IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-15-2007, 06:54 PM
replacing something or another

Send a message via MSN to kis86
Hesitation/low power problem...

I'll start with what I know:

1. My EGR valve is stuck open
2. Both oxygen sensors are bad. A guy at a repair shop told me this when they were troubleshooting another problem...the CEL was not on at this time.

Now...what's happening:

The car feels like it just doesn't want to accelerate unless I step it down and get it into "Power" mode. It's hesitating, and just plain doesn't feel like I have any power at all...

It seems to idle fine, although I've noticed a slightly rough idle once every 3 or 4 starts. It does idle at about 750 rpm...on one of the bigger lines

The CEL turned on about a week ago. It started off coming on for a few seconds, then turning off...then on again. Now it's on almost all the time, solid. I'm going to check codes, but I'm thinking it'll just say the oxygen sensors are bad. The problem started before the light came on, and has gotten progressively worse as far as I can tell...although maybe I'm just getting more annoyed *lol*

The air filter was recently changed to a fram airhog. The oil is clean, filter should be fine as well...was changed with the oil. No smells or funny sounds that I can find. The throttle body and maf were cleaned, the maf tested on another svx and works fine. Haven't done anything with the TPS...maybe it could be the problem, or plugs?

I'm tired of feeling like I have to step on it just to keep up with traffic starting from a stop light! Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 08-15-2007, 07:04 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Sounds like an extreme version of my problem. My car hesitates when I try to start moving. It starts moving slowly, then seems to get held up from 1200-1700 RPM, then accelerates normally. The best way I can describe it is like there is a dead spot in the gas pedal travel, where moving it has no effect.

I'm attributing this to a bad Throttle Position Sensor. Hopefully a new one will solve the problem and give me a nice, smooth running car.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 08-15-2007, 07:24 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Sounds like MAF troubles to me.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 08-15-2007, 08:03 PM
replacing something or another

Send a message via MSN to kis86
Update

Ok, here's an update...I checked the cel codes, and just got the following:

28 Knock Sensor No. 2 (Left Side)

Would this cause my problem, and is it possible it's a fluke? I know, I know, I just have to check because it wasn't a problem when I checked the codes a couple months ago.

Second thing, the MAF was switched with another car...and it worked fine in that one so I'm thinking probably it isn't the problem. Thanks for the quick responses!

And third, I noticed there's a slight whining noise coming from my speakers, as if there's some interference with my engine...the higher the rpms, the higher the whining is through my speakers. Just thought I'd mention it just in case it's a electrical issue

Last edited by kis86; 08-15-2007 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kis86
I'll start with what I know:
1. My EGR valve is stuck open
2. Both oxygen sensors are bad. A guy at a repair shop told me this when they were troubleshooting another problem...the CEL was not on at this time.
1.Fix/replace the EGR valve, engines don't run well on exhaust gases (hot nitrogen and carbon dioxide).
2. Once the engine starts seeing the right amount of oxygen, the problems that the oxygen sensors appear to be having might suddenly go away .
I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely in your thoughts advanced to the state of Science, whatever the matter may be.
Sir William Thomson