How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2008, 10:17 AM

Reverse Lurch?

I just go my car back from the body shop, were it sat for 3mo, so I'm just starting to get back into some the issues it has...

However, what I don't remember it doing is making a clunk sound coming from the rear when I put it in reverse - occasionally. Also, just yesterday when I shut the car off, while standing outside and leaning in to do it, the car suddenly jerked rearward. The car didn't roll it actually lurched rearward. I had the shifter in park and I was parked on flat pavement if not slightly downhill. I know this can't be normal so what could cause this?

The car currently has a binding issue so I intend to replace solenoid c sometime soon, the fwd fuse isn't in. Also, it seems to roll back a lot further than other cars I've driven with parking up hill. The only thing I've done to it lately was put in some sport springs and the 15min $15 mod. I also just installed an external tranny filter.

So...anyone experience something similar to a reverse jerk when turning the car off?
Old 09-23-2008, 10:51 AM

Re: Reverse Lurch?

I did on a legacy with the 4EAT and bad binding.

Perhaps a symptom of your binding too?

I autocross, therefore I am.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:00 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxo View Post
I just go my car back from the body shop, were it sat for 3mo, so I'm just starting to get back into some the issues it has...

However, what I don't remember it doing is making a clunk sound coming from the rear when I put it in reverse - occasionally. Also, just yesterday when I shut the car off, while standing outside and leaning in to do it, the car suddenly jerked rearward. The car didn't roll it actually lurched rearward. I had the shifter in park and I was parked on flat pavement if not slightly downhill. I know this can't be normal so what could cause this?

The car currently has a binding issue so I intend to replace solenoid c sometime soon, the fwd fuse isn't in. Also, it seems to roll back a lot further than other cars I've driven with parking up hill. The only thing I've done to it lately was put in some sport springs and the 15min $15 mod. I also just installed an external tranny filter.

So...anyone experience something similar to a reverse jerk when turning the car off?
That is strange. Sounds like the forward clutch is binding to wind up the drive line, when you select reverse it unwinds it the other way to cause the jerk.
No idea why, sorry.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:19 AM

I guess it's transfer clutch related. I put the FWD fuse in and of course the binding is gone but no lurching either. Looks like this is how I'll be driving until I'm able to get it into the shop.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:34 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Yes it is the binding issue... Mine did it too. Basically, after you drive it, there is a lot of loaded up spring tension in the rear drivetrain... Once the clutches bleed down they will release that tension... hence the lurching.

Tom