Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-18-2009, 08:49 PM

My progress so far

Well I picked up an SVX with a JDM STI Type RA 6speed in it. The car is just a blast but it really needed a lot of TLC. So far this is where I have gotten.

This is when I got it a month ago;

Two weeks into owning it;

And now (month into it);

I did all of the body work, its my first full body job by my self so its not as straight as i wanted it to be (still some dents I couldnt get out) but I am REALLY happy with how it turned out. The color is Copper red from a 2008 Mazda MX-5.

The car has the Smallcar clear headlights and corner lights... 1997 SVX grill, JDM warehouse lip, BBS RSGT replica wheels. The wheels will be going black with a red lip.

As for the engine..

Right now the car has a gutted secondary cat and gutted muffler (its still quiet but sounds good under throttle). It has a ECUtune stage1 installed and I have the Nissan 370cc injectors and Z32 maf sensor to go to stage 2, im just waiting for my new chip to get here.

From there I have this that will be going on at the same time:

Garrett 60-1 Turbocharger
Tial 50mm blow off valve
turbo Smart 38mm wastegate
stealth FMIC

And I will be building a 3" exhaust for the the car from the turbo till axel back where it will split into two 2.5" pipes with mufflers...

I should be installing the turbo next weekend.

For the interior I have kept it mostly stock. I have started to turn the grey to black. The carpet is all black now and I am waiting for my leather black dye to come in from NU Leather (they have awesome reviews and it is suppose to last the life of the leather as long as its conditioned). I have installed an STI aluminum shifter trim and shift boot as well as an OEM STI shift knob. The fake wood grain will be going satin black.

Let me know what you guys think!

1992 RHD WRX: EJ20G, 16G, Cusco Coilovers, Wilwood 4pot/2pot brakes, Defi Genome 60mm gauges, Exotic speed downpipe, 3.5" A'PEXi spec GT catback
Old 07-18-2009, 08:49 PM

Re: My progress so far

1992 RHD WRX: EJ20G, 16G, Cusco Coilovers, Wilwood 4pot/2pot brakes, Defi Genome 60mm gauges, Exotic speed downpipe, 3.5" A'PEXi spec GT catback
Old 07-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Looks a million times better. You do great work!
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 07-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Wow, you work quick.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 07-18-2009, 09:23 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

Looks great, especially for the first time. It looks really good! Did you paint over the tips exhaust tips though? It could just be the shadow.

Good luck with the turbo project and keep us posted
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 07-18-2009, 11:04 PM

haha i did paint the exhaust tips (accident) I was already spraying when I noticed that they werent covered so i said screw it. Im putting different tips on it anyway so its not an issue.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:18 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Nice paintjob Paynter. But the doors/rear fenders seem misaligned

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:23 PM

they are a little bit. Im not sure if it is because the bracket behind the rear skirt is destoryed or if its because my door needs adjusting. Thats my goal for tomorrow!

Old 07-19-2009, 04:54 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Nice paintjob Paynter. But the doors/rear fenders seem misaligned
Wow, you're good danny. I can't tell even after you mentioned it.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 07-19-2009, 04:54 AM

Registered SVX

Good job, It looks great
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 07-19-2009, 05:25 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Thanks Tim. There is still more but I don't want to mention it...

Paynter did a good job trying to hide it though

Paynter

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I noticed before he said anything, fit and finish are the first things I notice on a car, the way the doors fit on his car would be totally unacceptable at the shop I work at. I wanted to say something as soon as I saw the pictures, but didn't want to sound mean, so I didn't say anything at all.

I probably have 4 hours in adjusting my passenger's door alone, but the car was hit from that side and had been repaired by someone totally incompetent and had NO gap between the quarter and the door when I got the car. I only have about an hour in the driver's door, since it wasn't bad, maybe 1/16" off at the striker. Now they open and close like a brand new car, which is important since I have no door handles.

I would have taken some time and made those fiberglass splitters on the front bumper fit better too, I understand that is how they come out of the box, but a little time with a grinder and some Tiger Hair and they would fit like they would if Subaru made them. Of course, you shouldn't mold them to the bumper, that is just asking for cracks, but minimizing the inconsistencies in the gap between them and the bumper would have made a big difference.

Considering it is your first big job, you did pretty good. I don't want to pick it apart too much, since you are happy with it, which is all that matters. There are a bunch of little things that would bug the hell out of me if that were my car though.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:39 AM

know the splitters fit like crap as well, but I only had the work space for a short amount of time. The fit and finish
is my next concern like I said. I already have the tiger hair I just don't have time right now as im coming to the end of my summmer semester. I will be back in my dads shop back east in august for 2 weeks and will fix the splittrrs an other little things then. Btw, this picure is literally 10 mins after initial re assembly

Old 07-19-2009, 01:40 PM

Cool Re: My progress so far

So did you replace ALL the glass - or was the tint (green) an add-on by previous owner...
Old 07-19-2009, 04:15 PM

ahhh i think its just reflections in the glass? its not tinted at all, i hate tint, especially on SVXs... or do u mean like a factory tint... in which case, I have never noticed it.

its all oem glass though as the car was brought in through montreal (they etch a serial number into every piece of a car so people dont steal parts)