SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Guess it's time..

So I guess it's time for me to quit ignoring the little things that bother me about my car and post them here so I can find out what may be wrong and how much it'll cost me. I've come to realize that sometimes in life if you ignore porblems they just go away. Unfortunately dealing with an SVX does not apply to the same rules.

1) My engine has a constant clunking noise.
2) It'll take a moment to shift from park to reverse or drive to reverse. It's not terribly noticable but still there. Hesitating for a moment.
3) I'll be driving at any speed and I feel a hesitation, then a thump like it's trying hard to change gears and when it's on the lift, it'll shake when it shifts. (Maybe solenoid C?)
4) Smoke coming from the exagust.
5) Wants to pull to the left.
6) When I hit bumps, I hit bumps HARD. Like there is no cushioning between me and the road. Potholes are NIGHTMARES!!

That's all I can think of now, I'm sure there will be more later.. Thanks in advance!
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..

Last edited by Freeman; 11-18-2008 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Me no not speel goods much
Old 11-18-2008, 12:36 PM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX
Re: Guess it's time..

Hi there: In regard to your car's hesitation to go into reverse. i was experiencing the same problem- ever so slight hesitation to go into reverse. Changed the transmission fluid and, (here is the important thing) the transmisison filter. Problem seems to have gone away. Cheap fix. It involves ordering the kit (about $35.00) removing the pan, removing the filter easy inastallation....
My cost was around $150.00 for the garage to do it.
good luck
all stock and likely staying that way for now
1981 Datsun 280zxturbo summer toy
Old 11-18-2008, 06:27 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I believe that it is normal for the transmission to take a moment to shift into reverse and if I remember correctly it is due to this transmission having a very low line pressure.

When you describe hitting bumps hard it may be that the ball joints are wearing out or the struts or strut mounts are bad. Just some places to look.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:18 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Alright, so far that's two things down. I'm making a list of what everyone believes the solutions are. So far it's been pretty helpful. I know my transmission hasn't really been played with since I got the car so it may be a good idea to put a new filter in. Especially seeing how it's a 92 and 92's are prone to transmission failure aparently.. Also, I knew something was wrong with the ball joints. I'm getting those replaced as soon as I get enough money. I'll check on the struts and strut mounts. Thanks for the help so far.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..