How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-25-2002, 10:43 PM
gcookaustin

Engine shakes at idle

I've already done a search for idle shaking but didn't find a scenario like mine. Anyway, the car shakes quite a bit sometimes if it's in neutral with the A/C on. If the A/C is not on, then the RPMs are a hundred or so less like they're supposed to be and it still shakes a little but not nearly so much. Put it in drive and the car vibrates but doesn't really shake. Cleaned throttle body earlier which fixed my stall after ignition problem. Any suggestions?
Old 06-25-2002, 11:26 PM
EverclearAtMSU

you could be idleing too low...usually you want to be right at 750 rpm...Maybe changing the idle would help you
Old 06-26-2002, 05:16 AM
gcookaustin

With the A/C on it is about 700-750; without it's at 600. I can't seem to use the gas pedal to get the rpms constant at 1000, but if I rev it up to say past 1200 then it's fine.
Old 06-26-2002, 06:17 AM
EverclearAtMSU

do you hear a slight ticking noise in your engine bay?
Old 07-03-2002, 06:27 PM
gcookaustin

I guess so; the engine is pretty quiet.. I had to move our Dodge Caravan out of the garage so I could replace a speaker in the SVX and the Caravan does the same thing, only worse. Maybe just needs new spark plugs or something? It does it while it neutral, and is more noticable before it gets warmed up (like on the Caravan), and you can't really notice it when in gear.
Old 07-09-2002, 12:23 AM

slight ticking noise?

Ever clear what does it mean when one hears this real slight ticking noise.... ?????
My ears says it's a pully or something, but then there are so many it's hard to tell...
I used to hear a slight ticking nose coming from front of the engine... MY first thoughts was a pully of some kind or maybe the harmonic balancer. I odn't have any problem with a shaky engine.. THe idle is odd sometimes while at a stop light.

I"ve got some things to do before the trip in a few days...
thanks if you reply
SVX1999
Old 07-09-2002, 05:34 AM
Way over-the-hill Member

caravan does it too

If both of your vehicles are shaking at idle I'd suspect a load of bad gas. Do you get your gas for both cars at the same station?
Old 07-09-2002, 11:17 AM
gcookaustin

Nah, I get gas at random gas stations. The Caravan probably just shakes because...it's a Dodge (ouch). I hear a light ticking noise at each side of the engine, audible from a foot and a half away from the spark plugs..