Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 03-17-2007, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXyGirl
Hairspray from the 80's?
Yeah, and not just the 80s. When I was a kid and Mom commenced to fixing her beehive, we all fled the house for fear of suffocation or poisoning.

Everything we do has some impact. The stuff that comes out our smokestacks and tailpipes goes somewhere. (Drive into Atlanta from where I live and notice the nasty yellow dome over the city, for a vivid example. It's breathable, but I wouldn't call it air.) Radioactive wastes, industrial toxins and some plastics will be around, oh, until the Big Asteroid hits. We can bury it or drop it to the bottom of the deep blue sea, but it's still there. And the longer we're around, the more there is.

Point being, there's a tradeoff that comes with living in a modern, industralized culture. I for one am not ready to give up my cars or the coal-and-nuclear-generated electricity that lights and heats my home. But I can take steps to lessen the damage, so to speak, through common-sense steps such as conservation and recycling. So I stop by the Piggly Wiggly on my way home from work rather than making a special trip, I turn-off the light when I leave the room, and I sort and recycle my newspapers and cans. Small, inconsequential measures that nonetheless would have a profound consequence if everyone would participate. I know folks who scoff at the very term, "recycling," but hey, that's what you're doing when you buy a used auto part form a junkyard. Why th' heck not re-use all the stuff that's reusuable?

So, wandering back to topic of global warming, it all boils down to which scientists one believes. Come what may, it's silly to adopt any view on the environment because of the political leanings of the talking heads.

dcb
Old 03-17-2007, 09:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
When I was a kid and Mom commenced to fixing her beehive, we all fled the house for fear of suffocation or poisoning.
I should have thought about the beehives. Some women in Baltimore Maryland still have them. There's even a Hon Fest to honor the beehive. That was fun.

Sorry for getting off topic.
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Old 03-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Airplane builder-upper

We need a global ban on volcanos....the biggest atmospheric polluters on the planet.......or maybe some reeeeaaaallllly big catalytic converters to mount on them.

Seriously, does anyone remember when Mt. St. Helen blew her top? I was a senior in high school living in Colorado. Two days after the eruption, the sky looked like you were wearing rose-colored sun glasses, and there was an 1/8" of dust on everything...And there's been bigger eruptions since then.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:26 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
It does seem like that point in time marked a climate change, at least in NE, the winters haave seemed shorter and warmer ever since.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 03-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
You might find this article about how hybrid cars are helping the environment enlightning.
http://clubs.ccsu.edu/recorder/edito...asp?NewsID=188
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 03-21-2007, 06:46 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwb3
You might find this article about how hybrid cars are helping the environment enlightning.
http://clubs.ccsu.edu/recorder/edito...asp?NewsID=188
Gene
I never thought of the nickel mining.

Earth mines are some of the most polluting machines on the planet.
Northern Dynasty, a Canadian mining company would rather destroy one of our largest salmon fisheries than soil their own turf.
http://www.ndmpebblemine.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pebble_Mine

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
I don't know, man. The notion that "the idiots get weeded out" in a disaster seems awfully disrespectful to the many thousands of service men and women and millions of innocent civilians who perished, for example, during the second world war. Historically, the fortunate survive catastrophe, natural or man-made, usually as a consequence of pure, dumb luck.
Agreed, dumb luck and ultimately a mixture of decisions whether they were good or bad is what determines where you end up in the end. Certainly it helps to start out more prepared, but just like being born into a rich family makes it easier to succeed, look at how many fail.

Anyway, on a much smaller scale than natural disaster...do you think this guy is smart or lucky??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa7le...elated&search=

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: