How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2008, 09:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to Wolfy
Talking SVX on a diet... any suggestions?

ok im not gonna go sawzall crazy, but are there any heavy metal pieces on the svx that i dont really need? i just wanna make the car lighter.. is there and sound dampeners or resonators or random heavy stuff that i can take out? i know that old mustangs have have this thing of metal called moose balls, i was wondering if claretta had something similar... (yes my cars name is claretta... ) lol its hard to think that she has balls but hey! lol
Old 06-18-2008, 11:15 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Re: SVX on a diet... any suggestions?

air conditioning, and the passenger door.Could the motor weighs a few hundred pounds too
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 06-18-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric View Post
air conditioning, and the passenger door.Could the motor weighs a few hundred pounds too
ok i understand the conditioner, but the passenger door and motor? lol i do need to drive this thing on legal streets lol
Old 06-19-2008, 07:53 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Take out all stereo and audio related equipment and you could save more. Also, passenger seat and back seat and go for a cheap cloth seat in driver side.

Now reality----get used to it--the SVX is a HEAVY touring car by design and WILL ALWAYS be a heavy car. It is not designed to go fast from light to light. Maybe you need to sell it and get a Ford Focus or Honda Civic.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 06-19-2008, 08:01 AM

Registered SVX

+1 what he said..
Old 06-19-2008, 10:28 AM

Cool Re: SVX on a diet... any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77 View Post
Take out all stereo and audio related equipment and you could save more. Also, passenger seat and back seat and go for a cheap cloth seat in driver side.

Now reality----get used to it--the SVX is a HEAVY touring car by design and WILL ALWAYS be a heavy car. It is not designed to go fast from light to light. Maybe you need to sell it and get a Ford Focus or Honda Civic.

Lee
no believe me im used to heavy cars, i used to own a 77 chevy nova, till i broke he rear and it was only able to go in reverse lol i would never trade this car!, its too unique and goofy at the same time... just like me! :P
Old 06-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX

ok, seriousness face here:

You can get a fiberglass hood..That saves about 30 pounds. You can find L or LS seats, and swap the leather onto the non-power bottoms. That saves a good 20 or so pounds as well. lightweight wheels and tires on all four corners will help multiple times over. you can do an exhaust upgrade, and in the process use a smaller lighter muffler. there really isnt anything else worth removing that wont interfere with the car's luxuryness.
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 06-19-2008, 11:03 AM

Talking Re: SVX on a diet... any suggestions?

hmmm thanks eric, ive always favored cloth seats over leather anyway... and where would i be able to get a fiberglass hood for my svx anyway? the places around here can only get things for like civics and focus grr if i do get a fiberglass one, wold anyone on here want my stock hood? same goes for the leather seats... i might make a trade for cloth basic seats if anyone is interested?
Old 06-19-2008, 11:14 AM
Will

I dont think you need to swap out the seats themselves, just the bottem portion that contains all the motors. I did the exact same thing, not to save weight but to upgrade to leather seats. I used the leather seats from my lsl parts car and the non power seat tracks from the old cloth seats. i wanted to keep the power drivers seat but the for and aft motor was shot so I did what I could. Its your car but I can tell you this, the manual seat track on the leather seat weighs alot less that the same seat with a power track. Its hard to come to grips that the SVX is such a heafty car, but its that heaft that keeps the tires hooked up around the twistys.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:22 AM

Wink Re: SVX on a diet... any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.5InchTrueDual View Post
I dont think you need to swap out the seats themselves, just the bottem portion that contains all the motors. I did the exact same thing, not to save weight but to upgrade to leather seats. I used the leather seats from my lsl parts car and the non power seat tracks from the old cloth seats. i wanted to keep the power drivers seat but the for and aft motor was shot so I did what I could. Its your car but I can tell you this, the manual seat track on the leather seat weighs alot less that the same seat with a power track. Its hard to come to grips that the SVX is such a heafty car, but its that heaft that keeps the tires hooked up around the twistys.
true, but i still wouldnt mind switching up the leather anyway, i used to have a 95 honda civic also, and i loved the seats in those... is the track hard to dismantle?
Old 06-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Will

Aslong as the power motors work. I had a hell of a time getting the leather drivers seat out due to the motor being blown. But its just a few bolts on the bottem of the seat that holds the two together. all in all its not to hard to do.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.5InchTrueDual View Post
Aslong as the power motors work. I had a hell of a time getting the leather drivers seat out due to the motor being blown. But its just a few bolts on the bottem of the seat that holds the two together. all in all its not to hard to do.
yea the motors are fine, i played wth them nonstop when i first got the car to see how comfy i can get lol
Old 06-19-2008, 01:11 PM
svxless

Registered SVX

take out the spare and everything else in the trunk...just first make sure youve got good tires

1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 126k "BXR6" Sold 3/23/13
1992 LS-L Claret 178k totaled 10/26/09

1987 BMW 325is

60% of the time it works, every time
Old 06-19-2008, 03:29 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse

get with SVX files on shaving weight...he sowed me his top secret glove box door mod shaving 4 pounds. there is sound material behind both rear panels and underneath the rear shelfy. You can also take the rear wiper and spoiler to reduce drag and rear wiper motor can come out.

5 or 6 speed swap helps too.

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 06-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX

You can drop the spare tire, jack, everything back there. Back seat? No one rides there on mine, so i'd consider that if i were looking to save weight. manual trans does save quite a bit, manual seats, fg hood, light weight wheels, ac, abs, spoiler, power antenna with a stationary one, head liner(mine was gone for months, no one noticed...).
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!