Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What would you do?
Stay original. Paint it exactly as it came from the factory. Keep the gray interior. 11 34.38%
Paint the entire car Claret (original color) and paint the roof/ trunk Claret. Install Tan interior. 7 21.88%
Another enticing idea: Install the 97 grille, Paint the car Bordeaux, Install tan interior. 9 28.13%
Other (suggestions welcome) 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-2006, 07:22 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Changes?

I would personally keep it stock color, but have no problem with color changes except for one thing. If you are going to change colors, go to the expense of doing it right and painting jams, sills, inside engine compartment, etc. I HATE CHEAP PARTIAL PAINT JOBS!!!!!!!

Lee

PS: I say I prefer stock color, actually I do like the stock black tops on many of the cars painted the same color as the rest of the car---making it a solid color car. I actually think that makes it look more sophisticated.
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Last edited by lhopp77; 12-15-2006 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:37 AM
J. Bond

Send a message via AIM to ~*~JenSVX~*~
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist
Keep the original Claret; paint the roof and trunk lid Claret; keep the original gray interior; add a '97 grille, and paint the new grille Claret.
I'm going to agree with this idea... That would look very nice!

www.longislandsubaruclub.com

LISC member #50
Old 12-15-2006, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
The 1992 Claret and black combination was unique among the SVX's as it was the only car that came with bronze glass and gray interior (all other gray interiors had blue/green glass. All SVXs starting in 93 had bronze glass if they had beige interior.)

I would repaint the car the exact same Claret (and maybe even solid all over) or keep the black roof and trunk. I would take the time and effort to install the complete beige interior you love. The complementary contrast of the light interior and warm woodgrain would be beautiful against the dark paint (remember, it already has bronze glass) You have avoided all the hassle of repainting door jamps, engine bay, etc.

Look in Earl's locker at his Bordeaux Pearl with tan interior, it is beautiful.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/use...ensteele|17418

Your claret is darker still, so the WOW factor would be increased. Spend extra money on a few good clear topcoats to bring out the high gloss.

I still like the waterfall grille. On dark cars, the brightness and sparkle of the grille and headlights really set it off. The same with the bright silver 97 stock wheels.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 12-16-2006 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:16 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
I really appreciate all of the input. I am stuck on the idea of all claret with the tan interior.

Lee, I appreciate your concern and advice with the bodywork. I will be sure to cover all the bases as far as prep and bodywork is concerned. I will remove as many items as possible from the car for ease of paint.

Thanks to TomsSVX, my car will be up and going mechanically within a few weeks. The parts car will be dropped by his shop and the work will begin soon.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:31 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
That's tan?

Well, if your tan interior is the same colour as Earl's Bordeaux, I am going to go right back on my advice to retain the gray.

That looks absolutely gorgeous!!!!

If that is what you call "tan" it would look beautiful on a Claret car, particularly on an all-over Claret.

My idea of tan is a light brown or dark beige colour. That colour on Earl's immaculate Bordeaux looks pale grey to me, but what do I know?

Go for it! Install the new interior.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-15-2006, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621
I really appreciate all of the input. I am stuck on the idea of all claret with the tan interior.
As a graphic designer and color theorist for more than 35 years, let me tell you that this combination will be STUNNING! And look factory in every way... but unique.

A couple of years ago, when I replaced the rear speakers in my 96 Polo, I had the chance to hold up my beige back seat against a claret body. It was extremely sophisticated and classy. The Bordeaux Pearl/tan combination is very nice, but I think the Claret has a richer look and provides a better contrast with the interior. And the bright silver stock wheels would look awesome as well. Looking for 17"-18" rims for a while, I have yet to find a better looking wheel to put on my 96 Polo.

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Last edited by svxcess; 12-16-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:03 AM
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwb3
I wouldn't change the color unless you are willing to change the door jambs, inside trunk and under hood. Going to same color on top would be good, kind of JDM.
Gene
Agree. You'll have greater success if you stay on or very near your original color. You don't have to be spot on, but close. With your car I might look into Infiniti's dark maroon. It is a nice color that would not require painting all the nooks & crannies to match. Ford makes a nice maroon as well, the one used on their Lincoln models. You can go just a bit darker with your color but going lighter probably won't work as well. I'm also a fan of the "black over" color schemes, and I think black over maroon looks very good. Yes, I like the '97 grille, but a clean waterfall grille also looks good. If you want to be distinctive, you might try taking a '97 grille and having it chrome plated, then install it on your newly painted car. I'll bet it would look really sharp, along with a good set of chrome after-market 18" wheels. Best wishes.
Preston
Old 12-16-2006, 12:42 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDSides
Yes, I like the '97 grille, but a clean waterfall grille also looks good. If you want to be distinctive, you might try taking a '97 grille and having it chrome plated, then install it on your newly painted car. I'll bet it would look really sharp,
This was an item put on some edm or jdm SVXs, it came on the S4 versions, basically a chrome 97 grille.

