Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-12-2007, 06:31 AM

binding problem - i know i know....

This has been done many times. I read through all the prev threads with conflicting info.

I get a groan when turning heavy at low speeds and while parking. at near full lock it binds alot. I put the fwd fuse in and it is like a different car! No binding or groaning? Is it dangerous to drive in fwd>? I would think that the gas mileage would be better and i like the pulling feel? I could put the fuse back in in the bad weather....

Anyway, i would like to fix the source of the bind problem if someone with better reading comprehension skills could chime in..

thanks

2006 Merc R350 (wife's car)
2003 M3 SMG coupe (for now)
1996 SVX LSI 28k
2004 Burberry Jaguar electric car (daughter's car)
coming soon... 2006 Noble m400
Old 07-12-2007, 08:17 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
First of all, please post in the appropriate forum in the future. I have moved this thread to tech q&a for you. Please don't make me do it again; it makes me grumpy.

Using the FWD fuse will not, as I understand it, harm your car. All you're doing is preventing the transfer clutch from being used at all. Effectively, your car is now FWD. Go figure.

Please try to avoid spinning the front wheels while you are using the FWD fuse.

The binding is likely caused by a bad transfer clutch solenoid. The part isn't terribly expensive, but the labor can be. You might as well replace the transfer clutch while you're at it.

I have no idea whether your gas mileage will improve, but if you're getting a kick out of the 'pulling feel,' I highly doubt you're about to see significant gains.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 07-12-2007, 09:57 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
I have this issue, but mine is not in hte mechanics, but likely in the wiring between the TCU and solenoid c. I would go to solenoid c with a volt meter and test the voltage going to it. When FWD is engaged it should be betweene 8-14volts, applying voltage to the solenoid keeping it in fwd mode. When slipping is detected, the voltage drops to between 0-0.5v and it opens allowing 4wd to engage.

Without the FWD fuse in, test the voltage. If your getting current, then the solenoid may be bad.

Go here:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...ye95/12431.PDF
Page 18 should start giving you ideas on how to diagnose the problem.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 07-12-2007, 11:19 AM

If putting the FWD fuse in stops the binding and gives you the FWD light, then solenoid C (transfer clutch) is working. However, it may not be working properly. In normal mode, it should be allowing partial transfer to the rear wheels, which will allow the transfer clutch to slip when needed, and only full transfer when the front wheels slip. I suspect you should be prepared to replace the transfer clutches as well as the solenoid and valve body.

Good luck!

Charl
Old 07-13-2007, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaybrad
I would think that the gas mileage would be better and i like the pulling feel?
You won't get better gas mileage. The engine's turning the same driveline and lugging the same weight, no matter which wheels are moving the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdvs
If putting the FWD fuse in stops the binding and gives you the FWD light, then solenoid C (transfer clutch) is working.
I know there must be a thousand threads on this topic, and I don't want to muddy the waters (as all I know about this matter is what I've gleaned from here), but I thought the opposite to be true; that having the fuse cure a binding condition suggests the solenoid is shot.

dcb
Old 07-13-2007, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
I know there must be a thousand threads on this topic, and I don't want to muddy the waters (as all I know about this matter is what I've gleaned from here), but I thought the opposite to be true; that having the fuse cure a binding condition suggests the solenoid is shot.

dcb
Soleniod C disengages the transfer clutch. The FWD fuse engages soleniod C. Failure mode is full transfer.

Last edited by cdvs; 07-13-2007 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:56 AM

i gotta tell ya that I like the way the car feels in FWD mode. It feels faster, lighter, and smoother. I think that I might leave it this way unless the weather is bad or in the winter. I am going to fix the transfer clutch etc...

I still am conflicted in the information about the solenoid c as I read completely opposite answers to the same question...

thank for the help though to all..

2006 Merc R350 (wife's car)
2003 M3 SMG coupe (for now)
1996 SVX LSI 28k
2004 Burberry Jaguar electric car (daughter's car)
coming soon... 2006 Noble m400
Old 07-13-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaybrad
i gotta tell ya that I like the way the car feels in FWD mode. It feels faster, lighter, and smoother. I think that I might leave it this way unless the weather is bad or in the winter. I am going to fix the transfer clutch etc...

