IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2009, 06:11 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Christmas Dash Lights, but no Electrical Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Off the cuff I could not tell you... It has been a while since I have dealt with it.

Tom
Thanks Tom,

This is a problem as no one has reported exactly which dash lights have been involved, as they were not inclined to make a note at the time, which is understandable.

Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-07-2009, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
When the lights are lit dimly and tend to flicker it is indicative of a bad alternator, meaning a poorly charging alternator.
My teal did this, just as I was switching off the ignition. Had it not been inside my relatively dark garage I might not have even noticed. I immediately replaced the alternator, put a charge on the battery, and all's well. Didn't occur to me to note which lights illuminated, but you can bet that I'll be heading to the parts house for an alternator if it happens again.

dcb
Old 04-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
My teal did this, just as I was switching off the ignition. Had it not been inside my relatively dark garage I might not have even noticed. I immediately replaced the alternator, put a charge on the battery, and all's well. Didn't occur to me to note which lights illuminated, but you can bet that I'll be heading to the parts house for an alternator if it happens again.

Maniac Electric Motors
, who have the high-output alternators, also have the stock rebuilt Mitsubishi 95A units in stock and ready to ship.

Price with core exchange: $78.00 plus shipping.
Without core, the price is $138.00 plus shipping

http://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/13406.html

The same specs and double the warranty (2 years) for a lot less. The Subaru remanufactured ones have only a one year warranty and go for around $250.00 after core exchange.

On both alternators AND starters, the core return charges are pre-paid by the company. They will send you a shipping label to return the core to them.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 04-07-2009, 09:55 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:

dcb

Thanks dcb for another useful report on the subject.

Could you possibly estimate as to whether there were six or seven lights, or say only four lights involved.

Do you think the lights came on dim and flickering immediately before and when the engine was at idle speed, or immediately after the ignition actually switched off, but the engine continued to turn over a few times as a result inertia? I gather you did not notice the lights illuminating when travelling.

Was it a once only event, which has not again occurred?

Tom,

Could you also please take a stab at making an estimate regarding the number of lights involved.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-07-2009, 10:47 AM

svxcess, at those prices I might just order one to keep as a spare. Think I paid one-sixty-something plus core for a Brand-X reman.

Trevor, in my mind's eye it seems not all of the warning lights illuminated. This happened just an instant before switching-off the ignition; in fact, I restarted the car and let it idle for a bit to confirm what I thought I'd seen. And sure enough, several warning lights were faintly visible. I recall it was a steady burn, not flickering. Sorry I can't be more specific.

I checked the tension of the alternator belt, then went inside to phone around for an alternator. (I was grateful that the old girl waited 'til we got home to act up.)

No lights nor other hint of trouble since replacing the alternator.

dcb
Old 04-07-2009, 10:51 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:

Trevor, in my mind's eye it seems not all of the warning lights illuminated. This happened just an instant before switching-off the ignition; in fact, I restarted the car and let it idle for a bit to confirm what I thought I'd seen. And sure enough, several warning lights were faintly visible. I recall it was a steady burn, not flickering. Sorry I can't be more specific.

I checked the tension of the alternator belt, then went inside to phone around for an alternator. (I was grateful that the old girl waited 'til we got home to act up.)

No lights nor other hint of trouble since replacing the alternator.

dcb
Thanks dcb, it all helps the detective work.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
This thread has convinced me to replace my alternator, probably with OEM as opposed to "high output".

Very technically informative.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:30 PM

This is an easy one! Someone that has had an alternator do the christmas tree thing and replaced it... Just take the new one off and reinstall the old one and count the lights!

Keith
Old 06-15-2009, 08:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to fjm57
Registered SVX

I just had this happen on 6-13-09
Based on the info presented in the first pages of this thread I did the alternator swap. The swap fixed it.

Had I read it all, at the time, I would have taken a picture of the lights.

As far as what lights were on I'd say there were seven. IIRC, They are the same lights that come on if you turn the key to the "ON" position without starting the car minus the air bag light and the E-Brake disengaged .

Nice info and detail BTW
Jim

“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.”
-Bertrand Russell -

Last edited by fjm57; 06-15-2009 at 08:57 AM. Reason: SP
Old 06-17-2009, 03:31 AM

Registered SVX

Thanks Jim, very helpful.

I am looking into all of this as I have time.

Sincerely, Trevor.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:20 AM

The dash lights coming on happened in my '97. When I turned the car on they stayed on for a while, then faded, however, when I stepped on the brake they came back on. The lights that I remember coming on were: battery, ABS and about 4 more in the middle (sorry, without a picture of the dash lights I can't remember them all). My mechanic has the car now, and I'm sure I'll be replacing the alternator. I thought I'd add my symptoms since they were different from everyone elses. My mechanic did say the voltage was low.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:49 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks, an interesting addition regarding the brake involvement.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:15 AM
Network Design Administrator

I would venture to say that the brake plays a part due to the fact that in order to press the brake one must remove their foot from the gas, reducing the revolutions of the engine and in turn reducing he output of the alternator.

Thats my theory, anyway.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:01 PM

Well whatever the reason the lights came on when I hit the brake, the alternator has been replaced and the car is back to normal. I posted pics of it in the For Sale.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:06 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by djewkes View Post
The dash lights coming on happened in my '97. When I turned the car on they stayed on for a while, then faded, however, when I stepped on the brake they came back on..
Special thanks for your continued information.

Regarding the above, please advise if engine revs dropping, when you operated the brake pedal may have been a cause. Or did you brake with the engine at idle speed? Refer post by Chris.