Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 09:32 PM

Red face Getting ready to ditch my FZ4s!

My Toyo Proxes FZ4 are driving me to distraction with their noise! They have about 25K on them, and still have some good tread left, but the noise that has developed over the last year or so, is too much. I've rotated them, and the wear is even. My wife used to drive the car for a couple of years, and she simply got used to the noise. (I was happy because it hid the sound of the always failing rear wheel bearings.) Anyway, I've taken it back from her, gotten the bad bearings fixed, and can't deal with the noise anymore, which even drowns out my sound system.

I've read hundreds of postings here about tires, but am still unsure how to roll the dice this time; looking for something that would be a "touring" style, I think, perhaps four season (but not necessarily M+S). I would also consider changing wheels, as I'm tired of my custom 16X7s. I'm willing to spend some money, but I'm not wealthy. (If I were, I'd just get ahold of an M3 or at least, a 330 Ci, or something that's probably not that much more quality/ride than my SVX.)

Anyway, I've had P-7s, Dunlop SPs, and now these. I'm getting about 21, 22 in my driving, and have gotten 28 on longer trips, so I'm interested in not messing up the mileage or the ride quality, either. I've seen a lot about 235/45-17s, and suspect this could be a good alternative. I think I'd prefer a brand-name tire like Goodyear, Michelin, or Bridgestone.

Maybe my budget (at least, what I think now) is about five bills for the tires and a grand for the wheels. My driving style is moderate, and I live in the mid-Atlantic region.

Thanks for any help,
Old 07-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
I hear Avon tyres makes some very quiet grippy tires for like 99$ each. Not sure on the treadlife though

as for wheels...go with whatever taste suits you.
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 07-27-2007, 11:02 PM
<-- custom hood ornament

Send a message via AIM to AlcyoneDaze Send a message via Yahoo to AlcyoneDaze
This probably doesn't help you, but I have some like-new Yokohama Avid H4's 215/40R17 that i'm looking to get rid of... i didnt gather what size rims your running, but they are good all-season tires, not sporty or anything, but they have good grip and are quiet.
JDM 'ALCYONE' Rear Panel
JDM 'BOXER' Eingngine Cover
JDM 'SVX' Hood Badge
L-Edition Suede Rear Seats
Old 07-28-2007, 09:12 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
I hear Avon tyres makes some very quiet grippy tires for like 99$ each. Not sure on the tread life though

as for wheels...go with whatever taste suits you.
Yes, Avon are good. OEM on Aston Martin. Made by Cooper Tire which is one of the last USA owned manufacturers.

I'd also point you to Nokian tires made in Finland. Great product & great customer support. Have a look at the i3 for an all season.
http://www.tirefactory.net/nokian.htm
Old 07-29-2007, 04:44 PM
Banned

I've had good luck with Yokohama A550Vs. V speed rated, so crisp handling, AA traction, and they last a really really long time. Plus they're all weather tires. You can get them for around $100 each at sears.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:53 PM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Send a message via AIM to Seraphinwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Seraphinwolf
Other Toyos

I run Proxxes 4's on mine and they work great. Low noise, great feel, and they have actually the best traction in snow i've ever had. I have 235/40zr/18's and most low profiles are loud reguardless but I don't even hear much on the highway at any speed. They do cost more than the ZF4's. Good luck though.
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis
Old 07-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Alcyone ... the brightest star

I just installed 245/40/17 Michelin Pilot Sports last week.
Fabulous ride! Great performance!

Bob
Old 07-29-2007, 08:16 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
I too need some new tires badly. Since I am in calif, I dont need snow tires, but it would be nice to all season tires with good road grip in all conditions (wet/dry), minimum road noise as possible (close to quiet) and not much pricey...

Lookin on tirerack for best sellers for our size, it shows only two best sellers.. Kumho Ecsta ASX and Continental ContiExtremeContact. Anyone had these??Any suggestions....??

