Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 09-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: SVX Engine cooling "Again & Again"

yes that will be part of the system. We will be running a small electric pump for the heater core alone

Tomq
Old 09-16-2009, 10:23 PM

That pretty smart were did you find it.
Also I have this crazy idea which is a bit complicated but involves puting a second radiator infront of the first. You send the hot water from the top of the engine into the radiator closest to the engine out the bottom and into the front one then back to the inlet of the water pump. Its means you can reduce the temp of the coolent down lower with on the return then you can the same amount of water. Works on the princpal that coolest air hits cooler coolent and hotter air hits hottest coolent.
Its know in industry as counter current cooling. In our factory we send water into a sweet corn cooler at 5 c and product at 100c at the other end we get out water at 100c and corn at about 10c. This is done with equal volumes of both.
If we don't run AC condensor the other radiator can go there.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Maniac modifier

I am going to have to say no to the twin radiator idea. Its not realistic to add it to the system. It is not the problem at hand. Lets address the current issues we know, then worry about if the radiator is sufficient which technically speaking should be good for twice the power levels anyone using them is reaching

Tom
Old 09-16-2009, 10:41 PM

The difficulity is the current radiator is okay at "What coolent flow rate". My suggestion only applies if we can't get the flow rate up that's going through the engine. X water will carry Y BTU of heat minius the inlet temp.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:46 PM
Maniac modifier

I have to ask, there is not that great of a difference in the cooling of this engine with many others of similar hp/liter designs. Why would we need excessive cooling while others do not. We just need proper cooling. Address the internal flaws and I can almost guarantee that it will operate very well

Tom
Old 09-16-2009, 10:53 PM

You may be right Tom I have not compared the amount of flow to other engines. Just the other 6clyinder Subaru which has a heap more coolent flow per min. What engine have you looked at the flow of.
Tony

Last edited by Dessertrunner; 09-16-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:57 PM
Maniac modifier

haven't payed much mind to the flow. I will be chosing a 55gpm pump for Dan's engine. With the supporting X-over modification I see no reason it should not be able to use most of the pump's capacity. lets see what we get before we make any more decisions

Tom
Old 09-16-2009, 11:04 PM

Is the new water pump with the existing pump in or out?
Old 09-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Maniac modifier

the pump housing will be there to direct flow into the block but it will have no impeller and a single idler will take the place of the drive pulley

Tom
Old 09-17-2009, 02:47 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

YT, it might be a dumb question from my part, you mentioned about tapping the heads to eliminate the boiling water issue in the block. Why not tapping the water passage directly in the block instead where that boiling water is?

The only answer I could find is water flow? Not to disrupt the water flow?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:12 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Two comments:

1. I have been runing Water Wetter for years and it may help, but doesn't cure the problem. I have also been running 80% water, 20% anti-freeze to increase the specific heat of the coolant, and that hasn't cured the problem.

2. Jack Laverty has been running an electric fuel pump for some time and still has overheating problems, so this likely rules out impellor cavitation at high rpm's as the only cause of internal boiling.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 09-17-2009, 04:38 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
YT, it might be a dumb question from my part, you mentioned about tapping the heads to eliminate the boiling water issue in the block. Why not tapping the water passage directly in the block instead where that boiling water is?

The only answer I could find is water flow? Not to disrupt the water flow?
Because if I pump it directly into the block, it will not make much of a difference because that is where the coolant is being sent in the first place. Sending it to the head allows coolant that has been cooled by the rad to be sent into the hot stream to help it be more efficient in its job of thermal absorbtion before it hits the hot spot.

Like I said though, I doubt it will this considering how small the X-over manifold really is inside. I truly believe it is simply too small to move enough water to be efficient for the LH side of the motor

Tom
Old 09-17-2009, 05:16 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Because if I pump it directly into the block, it will not make much of a difference because that is where the coolant is being sent in the first place. Sending it to the head allows coolant that has been cooled by the rad to be sent into the hot stream to help it be more efficient in its job of thermal absorbtion before it hits the hot spot.

Like I said though, I doubt it will this considering how small the X-over manifold really is inside. I truly believe it is simply too small to move enough water to be efficient for the LH side of the motor

Tom
Hope this X-over method works as you expect Tom, but just in case it doesn't... will it make sense to tap the left block (not head), connect it to an electric pump which works automatically at a certain temperature then to a small outside rad (bike rad?) then again to the right block?

This way you will be transferring the boiling water to the rad for cooling then inject it again to the right side.. am I making sense?

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:40 AM

Dan I agree with Tom the first approach needs to be the simplest first. We need to exhaust all possiabilies before we go for things like taping in the back of the head or a second radiator such as I suggested. The big drama about tapping into flows a different positons is it might just move the problem to another spot.
I think we all agree that the problem is coming from the left back from lack of water.
Tony
Old 09-17-2009, 06:03 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Definitely Tony, I am with you guys concerning the idea of X-over mod. But this is plan A.

I was suggesting we should also set plans B & C just in case the overheating issue is not fully eliminated with plan A.