How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-13-2002, 08:44 AM
EverclearAtMSU

retarted starter

when i bought my svx, it just had a brand new starter and alternator installed. On rare occasion, it's happened probably 3 or 4 times since I bought the car, I'll turn the key and absolutly nothing will happen. I'll turn it about 12-15 more times and then it'll start up perfectly...

Anyone have any ideas on this?
Old 06-13-2002, 09:55 AM
UStifosi

I have the EXACT same problem!

I bought my svx from someone else on this board about 2 months ago. Ocaisionally, I would turn the key and nothing. Turn it again and it would start right up. This continued off and on until last week when it was leaving me stranded some days for 15 minutes. I took it to the shop and they said the starter had a "dead spot". $400 later I pick it up yesterday. After several trips this morning I get in, turn it over, and nothing. I turn it over again and it starts.

I think it is related to the alarm or possibly a bad ground somewhere. I am beginning to think it is not the battery of the starter (or the alternator for that matter).

What does everyone else think?
Old 06-13-2002, 10:56 AM
Green1995SVX

I remember someones car having the very same problem at the reading meet. Who's was it? I cant remember... No one could figure it out.

-Mike
Old 06-13-2002, 11:39 AM
dart

Quote:
Originally posted by UStifosi
I have the EXACT same problem!

I bought my svx from someone else on this board about 2 months ago. Ocaisionally, I would turn the key and nothing. Turn it again and it would start right up. This continued off and on until last week when it was leaving me stranded some days for 15 minutes. I took it to the shop and they said the starter had a "dead spot". $400 later I pick it up yesterday. After several trips this morning I get in, turn it over, and nothing. I turn it over again and it starts.

I think it is related to the alarm or possibly a bad ground somewhere. I am beginning to think it is not the battery of the starter (or the alternator for that matter).

What does everyone else think?
Dirty contacts in the ignition switch?
Old 06-13-2002, 11:48 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
I remember someones car having the very same problem at the reading meet. Who's was it? I cant remember... No one could figure it out.

-Mike
It was Ken (SSSVX) who was having the problem. His problem actually sounded like a bad solenoid. It sounded like the starter was engaging the flywheel but just wouldn't turn. After a few tries, it would just start. It was weird. When the problem began, he had the starter replaced. When the problem continued, he had the starter replaced a second time. The problem persists, as far as I know.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 06-13-2002, 01:21 PM
EverclearAtMSU

i dont think it's the contacts. My starter was replaced a month before I got the car. And I dont see how the solonoid could quit so soon. Those things usually go forever, unless your trying to start the car once it's already started
Old 06-13-2002, 01:32 PM
UStifosi

I am dropping it back off at the shop today. Over the phone, they think it may need a 2nd starter. The other immediate possibilities could be ignition relay module, ignition switch, starter interlock relay (which is no longer available through Subaru). I don't think it is starter related. What do you think?
Old 06-13-2002, 01:36 PM
EverclearAtMSU

Quote:
I am dropping it back off at the shop today. Over the phone, they think it may need a 2nd starter. The other immediate possibilities could be ignition relay module, ignition switch, starter interlock relay (which is no longer available through Subaru). I don't think it is starter related. What do you think?
to me, it does seam like a relay. almost like the ground or constant isn't functioning quite right....you could by pass all that w/ a push button ignition
Old 06-13-2002, 06:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Most likely the ignition switch is the culprit. There was a thread on the Yahoo club way back with several owners seeing the exact same symptoms. It seems the security bolts that hold the ignition switch in place has a tendency to loosen over time which somehow allows for imtermittent contact that generally affects the start position first. I don't have any firsthand experience with this problem, but this is what I recall of the old thread.

For those of you handy with electronics and wiring, it would be a simple matter to tap the starter wire in the ignition harness to an LED mounted on the dash, so whenever the key is in the start position, the LED would illuminate. Then it would be a very easy task to determine conclusively whether it's the starter or the ignition switch. The LED could also be wired after the starter kill relay to eliminate that as a possible culprit as well.

KuoH
Old 06-13-2002, 07:50 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

I had also read about a general trend for ignition switches to fail prematurely in a lot of cars recently, due to the "load" put on them by the typical key chain of today's user. Two sets of car keys with remote fobs, the house (& weekend house) keys, Swiss army knife, Mag light, all the supermarket member tags etc.,etc.; has become the equivalent of hanging a bowling ball off an ice pick & stuffing in the key slot.
Maybe Saab's goofy floor mounted ignition ain't so goofy after all.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 06-13-2002, 08:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Have you guys tried playing with the gear shifter? Mine was having starting problems for a little while, and after playing with the gear shifter to make sure it was in park it would start.. Hasn't acted up in quite some time..

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/
Old 06-14-2002, 06:28 AM
EverclearAtMSU

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
I had also read about a general trend for ignition switches to fail prematurely in a lot of cars recently, due to the "load" put on them by the typical key chain of today's user. Two sets of car keys with remote fobs, the house (& weekend house) keys, Swiss army knife, Mag light, all the supermarket member tags etc.,etc.; has become the equivalent of hanging a bowling ball off an ice pick & stuffing in the key slot.
Maybe Saab's goofy floor mounted ignition ain't so goofy after all.

Ron.
dont forget the little flashie pikacu
Old 06-14-2002, 10:46 AM
UStifosi

The security bolts did back out of the ignition switch and I had them replaced/resecurred. Come to think of it, and I will try it again, I could have sworn that I was able to start the car in Neutral one time. That's not supposed to happen. Right?
Old 06-14-2002, 11:11 AM
EverclearAtMSU

Quote:
The security bolts did back out of the ignition switch and I had them replaced/resecurred. Come to think of it, and I will try it again, I could have sworn that I was able to start the car in Neutral one time. That's not supposed to happen. Right?
you can start the car in neutral. In every automatic car I've been in, you can start the car in neutral. They just make it so you cant start the car in drive, reverse, ect, so the car doesn't automatically start to go when it's turned on. My guess is it's like that so if your engine stalls or something, you can start it again with out having to come to a full stop.
Old 06-14-2002, 04:35 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
When I put my tranny in I didnt adjust the linkage exactly right. The shifter can be in park but if pulled back slightly while still in the park "notch" it will not start. I have to push it all the way forward and then the car will start. Still too lazy to fix it and it may someday prevent someone else from starting it anyway.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.