Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-11-2006, 08:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
I'm making far more then 135HP at the wheels. The gear ratio is what is restricting my speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
Concerning my car model, I am suspecting that Stage 1 LAN chip is not working properly on my ECU, I mean that it is not suitable for my no cats model, I am having somehow a bad mileage. I was wondering can I add a piggyback fuel management system on my ECU?? (sorry I know nothing about where to install it, to which plug and how it can be connected on my ECU...)

I'm wondering if the lack of Cats is screwing with your O2 sensors. I know they are normally before the Cats anyway, but the higher flow of having no cats could cause a problem. You could try disconecting your O2 sensors to see if you get any improvements. Just a thought.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:28 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg
I'm making far more then 135HP at the wheels. The gear ratio is what is restricting my speed.
Not at 4500rpm, I would bet you're not. Peak power is a grand higher than that. Remember that the engine does not produce 230hp at all times - it only does this at its peak. I don't know what the SVX's power curve looks like. I imagine it's pretty linear, so let's be really unscientific and assume it is. If the engine produces 0hp at 0rpm and 230hp at 5400rpm, that means it'd be about 192hp at the crank at 4500rpm. Assuming 25% drivetrain loss (not unreasonable - have you seen inside one of these trannies? ) you get pretty close to Pete's theoretical number.

My BS math aside, the point is that your car does not produce its peak power at 4500rpm, which (according to Pete, and I'll buy it) is about what it should be doing at the speed we're talking about.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-11-2006, 10:29 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsPeteReally
I used the 0.285 of the Euro car, but if I had used the 0.29 of the US variant it would have made very little difference.
Of course it wouldn't have - I was just checking.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 10-11-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
Not at 4500rpm, I would bet you're not. Peak power is a grand higher than that. Remember that the engine does not produce 230hp at all times - it only does this at its peak. I don't know what the SVX's power curve looks like. I imagine it's pretty linear, so let's be really unscientific and assume it is. If the engine produces 0hp at 0rpm and 230hp at 5400rpm, that means it'd be about 192hp at the crank at 4500rpm. Assuming 25% drivetrain loss (not unreasonable - have you seen inside one of these trannies? ) you get pretty close to Pete's theoretical number.

My BS math aside, the point is that your car does not produce its peak power at 4500rpm, which (according to Pete, and I'll buy it) is about what it should be doing at the speed we're talking about.

See now I'm just messing with you, because I'm making more than the Factory engine HP at the wheels (Note the Car Specs in the Sig.) . I'm running the Stage III kit. My limit in speed is because the STi tranny puts me at my 7300RPM redline around 135. I havent hit it yet. At 120MPH my car was pulling harder then it did stock from 60mph

Last edited by mikecg; 10-11-2006 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:59 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg
See now I'm just messing with you, because I'm making more than the Factory engine HP at the wheels (Note the Car Specs in the Sig.) . I'm running the Stage III kit. My limit in speed is because the STi tranny puts me at my 7300RPM redline around 135. I havent hit it yet. At 120MPH my car was pulling harder then it did stock from 60mph
Ah, I didn't know about your mods. I don't pay too much attention to that scene.

At what gear are you doing 7300 at 135mph?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 10-11-2006, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Ah, I didn't know about your mods. I don't pay too much attention to that scene.

At what gear are you doing 7300 at 135mph?
6th gear in the JDM 6-speed. It's kind of like having a 4.11 diff.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:53 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
OK, So how accurate are the speed signs in construction zones that read your speed? or the laser ones on the back of cop cars in school zones with the read out of your speed? I'd figure the cops would be completely accurate and according to them, My speedo is DEAD ON.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:04 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budfreak
OK, So how accurate are the speed signs in construction zones that read your speed? or the laser ones on the back of cop cars in school zones with the read out of your speed? I'd figure the cops would be completely accurate and according to them, My speedo is DEAD ON.
I'm sure it is. Irrefutable testing method.

In a school zone, it better be pretty damned close. If you see a discrepancy at 25mph, there's a problem. Conversely, if you're going fast enough to see that your speedometer is 5% off, you should probably be arrested.

