Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-18-2008, 03:53 PM

I might get a hernia doing this

I'm finally doing my 4.44 ratio transmission/rear end replacement and the car is up on 4 jack stands. I need to increase the height of the front ones to be able to get the transmission out. Can I lift the front end using the front sub-frame cross member? If not directly on the crossmeber I can bridge out to the mounting points in the unibody. It would just be more work.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Keith

Last edited by TexasSwift; 08-18-2008 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Not getting any responses
Old 08-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: I might get a hernia doing this

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSwift View Post
I'm finally doing my 4.44 ratio transmission/rear end replacement and the car is up on 4 jack stands. I need to increase the height of the front ones to be able to get the transmission out. Can I lift the front end using the front sub-frame cross member? If not directly on the crossmeber I can bridge out to the mounting points in the unibody. It would just be more work.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Keith
Hey Keith,

I noticed you are just north of Houston. Several of us are located nearby in San Antonio (5+) and Austin (3+). Might be able to convince a few to come over and help you. Dustin (odepaj, here in SA with me) has an engine lift and some other handy tools. Shaun (Your_confused, in Austin) is really knowledgeable about the tricks of installing a transmission as he has did his own too. Both guys are pretty savy around the SVX.

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram
Old 08-21-2008, 05:17 PM

Re: Chassis lifting points

Marrisa,
Thanks for the reply.
I was hoping to get together with other Texas SVXers once I was on the road. I had talked to Shaun when I first bought the car and got his advice. I have had the car since March and am just now getting it on the road.
I had used Craigslist to find a '97 Outback with a bad motor for $800 and I thought great now I have my transmission and rear end and lots of parts to sell. Turns out its an Outback Limited with full leather, power everything, new stereo with a very clean body. So instead of parts for me, another project.
After locating a '97 Outback in a local wrecking yard, I got an engine for my wife's new Outback for $875 and a transmission and rear end for me for $500.
Now her's is installed and running and I am in the final stages of my installation. I just didn't want to lift the wrong part of the chassis. I've got the tools I need and some extra manpower to call on if I need to, but thanks for the suggestion. If it all goes in the crapper, I will let you know.
Keith