Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-04-2009, 09:10 PM

Security module Question

I have looked on the site, but haven’t found an answer. Does anyone know if security modules are interchangeable between years? I need to replace the module in my 92 and the local junk yards have a few years to pick from, although I am not sure if the security modules are still there. If they are interchangeable then I will just grab the best looking one.

Would it be better to get a later model’s module for some reason?

Thanks

Hal
Old 02-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Security module Question

What happened to the one you have now?

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:09 PM

never worked. I get a solid red light instead of blinking when pushing the security button.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Yes, they're all interchangeable. On cars with the front passenger airbag, the module is located in the trunk. Not all models included them from the factory, but all US cars have the connector.

Later is better. And don't pay much, especially if you can't test it first or can't return it if bad. They have a great tendancy to die.

There was also a TSB issued for the security system. It said that a revised module was to be released in Spring 1993, so modules from 1994 and later cars should have the newer version. It also said that the dash switch contacts had a tendancy to oxidize, so if your system isn't completely dead you might try cleaning that switch.

Someday I'd like to perform an autopsy on a dead one to see if it's something fixable that's croaking.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:14 PM

thanks for the info. I have already pulled the module out, it was behind the glove box. Here are some pictures of the module. i took it apart to see if anything looked wrong, let me know what you think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01033.JPG (129.2 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01044.JPG (109.7 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01049.JPG (123.7 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01052.JPG (97.2 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01054.JPG (112.7 KB, 252 views)
Old 02-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

I have a security system out of a newer Subaru, with the alarm siren. I also have the installation guide, it just needs a remote and the customer didn't want to buy the remote, so we removed the security system. I've been tempted to figure out a way to adapt it to work in the SVX, maybe even somehow make it plug in to the factory harness, if I could do that, then we'd have an option for security modules, since they are still available from Subaru, and the remotes are only like 25 bucks.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 02-05-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc View Post
Yes, they're all interchangeable. On cars with the front passenger airbag, the module is located in the trunk. Not all models included them from the factory, but all US cars have the connector.

Later is better. And don't pay much, especially if you can't test it first or can't return it if bad. They have a great tendancy to die.

There was also a TSB issued for the security system. It said that a revised module was to be released in Spring 1993, so modules from 1994 and later cars should have the newer version. It also said that the dash switch contacts had a tendancy to oxidize, so if your system isn't completely dead you might try cleaning that switch.

Someday I'd like to perform an autopsy on a dead one to see if it's something fixable that's croaking.
I'm calling about the TSB right now. Shouldn't they still honor it if the car never had its module replaced? Or does that just go away when the car is off warranty?
Old 02-05-2009, 08:56 PM

Hondasucks that sounds like an awesome idea, but i sure would hate to have to give up the stock SVX key FOB, I love the look of it.

I went to the junk yard today and got another security module. It cost me $35 bucks. Plugged it in, programed the remote and it works perfectly. now i just have to figure out how to get that glove box back together

Let me know what happens on that TSB oregondave. It sounds like a long shot, but you never know

I have a hypothesis, probably wrong, but nonetheless i have a one as to what the solid red security light means. I think it goes that way when the alarm system stops functioning, but the module will still accept signals from the FOB for locking and unlocking the doors. Although, you will be unable to program a transmitter should you have to. Thus, its just a matter of time once you have the solid light before you cant use your keyless entry.

My dads SVX's security light is solid but he still has use of his transmitter, but he has never had to program it. His car, however will never arm the alarm system. My SVX light was solid but I didn't get any transmitters with the car, and was not able to enter program mode on the module, therefor not able to program any transmitter to work. anyway these are the circumstances that lead me to my hypothesis. now its time to test.....
Old 02-05-2009, 09:41 PM

I called a local dealer and they told me no dice. I'll try soa tomorrow although I'm sure it'll be fruitless. Damn you're resourceful dude I don't even want to attempt getting in there. Does it look that tough sowing it back up?!
Old 02-05-2009, 09:44 PM

Oh and I think you're totally right. My light is solid red too and my fob was dead when I bought it, can't get my new fob to program as I can't get the f'ing thing to go programming mode.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:29 PM

A solid red light from my experience means that you need to replace the security module.

When I first got my 92 it had a solid light when you pushed in the security button on the dash. I got a used security module from someone in this forum, replaced it and then it worked fine. (The dash security light would then flash after re-connecting the battery or turing it on).

If you disconnect and then reconnect the battery you should automatically get a flashing light on the secuirty button.

If you do not I would think that the security module is bad.

Ken
Old 02-06-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregondave View Post
Does it look that tough sowing it back up?!
it wont be to tough, just annoying. I am already about half way done with it, but i ran out of daylight. I should have it all finished up tomorrow...hopefully

I normally would not have attempted this so soon,it was pretty low on the priority list. Keyless entry wasnt really important and the alarm didnt seem necessary. But recently my car was stolen; It was returned, and the alarm/key less entry fix moved up on the priority list. Now, i have to say it was way worth it. I love it!! $65 for the transmitter (had to go with stock) and $35 for the module.

Last edited by oblique_03; 02-06-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:01 PM

I have been reading about solid lights on security switches, but what if there is no light and no way to get it to light up??? Any ideas, thanks.......G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabastian"4.44 silver
92svx"sabrina".ebony
05legacy gt limited "Moon" blue.
06 Subaru legacy gt limited.