My point is this - your speedometer might look pretty accurate at 25, 35, 45mph - even with as much as a 5% error. At 150mph, it's another story. A 5% difference is much bigger at those speeds, and makes these 'I went 172mph and I can prove it with another car's speedometer' arguments worthless.

My SVX's speedometer is pretty damned close - definitely the most accurate I've checked against GPS. But I wouldn't dare say that at 150mph it's 'DEAD ON.' I think at 100mph it might be a couple mph off. That was years ago that I checked it like that - who knows these days.

Just to be clear, I'm not calling you a liar. It is possible, just by chance, that your speedometer is 'perfect.' I'm just saying that automobile speedometers are not the most trustworthy, accurate measuring devices. That's all.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 10-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
I'm sure it is. Irrefutable testing method.

In a school zone, it better be pretty damned close. If you see a discrepancy at 25mph, there's a problem. Conversely, if you're going fast enough to see that your speedometer is 5% off, you should probably be arrested.

My point is this - your speedometer might look pretty accurate at 25, 35, 45mph - even with as much as a 5% error. At 150mph, it's another story. A 5% difference is much bigger at those speeds, and makes these 'I went 172mph and I can prove it with another car's speedometer' arguments worthless.

My SVX's speedometer is pretty damned close - definitely the most accurate I've checked against GPS. But I wouldn't dare say that at 150mph it's 'DEAD ON.' I think at 100mph it might be a couple mph off. That was years ago that I checked it like that - who knows these days.

Just to be clear, I'm not calling you a liar. It is possible, just by chance, that your speedometer is 'perfect.' I'm just saying that automobile speedometers are not the most trustworthy, accurate measuring devices. That's all.
It's no problem, I understand what you are saying. I've gone by the radar sign we have at a local construction zone here at all different speeds ranging from 55-80 MPH and it's been dead on everytime. And if that is the case, Then I think I have indeed been to 145 MPH with stock gears and exhaust and 150 MPH with my 4.44's and many mods(and it was still going).
Old 10-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Own'eded

Send a message via AIM to curly2k3 Send a message via MSN to curly2k3
156 with a handful of mods, backed by GPS and G-Tech, the car had about 1k RPM's left in it before redline
Old 10-11-2006, 04:49 PM

Thumbs up No mods

I see all these post on here about people with mods doin 130 and so on.

My car is 100% stock and I had it up to 140-145 going by what my gauge read. My foot was not to the floor and the car felt as though it had alot left.

I can reach lower speeds like 110-120 without even trying very hard.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Own'eded

all of our cars can climb up to the 120 with out a problem.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:16 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
Ordinarily a car's speedometer is a few mph off by even 45. Manufacturers gear the speedometers to read over your actual speed with the given gear ratios and tire sizes.

Putting the car on a chasis dyno to check speedometer accuracy works very well. I have seen dozens of cars go through this procedure and almost all are 10% off by 45-50 mph. My Civic was actually the closest to accurate I have seen (only 3 mph low at 110 mph indicated). However, when I changed my tires and ran it again, I was close to 5 mph under indicated by 75. Both sets of tires were stock sized as well.

That equation for power required to overcome wind resistance is also quite accurate. With a stock 4EAT, EG33, and the 3.54 final drive, actually hitting 150 mph should be nearly impossible. Sonar's speed seems to be tough to hit but within the realm of possibilty with a 3.70 final drive... and I thought he was drafting when he got there.

Mike, you were really at 7300 rpm at 135 mph? I thought the 6 speed had the same 6th gear ratio as the 5 speed's 5th, and with the 4.11's and at 7k... it would be hitting around the 155 mph mark.

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 10-11-2006, 06:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly2k3
all of our cars can climb up to the 120 with out a problem.
That, I think we can all agree on.

Getting past 120 is a different story. Takes the pedal being to the floor and a lot of room to get from 120 to 130.

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 10-11-2006, 06:30 PM
Own'eded

i tend to disagree... i have done it with 4 people total in teh car with no real problem, and it really didnt take long. ask the passengers, lol