How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-16-2002, 12:12 AM
92_SVX_LSL

Starts Then Dies

SOMETIMES WHEN I START MY CAR WEATHER IS' WARM OR COLD IT DIES SOMTIMES. I THINK THAT IT STARTS THEN IT DIES AND THEN I HAVE TO CRANK IT OVER A COUPLE TIMES THEN IT STARTS, AND WHOLE ENGINE SHAKES(KIND OF EMBARASSING). BUT IT ONLY DOES IT SOMETIMES, BUT SEEMS TO DO IT MORE AND MORE OFTEN. WHAT COULD THE PROBLEM BE?? THANKS
Old 06-16-2002, 12:36 PM
gcookaustin

I had a similar problem in which if you ran the car for a while (warm it up) and then shut it off for a minute or two and start it up again, it would most likely stall after a second or two. I cleaned the throttle body and it hasn't done that since. I don't remember the engine shaking though.
Old 06-16-2002, 10:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Often if I give it just a little bit of gas before it stalls, it runs fine. I just bought some carb cleaner today, but didn't have time to use it. I'm going to try it sometime this week and see if it helps.

KuoH
Old 06-16-2002, 11:02 PM
gcookaustin

If that doesn't work; I'd recommend taking off the hoses and spraying some cleaner down the throttle. I remember I was able to give it gas too and that it would start up just fine. When it happened to me I was in like the 2nd day of ownership and it scared the crap out of me!
Old 06-17-2002, 01:34 PM
Lowered SVX

i would have them clean the throttle body...

and the fuel injection system. also just have them check you throttle position sensor and mass airflow sensor just to make sure they are functioning properly.

sounds to me like a dirty fuel injections system. that carbon can really build up quickly in there.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-17-2002, 07:13 PM

Ok, I just pulled off the intake and sprayed lots of carb cleaner and wiped down what I could of the front and back of the throttle plates and body. It took awhile to start the engine again after reassembly, but that was probably due to all the carb cleaner that was still in there. It seems now to start and settle into a rock steady idle without the dipping and wavering. It really wasn't very difficult to get the intake off, so I'm going to let the engine cool down and take off the intake again and give it one more pass. The next few days will give me a better idea of whether the problem is fixed completely.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by gcookaustin
If that doesn't work; I'd recommend taking off the hoses and spraying some cleaner down the throttle. I remember I was able to give it gas too and that it would start up just fine.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:42 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I'd just like to toss a little info in here. When ya'll are spraying the carb cleaner in the throttle body, try to not dump the whole can in there at once. There's a couple guys here that have intimate experience (read: expense) with the term 'hydro-lock', and yes, it can be accomplished with a single can of carb cleaner. Just spray a good blast in there and attack it with a rag while holding the throttle open (engine OFF.) Rinse and wipe again. Finally another good shot and reinstall the snorkel tube. Start the engine and clear it out (remembering that hard revving in neutral is hard on the timing belt.) If it runs better/o.k., you're done, if only a little better, give it another go.
Old 06-18-2002, 06:54 AM

Hmm, I hadn't considered that. Luckily I didn't do any discernable damage to the engine, at least there isn't any more knocking and whining under the hood than usual. It seems to settle into idle after start much better now, but I'm thinking of cleaning it again tonight after work since I've still got over half a can left. I might even take the MAF sensor out and do that again too.

FYI: If anyone is thinking of replacing the PCV valve, the EGR valve, cleaning the TPS, installing a coolant backflush fitting, or replacing a split PS return hose, remove the intake duct from the engine. It opens up a ton of room to work in that area.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
I'd just like to toss a little info in here. When ya'll are spraying the carb cleaner in the throttle body, try to not dump the whole can in there at once. There's a couple guys here that have intimate experience (read: expense) with the term 'hydro-lock', and yes, it can be accomplished with a single can of carb cleaner.