How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-05-2008, 05:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to JLHollowX13
are ecu's interchangeable???

ok, here is my delima (sp? lol) i found a guy selling a fwd svx for 1k, (actually its 500 cash, 500 in trade) it has problems but would be a great parts car, or even dd if the title gets fixed (there is title problems so if they cant be resolved itll have to go to parts). it is a few hours from me though, and it doesnt have an ecu. my question is, can i use my ecu from my 92 in the 94? i would just need to use it to get it home and thats all. if it wont work, does anyone have a 94 ecu laying around that i could "borrow"? maybe send some $ your way as collatoral, then once it is returned i get a full or partial refund, depending on if you want money for using it. i kind of would rather just borrow one in a way because then i could take my svx to pick it up, but if that doesnt work i want to see if my ecu will work. thanks for any help!
Old 07-05-2008, 11:44 PM
i can make it on my oooowwwnn!

Re: are ecu's interchangeable???

sorry jl, i can't answer you yes or no for the ecu swap but i'm running a 94 ecu in my 92 with no problem but they are both awd cars.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:16 AM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse

Same here ran a 92 module in a 94. Pretty sure the only difference beetween the modules aside from the chips in them is the obd 1 and obd 2. A 95-97 module would be swapable and a 92-94.

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 07-06-2008, 10:49 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

yes the ECU's are interchangeable between any OBDI model 92-95. The only differences is the added EGR temp sensor on the later models. a 94 ECU will throw a CEL in a 92 considering there is not sensor there... but the 92 ECU will not in the 94

Tom
Old 07-07-2008, 12:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to JLHollowX13

thanks tom on your info about the codes, thatll help me when i test drive it. with my 92 ecu i wont get confused if codes are thrown, ill know something really is up. the guy tells me that all it needs is the ecu, i guess ill see if i go and get it. the only thing is if i do get it and use it for parts, the car will have to be TOTALLY GONE by september, so ill post it up in the parts section if it comes to that. i guess ill see when i see the actual condition and if it REALLY only needs the ecu. thanks for all the help though!
Old 07-08-2008, 06:54 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
The only differences is the added EGR temp sensor on the later models. a 94 ECU will throw a CEL in a 92 considering there is not sensor there... but the 92 ECU will not in the 94
Tom
Have you actually tried this Tom?

I know the 92 ECU will detect whether there is an EGR temp sensor and switch into "california emissions mode" if there is, or remain in "standard emissions mode" if not.

You said previously that all the later models had EGR temp sensors and therefore all ran in "california emissions mode". But I assumed that the detection logic was still in the ECU and they would fall back to "standard mode" if no sensor was detected.

I can't help thinking that one mode or the other must have a couple of extra horsepower.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 07-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
Have you actually tried this Tom?

I know the 92 ECU will detect whether there is an EGR temp sensor and switch into "california emissions mode" if there is, or remain in "standard emissions mode" if not.

You said previously that all the later models had EGR temp sensors and therefore all ran in "california emissions mode". But I assumed that the detection logic was still in the ECU and they would fall back to "standard mode" if no sensor was detected.

I can't help thinking that one mode or the other must have a couple of extra horsepower.

Absolutely true... I put a 94 ECU into my 92 a couple years ago and came up with the EGR Temp sensor code... Had to change it out to a 92 ECU The temp sensor doesn't change anything, it merely detect when the EGR is open/closed by detecting the heat. So there are no extra ponies laying up in there

Tom
Old 07-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Absolutely true... I put a 94 ECU into my 92 a couple years ago and came up with the EGR Temp sensor code... Had to change it out to a 92 ECU The temp sensor doesn't change anything, it merely detect when the EGR is open/closed by detecting the heat. So there are no extra ponies laying up in there

Tom
OK. Thanks Tom. That's more interesting info for me to research. I thought that the ECU "commanded" the EGR when to open/close rather than "detected" when it was open/closed.

I seem to remember that the 92 ECU, when operating in california mode, does some extra calculation in the section that processes the reading from the O2 sensors and also in the section that controls the AFR learning cycle. Could it be that the EGR system introduces some kind of error into the O2 sensor readings that must be compensated for?
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II