back when people were posting like crazy, too much interaction happening. Those were the good ol' days.

From my side, I will NOT budge and no one can oblige me to. God forbids, if my SVX got burned to ashes, I will even go to the extent of illegally importing one, replacing its VIN with mine and drive it. This car is too good to be true that rare nowadays are the ones who can match its appeal, comfort and quality.

For me this "segment" of cars became extinct. The Dodge Stealth/3000GT, 300ZX, Supra & SVX... they no longer build them as they used to be. They are better than the 80's Japs and DEFINITELY better than the 2000's.

Do you guys really think that the 350z replaces the 300zx for example? What does come close now to the SVX?
1- >2003 Merc 320CLK? hugely expensive to maintain.
2- Nissan GT-R? LOL
3- Infinity G37? a 350z with some Makeup. Needs more maintenance than the SVX
4- Porsche....? Euhhhh
5- Impreza? Evo? RX-8? Naaa

So people stop selling that wonderful car, it is never expensive to maintain. Look at NASIOC/EVO forums and check out how much people are spending on just a BBK. $4000~$9000 JUST ON BRAKES! Just keep them going, keep lurking around and keep sharing your opinions..

Sorry for the long post, had to say this.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:18 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: What is happening with SVXWN?

I know I don't post as often as I used too...but it is more I don't seem to find the time to spend on the forums that I used to do...seems I always have too much to do with work, family, and maintaining my home, and vehicles....and the fact that I'm still on crutches, really slows me down on getting ANYTHING done.

But I'm not planning on going anywhere, as I plan to hold on to my SVX (and now also the one I'm fixing up for my youngest daughter).

The XT board seems to be going through the same thing as of late, but as they get older, there are fewer and fewer good examples left, more get scraped every year...
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 03-28-2010, 07:32 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

I personally dont want to spend too much money modding mine since it's practically done. The only thing I forsee on mine is an engine rebuild at some point and a new paint job. Both are relatively expensive. Either way it's more of a longterm project and I have moved on with a newer car that is ready to get in and go, but I still drive my SVX here and there to appreciate it more.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 03-28-2010, 08:40 AM

Just havent had much to say lately... my rear driver wheel bearing went out!
Old 03-28-2010, 08:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX

Is it an economy thing where people cannot afford maintaining these car, hence selling them? Is this how we are loosing members/posters?

It could be the economy. As these cars get older, we are having to replace more and more parts. The amount we spend starts building and some get frustrated and sell/part their cars.

Is it maybe because we got divided into two groups, hence lost momentum?

I doubt it. Many members are on both forums.

Are people moving on with new cars?

Yes some are. Probably due to my first answer. To be honest, the thought of finding a newer car has crossed my mind, but that isn't happening anytime soon.

Are we loosing members because they are selling their SVXi to lastcentury'seraVWowners?

I would hope not.

Is Earl buying all SVXi in the US, hence monopolizing that rare breed? (but he is compensating with postings)

YES!

I will agree with Huck as far as people having families and other things going on in their lives. Since I moved into a house last fall, I've been on this forum less. I am planning to keep my cars despite selling a few parts I have lying around. I have a few mods I plan to do to both of them, but that is until I have the extra money.
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Old 03-28-2010, 08:52 AM

Registered SVX

I'm still here trying to save SVXi whenever possible.

I've noticed it as well though. Specifically when I've had questions lately. Just not the normal amount of response/input that there has been in the past. Oh well, just means I have to search through the archives even more or just figure crap out on my own.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:17 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

I try to post at least every day, even if its just random babble. Its turning tinto the busy season now so when I get home im usually beat. Not planning on giving up the SVX anytime in the next decade though..... theres nothing else like it. Maintenance is pricey, but not nearly as much as a new car payment coupled with full coverage insurance.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

I have recently the number of PMs that I get from members (especially new ones), who ask questions that could easily have been posted on the network.

I usually give them the answer, or refer them to particular threads or posts. Maybe some feel that the question is stupid and don't want to ask it publicly.

Some have even posted their questions and have been met with a reply that says basicallt "the search button is your friend, use it". Sometimes searching is a problem if you don't know exactly how to enter keywords, especially for newer members. Evidenced by "I tried searching but came up with nothing")

With parts becoming scarce or obsolete, higher parts costs, and the number of qualified and knowledgeable mechanics for this car dwindling, a few are jumping ship while they can. For many it is their daily driver and they can't afford to have it become unreliable. So love and passion are replaced with peace of mind. They don't know enough about maintenance or have the mechanical skills to give them that.