-Pavan
Old 07-30-2007, 09:30 AM
Alcyone ... the brightest star

Quote:
Looking on tire rack for best sellers for our size, it shows only two best sellers.. Kumho Ecsta ASX and Continental ContiExtremeContact. Anyone had these??Any suggestions....??
This info came from my son Chris, who is in the tire and wheel business.

"well ... they are both ultra high performance all season ... the Kumho is an asymmetrical design (inner/outer tread) and the Continental is directional ... I personally like the ASX better, it is the newest design, wears nice and even, has a cool squared off design, putting more rubber on the road and for the price, the better choice ... the Continental has been around for longer and I have heard that they get noisier over time and wear poorly ... the Kumho's have a slightly better tread wear rating as well'

Hope it helps

Bob
Old 07-30-2007, 06:12 PM

Registered SVX

I too, have the dreaded Toyo FX4s. It is true they sound like noisy bearings! I had set on first SVX I bought, actually replaced both rear wheel bearings due to their sound. Garage thought it needed front wheel bearings too, when sound didn't go away!
Changed to Falken V rated Ziex 512s based on Consumer reports reveiw. Nice and quiet, exceptionaly good feeling... but pronounced wear at 6k. probably a 15k tire.
Then bought 3rd SVX...new Toyo FZ4s (actually 450 miles on them) and new battery. Dealer had deal with Town Fair Tire. They are still noisy , even brand new. Too new to get rid of...
If I got rid of them, would go with the Michlein Pilot Exaltos , H rated (Which BTW, Costco won't due due to V rated original tires!)
I have the Contis on my Silver, quiet, competent, but not as crisp handling as the Toyos or the Falkens. They flat spot also, which the Falkens don't.
If you can make the above picture I tried to load work, it may help you decide.
1997 Ebony #308 113k "The Black Diva"SOLD
1992 Black over Liquid Silver 152k SOLD
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
1999 Silver SLK230 134k SOLD
1997 Green Outback 137k SOLD
2013 Honda Accord I4 SOLD
2015 Subaru Crosstrek 30k
2018 Tesla M3 30k

Last edited by processengr; 07-30-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:38 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Michelin Pilot Sports

I concur with REDSVX that the Michelin Pilot Sports are an awesome tire and I might add that they are long lasting ( for sport tires). The set on my car have almost 50,000 kms on them although all those miles are highway miles and I baby her.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:10 PM
Banned

I currently have over 40,000 on my yokohamas... and they were rated for 30k. >shrug<
Old 07-31-2007, 05:57 AM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by processengr

I too, have the dreaded Toyo FX4s. It is true they sound like noisy bearings! I had set on first SVX I bought, actually replaced both rear wheel bearings due to their sound. Garage thought it needed front wheel bearings too, when sound didn't go away!
I had a noise problem like that with my OEM Bridgestones before they wore out. Turns out they were scalloped due to wear. If your suspension is out of whack scalloped tires can occur at any time.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:19 AM
Banned

Mmmm. Scallops.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:01 AM

Question Leaning toward the Pilot Sports

My local tire shop has some Michelin's that have a PS2 designation now. It's for summer only, but is not directional, although the tread pattern is asymmetrical. I haven't had a cupping problem, except with the P-7s, back when the car only had about 80K on it (during its infancy ). I really don't know if my suspension's perfect, since it has about 149K on it now. The struts seem to work OK, but the springs probably sag a little by now. All the bushings seem tight. So, assuming my suspension's not perfect, with the PS2s this guy is telling me about, I can rotate them crosswise, which he thinks will help prevent cupping. The current tires, with about 25K or so, do not have cupping, according to him.

Still looking for wheels, will probably go for 17 X 7.5, looking for ET of 48, but wondering if 45mm will do. Recommended tires are skinny 225s, but I would like to go with 235/45s. This would give a slightly larger patch and the overall height would be about 25.3" vs. stock 24.9. I can't imagine any difference with my gearing this way. BTW, somewhere I think I read the stock bolt pattern is 5-112. Many wheels I see are 5-114.3. Is this OK?

Thanks for all your help; so whaddya think?