Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-01-2009, 08:27 PM
just trying to fix it!

Registered SVX
Powersteering bubble over

so, i replaced one of the rubber hoses from the steering rack to the pipe that goes to the return side, and now when i filled it up it bubbles out and foams up all over the place!! once it settles down and i cycle the wheel lock to lock it seems to be fine, then once i turn the engine off the damn resevour pukes all the fluid back out the fill hole!! WTF? ths thing is drivin me nuts!

any ideas?
Old 11-09-2009, 06:46 AM

Re: Powersteering bubble over

Had the same issue when I first got my 96 SVX. Replace the O-ring under the power steering reservoir as it is leaking and sucking air. Empty tank, remove bolts on tank. O-ring is on nipple on bottom of tank. It is probably hard as a rock and/or cracked.
I went to Ace Hardware and matched it up. Cost $.19. Had same issue with AC compressor. Fixed two major problems for less than a buck.

Doc

Last edited by BDSDC; 11-09-2009 at 08:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Powersteering bubble over

Quote:
Originally Posted by superru View Post
so, i replaced one of the rubber hoses from the steering rack to the pipe that goes to the return side, and now when i filled it up it bubbles out and foams up all over the place!! once it settles down and i cycle the wheel lock to lock it seems to be fine, then once i turn the engine off the damn resevour pukes all the fluid back out the fill hole!! WTF? ths thing is drivin me nuts!

any ideas?
Its doing that because ATF (thats what youre filling it with right?) readily foams and mixes with air when agitated. The new line was full of air, so it was introduced into the heart of the system and agitated by the PS pump while the engine was running. What you can do is let the bubbles settle, and then fill it and lock to lock the steering with the engine OFF so the PS pump doesnt froth it up. Its easier to do this with the front wheels in the air.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.