The peace of mind that comes with "It's no big deal to get a new windshield if mine gets cracked" or " I'll just order this-or-that new part from the dealer" or "I had a slight accident, but I know my insurance company won't total my car bacause parts are too expensive"

I remember when there were 107 members online at the same time; I also remember the one time when I was the ONLY member online. This place will always be here to serve as an anchor for information and education for these cars.

I recall a line in the film "Pretty Woman" where, in the scene at the opera, Richard Gere says to Julia Roberts:

"People's reactions to opera the first time they see it is very dramatic.
They either love it or they hate it.
If they love it, they will always love it.
If they don't, they may learn to appreciate it,
but it will never become part of their soul."

Replace the word 'Opera' to 'the SVX' and read it again...

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 03-28-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:22 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

I post more when I have projects going on. Poor economy has haulted any chance of a summer project. I'm just glad things aren't so bad I would have to sell. Things will pick up when peoples holiday debts are under control.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 03-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Some have even posted their questions and have been met with a reply that says basicallt "the search button is your friend, use it". Sometimes searching is a problem if you don't know exactly how to enter keywords, especially for newer members. Evidenced by "I tried searching but came up with nothing")
I agree. Searching for many things is not easy even for a long time member like me. I tried searching for the Power MOD. The search engine changes that to "power, mod" so of course I get every thread that mentions power or mod. I try searching RX8 wheels and it tells me that data is to short. It will not look up RX8. So, I can understand why newbies ask the same questions that have been answered a hundred times.

I also understand some frustrations by older members that have answered the same question dozens of times and no longer feel the desire to answer them again.

Another thing is that many of the new young owners are really not dedicated to the car like older long time owners. To them it is something that was fairly cheap, has respectable power and looks great. When they find out it is not a light to light car and never will be and coupled with the expense of maintaining--they become disenchanted and sell the cars or most often end up parting them out.

Just a few of my thoughts---sorry.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 03-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

I rarely have anything of true importance to say lately. Every so often I'll add my imput to an interesting topic but if it's something technical I'd rather stay out of it and let the professionals take care of it.

To be honest, Im with you silverspear. I'm worried that we're a dying breed, dispite being so passionate about our cars. Mine is a DD and I really want to do so much more with her but I just don't have the cash. I've been looking for another job so I can get at LEAST more than $25k a year and then I could start doing what I want to do.

I see the parting out and selling of svx's and I'm concerned. I even asked OT about it earlier and he assures me it happens all the time but that just as many people are buying and joining us.

I love my car and I plan to keep her for many years to come..

I hope everyone else here does too.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1˝" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 03-28-2010, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77 View Post
I agree. Searching for many things is not easy even for a long time member like me. I tried searching for the Power MOD. The search engine changes that to "power, mod" so of course I get every thread that mentions power or mod. I try searching RX8 wheels and it tells me that data is to short. It will not look up RX8. So, I can understand why newbies ask the same questions that have been answered a hundred times.

From the messsge archive link:

Searching for "svx transmission" will return all messages with "svx transmission" in them. Searching for "svx AND transmission" will return all messages with svx and transmission in them. Don't use quotes in the actual search. You can also combine both types, ie "svx transmission AND failure" will return all the messages with svx transmission together, and the word failure somewhere in the message"

I usually go to Advanced Search and type in my words within quotes and show search as posts, not threads.

For example, entering "power mod" gives me THIS

Now back to the original topic...

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 03-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post

Searching for "svx transmission" will return all messages with "svx transmission" in them. Searching for "svx AND transmission" will return all messages with svx and transmission in them. Don't use quotes in the actual search. You can also combine both types, ie "svx transmission AND failure" will return all the messages with svx transmission together, and the word failure somewhere in the message"
I did not use the quotes in my search. I only put them in my post here to make it clear---I thought.

I typed in power mod and the search engine changed it to power,mod

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 03-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
I did not use the quotes in my search. I only put them in my post here to make it clear---I thought.

I went to advanced search at the bottom of the search box and typed on "power mod" (with quotes) to get the results above.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:

I went to advanced search at the bottom of the search box and typed on "power mod" (with quotes) to get the results above.

Searching power mod without quotes gave me 500 results. Searching "power mod" with quotes gave me 36.