Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2010, 03:08 AM
Mr Soob

Pistons (Rings, replacemetns and other avenues...)

1a) Can we get a ring kit for the SVX in case we bore the cylinders twenty thou or forty thou??

1b) If not: I've recently discovered that indeed the EJ22T pistons are the same bore and stroke, but the pistons do NOT fit the EG33. However, are the rings the same? Can we use a ring kit from the EJ22T on the SVX?

-

2a) Can we still get a set of pistons and rings for the SVX? I know they were available several years ago.

2b) If we were to use the EJ22T rings and drop the compression down to (8:1??), what level of forced induction would the engine be able to handle? 9psi? 10psi?

-
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
My Wanted List: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...178#post632178

Last edited by McTaff; 01-13-2010 at 03:22 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:02 AM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Send a message via AIM to Seraphinwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Seraphinwolf
Re: Pistons (Rings, replacemetns and other avenues...)

Well you posted the thread in the wrong subforum but since I love your avatar so much! (Red Dwarf RULES!)
1aI thought the pistons DID fit? What's your confirmation? I haven't kept up with internals cause I'm far from needing to do any myself.
1bRings should be piston specific so I see no reason they'd work on the EG33 pistons.
2aI'd shoot a PM to LongAssName about them.
2b I remember hearing stock block is good for 500bhp? Not sure though. I'd read throught he Turbo/SC builds as to what they have done. I wouldn't run too much and can see gettting a lot with a little psi.
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis

Last edited by Seraphinwolf; 01-13-2010 at 05:05 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:28 AM
Mr Soob

Thanks for the reply! I've PM'd LAN regarding this (and a few other members).

Earlier in this very old thread -http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48698 ...
...TomSVX posted that replacing with EJ22T (i.e. the 2.2 litre Impreza, NOT the 22b STi as that wasn't specified?) pistons would reduce the compression to 8.5:1 or so.

-

The basic situation is that we have an engine that we were going to do a basic 'blueprint' job on (i.e. cleaning up the intakes and all the rest of it), as the car is going to be off the road while we replace the gearbox anyway.

The thought is that if we can source parts fairly easily, we could always bore, balance and port the thing instead of just doing the easy stuff.

-

I realise my first post is a little misleading, the questions are all over the place so I will rephrase them a bit better:

1) The bore and stroke of the SVX matches that of both the EJ22T from the US Spec models AND the 22B STi. I would suspect (Like Seraphinwolf) that the rings would have been different for the different pistons but I was more or less asking as a "just in case" as I would suspect oversized rings would be far more readily available than a set of oversized SVX rings. Are they different, or are they the same?

2) Is a standard ring-only kit available for the SVX for 20 or 40 thou bore out?

3) Is the full piston and ring kit still available for the SVX for a 20 or 40 thou bore-out?

4) If we replaced the pistons with the EJ22T, what sort of psi would we need to run to bring the car back up to a healthy power range without going silly? Would the LAN supercharger kit be plenty, or would a twin-turbo job (custom and expensive) perform better?
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
My Wanted List: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...178#post632178
Old 01-13-2010, 05:52 AM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Send a message via AIM to Seraphinwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Seraphinwolf

Ah much clearer. Hopefully also a MOD will move it over to the right subforum too.
I personally would go for the turbos. Either one large twinscroll or two smaller compound or what not set up.
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis
Old 01-13-2010, 07:52 AM

ej22t pistons do fit, just changing rings doesnt mean you can now run boost, what matters is your pistons, id say go ahead and put the ej22t rings on your svx pistons but i could be wrong
Old 01-13-2010, 05:22 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

the SVX compression rings are both the same thickness of 1.5mm while all aftermarket subaru pistons of the same diameter have a top ring of 1.2 and lower of 1.5...

In short, if you want new rings on your pistons, you call the dealer.

if you want new pistons, you custom order them from a piston manufacturer... No swap over will work

Tom