Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > ECU Tune Projects

Old 03-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Looks and smells great.

LAN, would it be safe to say that the stage 2v7f (obviously with MAF and injectors) would outperform stock even while using E85 fuel instead of 91?
1992 LSL Pearlie: 108k, 15min/$15 mod, Alternator wiring "upgrade," Power Mode switch, K&N drop-in, 4500k 35w low-beam HIDs, 3000k 35w fog HIDs, lots more planned (pending funds, of course)- 4.44 5spd being at the top of the list.
"We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
-C.S. Lewis
Old 03-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
I suspect so but don't have any data on it. Unfortunately e85 is not available ANYWHERE around here. Phastsvx is the only person I know of running it in an SVX so I would ask him. The feedback I've received from him was good.

The vanagon guys haven't given me any performance feedback. They are just happy to be able to distil, drive on, and drink their own ethanol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
LAN, would it be safe to say that the stage 2v7f (obviously with MAF and injectors) would outperform stock even while using E85 fuel instead of 91?
Old 03-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T
So these roms will NOT work with a 96+?

=(
Old 05-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Looks and smells great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
I suspect so but don't have any data on it. Unfortunately e85 is not available ANYWHERE around here. Phastsvx is the only person I know of running it in an SVX so I would ask him. The feedback I've received from him was good.

The vanagon guys haven't given me any performance feedback. They are just happy to be able to distil, drive on, and drink their own ethanol.
I'll ask him, as this is a subject I've recently become quite interested in. One question for you on the tuning; how do you tune the F/A mix? Do you tune for AFR or lambda? Also, do you change timing advance for E85, and is there a way to bump the compression other than through cam/pisto/valve work?
1992 LSL Pearlie: 108k, 15min/$15 mod, Alternator wiring "upgrade," Power Mode switch, K&N drop-in, 4500k 35w low-beam HIDs, 3000k 35w fog HIDs, lots more planned (pending funds, of course)- 4.44 5spd being at the top of the list.
-C.S. Lewis
Old 05-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Just some dude.

correct, sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeL25T View Post
So these roms will NOT work with a 96+?

=(
Old 05-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Just some dude.

I'm not quite sure what you meant to ask. AFR and lambda are the same thing expressed differently. AFR is the expression of the ratio of fuel to air. Lambda is the expression of afr as a ratio of the stoichiometric ratio of whatever fuel you are using.

In 2v7F runs approximately the same ignition timing for e85 as it does for gasoline. It's quite possible there are gains to be made by optimizing the ignition advance specifically for e85 but I don't have the fuel to work with.

I can build you a high compression engine for $6500.

Quote:
I'll ask him, as this is a subject I've recently become quite interested in. One question for you on the tuning; how do you tune the F/A mix? Do you tune for AFR or lambda? Also, do you change timing advance for E85, and is there a way to bump the compression other than through cam/pisto/valve work?
Old 05-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Looks and smells great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
I'm not quite sure what you meant to ask. AFR and lambda are the same thing expressed differently. AFR is the expression of the ratio of fuel to air. Lambda is the expression of afr as a ratio of the stoichiometric ratio of whatever fuel you are using.

In 2v7F runs approximately the same ignition timing for e85 as it does for gasoline. It's quite possible there are gains to be made by optimizing the ignition advance specifically for e85 but I don't have the fuel to work with.

I can build you a high compression engine for $6500.
From what very little I've read, I've heard that one can either optimise fuel/air ratio by mapping for AFR or by mapping for lambda, but that lambda is more dynamic (i.e. one could map for 0.85 lambda and acheive the same results as mapping for various AFRs over various conditions, WOT, etc.). I'm rather a novice, so I don't know if I understood this correctly or not. I thought it would be like the difference between a logarithmic graph with a straight line (what I understand lambda to be for mapping) and a standard graph with a curve plotted for the same equation (what I understand AFR to be for mapping).

I would totally take you up on that engine to test out the possible benefits of E85, if I had the coin! Is there any way to bump compression on the cheap?
-C.S. Lewis
Old 05-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Just some dude.

Ya, that doesn't really make much sense to me. Anyway, just fyi when you get into running an alcohol rich fuel like e85 afr/lambda becomes much less important than it is with gasoline. With gasoline if you go too rich you loose power. With alcohol if you go too rich you just don't get much more power. The only reason not to run rich with alcohol is it's a waste of fuel. For racing purposes you generally tune much like with diesel--throw in extra fuel just for the **** of it and don't wory about it. This is a result of the much larger spread between lbt and rbt. That would be more fruitful reading for you.

Quote:
From what very little I've read, I've heard that one can either optimise fuel/air ratio by mapping for AFR or by mapping for lambda, but that lambda is more dynamic (i.e. one could map for 0.85 lambda and acheive the same results as mapping for various AFRs over various conditions, WOT, etc.). I'm rather a novice, so I don't know if I understood this correctly or not. I thought it would be like the difference between a logarithmic graph with a straight line (what I understand lambda to be for mapping) and a standard graph with a curve plotted for the same equation (what I understand AFR to be for mapping).

I would totally take you up on that engine to test out the possible benefits of E85, if I had the coin! Is there any way to bump compression on the cheap?
Old 05-09-2008, 07:52 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
I generally run my wideband in a lambda reading all the time. I would prefer 40 points of usable feedback rather than the 20 or so Air to fuel mode will display on the readout.

I must admit I have not run it in a year. When testing , we were still in the testing phase of the software and had not made the jump to the injectors. My impressions where the low end had a noticable amount of tq. Also, while running the fuel i could grab the intake manifold and hold onto it. Gotta love the combustions temp of alcohol.

Ask me again how it runs on the new turbo with injectors, fuel pump and software in august. By then we should have some drunk-fueled track numbers.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
Is it possible to run 2v7f with larger injectors?

Preferably 500cc+ injectors.

Dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 06-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by odepaj View Post

Dustin
Stage 2v7 was made for 370cc injectors so I would not think you could use any others with it.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:52 PM
The car named NIGHTMARE

Send a message via MSN to Nomad
Re: ECUtune Stage 2v7 & Stage 2v7F

just received a chip and installed it but , : Clear memory using Subaru select monitor ... Whats that ? Is that the same thing as to clear the engine codes ?
Old 06-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Just some dude.

Hey Normand,

You don't REALLY have to worry about that. A select monitor is the factory licensed diagnostic and communication tool for communicating with the ECU. Clearing the memory with the select monitor makes it easier for the ECU to learn the correct ignition advance correction to match the new software but even without it, given enough time, the ECU will learn the correct values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
just received a chip and installed it but , : Clear memory using Subaru select monitor ... Whats that ? Is that the same thing as to clear the engine codes ?
Old 06-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Just some dude.

No but i may be releasing software for dual intakes with two svx maf meters and sti yellow top injectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odepaj View Post

Dustin
Old 06-12-2008, 08:11 PM
The car named NIGHTMARE

Send a message via MSN to Nomad

Thanx a lot , ill let it lear then !! I'm very satisfied with all that i've purchase so far ( and it's not the end .. ) with ECU tune . I've just changed a wheel bearing , they asked me 4.5 hour of time . I know that it takes a bout 2 hours ... If you had a garage near my home , maybe i'll move for that !

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: