How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2009, 10:16 PM
Registered Loser

Correct tool required for removing TCU pins (2.0)

Hey, OK so all my wiring is falling out of my TCU connectors, it's all fairly old and that combination with heat from soldering is not good.

I don't want to do take the easy dodgy way out for this because this is the second time I've tried reinserting wires/pins.

What's hapenning is, the wires are coming off the pin, which leaves the pin remaining inside the connector and I'd like to get the pins out, attach my wire again and reinsert. Can someone tell me the exact tool or tool set I need for this.

The first time a wire fell, it left the pin in there and I mutulated the TCU B68 connector but not to the point of destruction, to get that bloody pin out and it took about an hour for such a little thing. I drilled a little hole in the pin once out and put my wire through the hole soldereing and reshaped the pin and connected it back up, but since then.. OF COURSE! another wire broke and left the pin in there and this time I'd like to do it properly, so can someone PLEASE help me with this.

Thanks, Jordan.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Correct tool required for removing TCU pins (2.0)

Ive had luck using fine sewing needles in a case like this..... you can sometimes resolder the wire to the pin outside of the connector and then re-insert.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:44 AM
Registered Loser

Yeah. I've tried putting a bit of solder on my wire, tinning it. Then quickly putting it back onto the pin before solder cools, but that didn't help for me.

When you used a sewing needle, where abouts on the inside of the actual connector do you push?

I know you push it out in the direction of all the wires, ie NOT in the directin of the TCU.
There's 2 possible places to push onto get the pin out.
1) there's a little empty space above the pin in the connector (black dark area)
2) there's an empty space in the female/socket part inside the actual pin itself.

Which of the 2 do I push and put some pressure on to pop it out?

I have a whole bunch of websites open of tools but have no idea which is the.. that said, I may not need a tool. But still curious to see which is the correct extraction tool

Thanks for your help so far, Jordan.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:35 AM

Registered SVX

The connector has a small lug protruding from the outside, slanting to the rear. When the connector is inserted into a hole and past an edge, the lug springs out, locking it in place. Removal involves pressing down the lug so that it clears the retaining edge.

The trick is in locating the position of the lug. Look inwards from both sides and see if you can delve into the manufactures mind. Insert and slide in your tool from the opposite side to the wire to press on the lug, while pulling simultaneously on the wire. I am sure you will probably have worked this out.

I have had best success using a very small screw driver ground to a slow fine taper. The problem is the only space you have, is the tolerance between hole and connector. Once you have one out, all will be obvious. It is the first time which is difficult.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-15-2009, 12:43 AM
Registered Loser

OK!!! Thanks for your help trevor. Unfortunately I had no wire to pull on to get the pin out and no grinder But one thing I do have is pictures that I took. Can make a mini How-To

I took 2 very small screw drivers (one smaller than the other) that I was prepared to render useless. I ground them on the pavement (perpendicular) to get a nice blunt smooth finish. Once cooled down test them in the connector, it doesn't have to be perfect, just as long as the screwdriver goes in all the way.
Once your happy with it bend both your screw drivers at a 90'. The 2 screwdrivers will be very close to eachother, hence the 90' bend. The bulky screwdriver handles were getting the way of eachother.
The bigger of the 2 screwdrivers goes in the black empty hole while the smaller goes inside the female piece that would normally slide on to the male end of the inside of the TCU.
Don't twist whatever you do AND make sure your smaller screwdriver doesn't ruin the nice square female connection otherwise it won't make nice contact when you finish the job.
Apply pressure (don't force) with the slightly larger screwdriver in the empty space next to the pin (inside your connector), and direct the screwdriver a little bit in the direction of the pin. This applies pressure to a little lug/spring clip inside which will allow your pin be disconnect and pop out.
If by this stage you have wire facing you, you're looking at the wrong end of the connector. It's the other end!!!
While applying that pressure (bigger screwdriver), apply pressure with the smaller screwdriver and this should slide your pin out nicely, I was very surprised.
Make sure your 2 screwdrivers are blunt.