Quote:
along with a good set of chrome after-market 18" wheels.
I plan to install the stock 97 wheels. I was never really a fan for chrome on the SVX. If I do go with wheels in the future, I will most likely seek out something in a bronze finish.

Well, I should go back outside so that I can continue removing the tan interior from the donor car. Thanks!
Old 12-16-2006, 05:17 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
As the person that'll be doing most of the work on the car, and one who can vouch for the ultra pristine interior he is planning on installing, I would say the al claret with the tan WILL look awesome. When an idea gets the john Hoffman seal of approval, you just cant turn it down. Seeing a claret and a bordeaux in person, both on the car and via paint samples inspected under a fancy pants light, I can say the claret is the deeper, richer, and overall nicer color.

Also, even though itll go the same color, We will be painting the jambs as well. Lets face it, after nearly 15 years of being steped over/on, the paint in the jambs isnt exactly fresh.And hell, the trunk gutters have peoly had some good old fashioned mother nature gunk working away the finish. Everything from the lights to the door handles to all the rubber moldings will be removed. The windshield moldings, and all other unremovable moldings will be lifted and taped off (It will never show or peel) Midaswell also mention that the car will likely get 3 good, wet coats of Glasurit clear, and all (Of the very little) orange peel will be blocked out with 2000 grit sand paper, and buffed to a brilliant finish. If you have never seen a car that has been wet sanded, your in for a treat
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 12-16-2006, 05:59 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of this already!!

Go to it guys

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-16-2006, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
If you want to be distinctive, you might try taking a '97 grille and having it chrome plated, then install it on your newly painted car... This was an item put on some edm or jdm SVXs, it came on the S4 versions, basically a chrome 97 grille.
Here is what it looks like, taken from a JDM brochure. Just happens to be a close color
combination to this discussion. I'm not crazy about it; stands out too much.

Old 12-17-2006, 03:37 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess
Here is what it looks like, taken from a JDM brochure. Just happens to be a close color
combination to this discussion. I'm not crazy about it; stands out too much.

Nice picture.

I agree with John on this, even though I have bought a '97 grille for mine.

On the Bordeaux colour scheme, it does stand out too much, a little bit more bling than the SVX was designed for.

However, if anyone has this and likes it, no offense meant. I think this chrome grill would look very good on a silver car or a black car or a white car. On all other cars my preference would be to have it body colour.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-12-2007, 03:56 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Good News

Things are shaping up for this project!

The apparent brake and suspension issues with the car were addressed. The bodywork and smoothing is progressing nicely over the next week or two, with the aid of Eric, and paint is not far off. My goal is to have the car completed in time for the Dragon Meet in late July.

With the aid of an excellent donor car and the skilled hand of TomsSVX, the Claret has recieved/has had replaced:
-Rear differential
-Sub-frame, end links, etc
-All Four Hubs
-All Four Axles
-Cross-drilled/ Slotted Brakes

Have, but waiting to be installed:
Alcyone Gold Hood Emblem
Alcyone Tail Panel
JDM Corners
Complete MINT Tan Interior from donor car including two airbags, thanks to SVXFiles!

On the way from Subaruparts:
-NEW OEM Bumper covers and a replacement cladding for the right rear.

Soon:
-COMPLETE New Paint in Claret by a professional body shop
-A/C Service and Recharge
-Mild Taillight Modification (From the mind of Eric)
-New Hood and Trunk Struts
-Hella SuperTones
-1 pc Aluminum Pulley

Pictures Soon, I promise.

Last edited by Mike621; 06-12-2007 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:33 PM
OOC for a while

Send a message via AIM to 94SubieSVX
You should update this thread Mike
Old 12-16-2007, 12:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to Roo Send a message via Yahoo to Roo
I see...

that there are some real Photoshop experts around here. What I'd REALLY like to see is a picture of an SVX in the "Diamond Gray Metallic" which is a 2008 color for the Legacy platform. I saw it first on a Legacy GT Spec B, and really fell in love with it. I'd like to see it on an SVX (photoshopped) before committing to painting the car this color.

Any advice on this?

I'm going to be doing a complete paintjob - windows coming out, doors, fenders, bumpers, side cladding, rear quarter trim, trunk...suspension, interior, absolutely out of the car. I'd like to know if it's going to be worth it for the color I'm going to wind up with, since after spending that kind of money and time, I don't want it to look like crap.

I have the gray interior...