Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-09-2007, 05:48 PM

Fuel injector questions ...

I'm working on a 1994 EG33 that I bought from a parts dealer. It was filthy, and I've got most of it cleaned up nicely with new gaskets going in. I was planning to do the same with the fuel injectors (remove, clean, new o-rings/seals) but I noticed the 2 o-rings plus one seal per cyl are gonna run me about $100.

1) Is it okay to re-use the seals and o-rings if they aren't visibly dry, stiff, or cracked ?

I haven't removed the injectors yet, but the outer seals (the big ones) seem to be quite soft and squishy.

The second issue is about the injectors themselves. Looking at the "squirt" end, there is a silver disk with tiny holes in it, and this looks to be held in place by 4 very tiny metal (?) tabs that are bent over. The problem is that several of these tabs are broken off.

2) Is this a problem ? Is there a risk of the injector tip falling off if all four of the tiny tabs break ?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Last edited by jsteele22; 07-09-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:02 AM

Okay, well I think I answered my own questions somewhat. As for the $100 in rubber, I decided that I'm going to use the o-rings and seals that I have. They look/feel pretty good and I realized that since I'm going to do my own flow testing I'll be able to see pretty soon if there are any leaks. And further down the road, they're not that hard to get at for replacement, if neccesary. But if anybody has good/bad experiences with skimping on this one particular item, I'd love to hear about it.

On the second issue (the tiny tips broken off) I discovered that the part is not metal, but rather the world's second most brittle, fragile form of plastic. (The first is old vacuum lines; am I right ?). One of them smashed into pieces when I pulled the injector from the fuel rail. It does not hold the tip of the injector on like I had supposed, but from what I can tell serves only to a) keep the small o-ring from falling off before assembly, and more importantly b) protect the extremely delicate tip of the injector from getting smashed into stuff. So I'm going to chance it and go without the caps. PLEASE someope tell me if this is a bad idea !!!

I read previous threads on how to remove the injectors from the rail, and I'll add in my own bits of wisdom. There is a square-ish raised area centered on the axis of the injector; this is what you want to grab hold of. DO NOT grab the electrical connector that points off to the side at an angle. I began by using a pair of straight-jawed vise-grips to grab the square-ish area. To minimize damage, I put a layer of duct tape on the jaws of the vise-grips. DO NOT pull with handles of the vise-grips; you want the pull to be very straight along the axis, not cock-eyed. I did okay by holding the jaw end of the vice grips and pulling (really hard !) on this while rotating the injector back and forth. Nothing magic about the angle (its all circular) but the rotation is important to get the thing moving. After doing 5 in this fashion, I ran into a tough one. Then I switched to what I should have done all along. I already had the rail indoors, off the engine and disassembled from the fuel lines, FPR, etc. So I just put some duct tape on the jaws of my bench vise and clamped the injector in it. Then with two hands free I was able to rotate and pull straight up. Walla. Next time, that's how I'll do all 6.

Finally, as for cleaning, I got the exterior scum, grunge, and grit off with carb/choke cleaner before disassembly. One the injectors were out, I did a carefull touch-up with more carb/choke cleaner and Q-tips. The carb cleaner is great for grease removal, but it tends to leave quite a residue. So next, I dunked the injectors one at a time in a small beaker of isopropyl alcohol ('cause that's what was handy) and swirled them around in that. After six injectors, that stuff was dirty ! Not just the yellow/browncolor, but specks of crud swirling around in the bottom. I noticed that the fine mesh screen that wraps around the injector about mid-way seemed to vary in color a bit. So I took a clean piece of lint-free paper towel with some alcohol and wiped the screen VERY GENTLY. Quite a suprise how much crud there was on that screen. Enough to leave dark marks on the paper. I like to think that this task alone will add 3-5 WHP and at least three hot chicks to my ride. It won't, I know, but I like to think that. Anyway, it's late, and I'm rambling. Hope this was helpful to someone.

Good night.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:08 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
<-- someone.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteele22
On the second issue (the tiny tips broken off) I discovered that the part is not metal, but rather the world's second most brittle, fragile form of plastic. (The first is old vacuum lines; am I right ?)..
Bahahhaha! too true.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteele22

(snip)

It does not hold the tip of the injector on like I had supposed, but from what I can tell serves only to a) keep the small o-ring from falling off before assembly, and more importantly b) protect the extremely delicate tip of the injector from getting smashed into stuff. So I'm going to chance it and go without the caps. PLEASE someope tell me if this is a bad idea !!!
Okay, I got a somewhat authoritative answer to my question about the plastic pintle caps. I found a vendor of pintle caps on ebay (userid : bjcda, no affiliation) and asked him about their purpose. His answer :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebay vendor bjcda
Hi Jeff, You are correct on on all accounts. The pintle cap does nothing but hold the oring on. The shape does not matter. There are a few applications that have a cap that does direct the spray from one to a split pattern but this is not the common cap. I have the caps with the 4 fingers.
So bottom line : if your pintle caps crack and come off or if they're already missing, you can either run without them or get cheap replacements (and cheap o-rings) on ebay.

Hope this helps.