How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-29-2007, 07:37 PM

Classic SVX
cam seals and plugs

Now that the water pump is done I can move on to the cam seals. The timing belt procedure says to drill a small hole into the cam seal and pull it out with a mech pick. I must have a big drill because it doesn't fit in there to drill a hole into the seal.

I also want to replace the upper cam plugs. Does anyone know how to get the old plug out? It's in there pretty tight. I thought about using a chisel to punch a hole in the face of the plug but I don't know how much clearance I have behind it and don't want to risk any damage. I also tried working the outside of the plug but so far have only succeded in tearing up the plug. Any ideas?
----------------------->>
Forget that stuff, I was just being a wuss. The plugs were easy, jut wack them from the top of the plug towards the condenser and they pop right out. I sprayed a little bit of wd40 on the cam seals and just kept going at them with a pick and eventually worked them out.

I am having trouble getting the half moon key out of the crankshaft so that I can get to that seal. I can't seem to get a good grip on it with my pliers. I've had enough for tonight though. Perhaps tomorrow I'll try visegrip pliers on it.
greg

Last edited by Hop; 03-29-2007 at 10:49 PM.