I still am conflicted in the information about the solenoid c as I read completely opposite answers to the same question...
Could be you prefer FWD simply because you've never driven one with properly-functioning all-wheel drive. If the AWD binds-up badly in turns, of course it's going to feel better in FWD.

Note that my input on solenoid C wasn't an answer, it was an expression of confusion.

dcb
Old 07-21-2007, 02:42 PM
halfsharkalligatorhalfman

I have had binding for a long time now. I remember reading that if the binding stops when you insert the fwd fuse, then you have a bad sol C. I replaced Sol C and the binding is still there. What could the problem be? transfer clutches??

Ive been driving with the fwd fuse in for almost a year now because the binding has gotten so bad. Also, sometimes while driving, the fwd light will turn off and the car will go into awd. If i turn off the key and restart the engine while driving, the fwd will usually come back. This gets very annoying though. Ideas?

Im thinking of just replacing the whole transmission.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Check to make sure your getting good voltage between the tcu and the sol c. My entire tranny was replaced, and it still binds. The tcu was replaced and it still binds. That leaves one possible solution as far as i can tell, and that's the wiring between the tranny and hte tcu. I haven't had 5spare minutes to jumper around it to see if it works, but hopefully i will this upcoming week.

On a second note, my problem is "intermittent", sometimes i would, sometimes it wouldn't. When i would go to start and couldn't get it to engage normal operation, turning it off and restarting it, and repeat the process for up to 30min, i'd normally give up and put in the fwd fuse and drive it to where i needed to go. I didn't like doing that though. Well, i've learned my lesson. Something burned. FWD fuse does not operate as it should anymore. FWD will light up on my dash when i'm in fwd mode, but even with the fwd fuse in, it's not always, only sometimes. I start my car, and if fwd doesn't light up, i have to shut down and try again. With the fuse in i'm not getting fwd function, only the fwd light in the event that it's not binding.

In short, inserting the fwd fuse if you have binding issues is not a good long term fix. I was using it only when i couldn't get fwd to engage, and boom, it no longer functions for me.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 07-21-2007, 09:52 PM
halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Keep me updated if you figure out whats wrong. Seems like we have similar problems. Sometimes my binding is worse than other times, and sometimes the fwd works, sometimes it doesnt. I replaced sol c and it didnt help. Id hate to end up replacing the transmission and have the binding still be there. Im not very familiar with the wiring of the car. I know where the tcu is but not which wires go to the sol c, or what the voltage is supposed to be. I'll search the network later for a wiring diagram. thanks for the help. good luck.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:11 AM

Registered SVX
SOLENOID "C".

A pulse width modulated solenoid valve, this device is arranged to adjust control pressure to the centre differential, or alternatively clutch actuating mechanism. According to model. Solenoid “C” operates along the same lines as solenoid A and cycles continuously. However the duty is in no way as arduous as that involving constant control of line pressure and no parallel secondary circuit is incorporated. Transmissions equipped with a centre clutch, incorporate a normally closed solenoid, whereas those with a centre differential, a normally open.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-17-2007, 11:41 AM

AWD binding....

I know this is an older thread, but I'm digging to find a solution to my own AWD binding issue. As with some of the other posters, I find that putting in the FWD fuse usually does NOT disengage the AWD...only sometimes when I'm lucky...:-(

I did a voltage test on the hot side of the FWD fuse plug-in...and only got about 6V. I would imagine that it should be 12v?? Do I have a problem in whatever provides current to that fuse, or is it supposed to be only 6V?

Any help appreciated. My AWD binding is getting worse, and I want to go FWD as often as possible to avoid wearing things out while I save up up $ for a real fix...

Bruce

On land: 92 Ebony SVX, 188k
Old 10-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
check wheel bearings
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 10-17-2007, 12:05 PM

AWD binding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
check wheel bearings
Huh? I don't hear any wheel bearing noise...just clunks front or rear when turning backing up, or when going fwd in tight turns. All SEEMS ok when going straight....could wheel bearings still be an issue?

On land: 92 Ebony SVX, 188k