Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-28-2009, 01:28 PM

Climate Control Problem - Help Please!

Hi, I'm new to the SVX but have always loved them.

I'm thinking of buying a UK car which looks pretty good apart from a problem with the climate control.

I was told the aircon needed a re-gas which is fine but when I went to view the car, every time I changed the temperature setting on the digital display, it kept moving back to 32 Deg C - anyone any ideas? Is this because the system is confused as it needs a re-gas or something more serious like an ecu?

Otherwise that car was great; 100k miles with a recent rebuilt gearbox. Is there anything else I should be checking out?

Any advice would be appreciated - SVX's are rare in the UK with only about 250 sold so I'm worried in case it all goes bang and lands me with a huge repair bill!

Cheers,

Chris
Old 02-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Climate Control Problem - Help Please!

It has to do with the climate control unit itself I believe, can't remember right now. But pretty common that this happens. Definitely not because of being out of a/c refridgerant. Try doing a search or wait for others with more precise answers.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:23 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to paddlesnz

This is a common problem on JDM models and other models that have the full climate control digital display.

The temperature display automatically goes up to 32C or down to 18C and the outside temperature display doesn't work. Often it will work as it should but the problem gradually gets worse.

According to the Japanese Owners Club, some have had success with replacing the micro-switches in the temperature button, others have replaced the complete front climate control panel.

I replaced the control panel on mine, cost back in 2001 was Y80,000 but hate to think what it would be now. At the time, Subaru Japan told me they were aware of the problem and that the unit maker (Zexel) had modified the new replacement panels.

Hope this helps.

1993 Subaru Alcyone SVX
1980 Isuzu 117 Coupe Giugiaro Edition
1999 Mazda Astina
2006 Honda Legend
2006 Toyota Mark X Premium
2007 Toyota bB
2007 Mazda Roadster RS
2012 Peugeot 208 Allure
Old 03-01-2009, 07:16 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_D View Post
Hi, I'm new to the SVX but have always loved them.

I'm thinking of buying a UK car which looks pretty good apart from a problem with the climate control.
Hello Chris

You are very welcome to the Network and I do hope you get an SVX. They are lovely cars to own and drive, and they don't give a lot of problems if you get a good one.

Quote:
I was told the aircon needed a re-gas which is fine but when I went to view the car, every time I changed the temperature setting on the digital display, it kept moving back to 32 Deg C - anyone any ideas? Is this because the system is confused as it needs a re-gas or something more serious like an ecu?
Two or three things you need to watch here.
  • Depending on age it is often the case a car needs to be re-gassed. However before you get it done do ensure the people doing it for you put in the coloured stuff first to pressure test your system for leaks, and fix said leaks before re-gassing. No point putting in expensive gas and having it leak away again.
  • SVXs use two different gases, depending on age. You did not say which year your intended purchase may be. Early cars [92-94/5] all use R-12 which is now illegal, and you may have difficulty topping it up if your car is this age. You need to check which type you are buying. Newer cars [96-97, but maybe 95] use R-134a I think. If yours is this type it's easy to get topped up.
  • The re-gas will not fix the problem with the AC computer which causes the problem you describe. The JDM [Japanese import] cars use the same computer, so it is possible you may find a replacement from a scrapped car. Do NOT pay big money for the spare unit if you find one, because the problem with the logic control panel is age related, and you will have no idea how long the replacement control unit will continue to work properly.
Quote:
Otherwise that car was great; 100k miles with a recent rebuilt gearbox. Is there anything else I should be checking out?
Check out this Word document at the bottom of this page in the How-To section above:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?How-To|14346

Quote:
Any advice would be appreciated - SVX's are rare in the UK with only about 250 sold so I'm worried in case it all goes bang and lands me with a huge repair bill!

Cheers,

Chris
There are usually plenty of spares to be had. The SVX is no more difficult to own than any other rare car. It's good to have a mechanic somewhere near you who understands troubleshooting problems, but you can get plenty of help from the guys on here with most things.

Cheers

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl