How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2006, 10:30 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
...don;t care for anyone else's opinions of our trannyblowing, rear bearing eating, rediculously expensive windshield eating cars.
You forgot the most important:

"Wallet Eating"

Do you want to include vehicles from outside the country?

eg. mine or the recently imported JDM in Canada?

My mods are listed on CarDomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2084092
Old 08-31-2006, 02:16 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Outside of the country doesn't matter and all people are welcome to submitt their rides to this... It is not open to only those I designated. I am not sure which cars I will use and that will also be left open to debate after I get writing the article and compiling pictures... If anyone thinks their car is fit to be in the mag, please send your story to this thread and we will decide what makes the cut and what doesn't. I am no dictator, just an organizer

Tom
Old 08-31-2006, 02:19 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
I am no dictator, just an organizer

Tom
Come on Tom. I think you'd look spiffy with a Hitler stash!
Old 08-31-2006, 02:24 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
So what you're saying Tom is that nice little narative full of spelling and grammar errors I sent you should be put into this thread?
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 08-31-2006, 02:46 PM
Maniac modifier

I would rather that beacause my PM inbox is in need of cleaning once every 2 weeks and I would rather just delete all of my old Pm's instead of saving them

Tom
Old 08-31-2006, 02:57 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Gotcha. Still want the pics to be acessable on the internet? I have the first round of pics up on my homepage.

The Write Up:
My SVX was a gift from my mother who felt I needed a safer car than my VW Scirocco. This was after the passing of my cousin she insisted I get another Subaru. She pushed for me to get an SVX. We found one about an hour north of San Diego in Newport Beach. I went up to Newport Beach, test drove the car and it was love at first sight. It was a 92 SVX LS-L, Arizona/Cali car so o rust what so ever. Paint was in great shape, interior perfect, even the rims had no curbage. The original owner had the windows tinted to help preserve the leather, the tint is so dark it blacks out the top of the car.

I had the car about a month or two before I started planning my mods. After I sold my VW and did my taxes I had a decent chunk of money to put into the SVX. My first round of mods consisted of ECUTune.com’s Stage 2v5 ECU Chip w/Z32 MAF, Stebro stainless cat-back, Motor Sports Warehouse Stage 3 CAI, and a set of 17” Flik Artic Rims. This was a great set up but I noticed a big short coming, the tranny.

I had the sound, the power, and the look. But I knew there was more out there. One night I jokingly sent my mom and Ebay link for an Sti 6MT swap. She E-mail me back “I can’t do that for you right now, talk to me in June”, thus the start of the 6MT upgrade started. I talked my mom into lending me the money for the swap and talked Tom Johnson into flying out to Cali to help me with the swap. Tom, my mom, and I spent almost 3 months planning and getting parts together and fabbed up for the swap. I sourced a 6MT swap from Frank at Milenium Autosports in Michigan. Surprisingly I got the parts to my door within a week. The stage was set for the 5th 6MT swap and the first one in Cali.

The first weekend in August was the weekend my Pearl would go to the next level. Tom flew out and we began working as soon as he got to the house. Tom really came through with a set of the Stage 1 SVX Intake Cams. I was beside myself with the generosity. The cams completed the NA package I started with the chip, intake and exhaust. Tom and I were accompanied by my close friend Ryan who, sacrificed his weekend to help with the swap. By the end of the first night we had the engine and tranny pulled. We were set up to finish the swap with no issues. After spending almost a full day doing the cams and new seals we put the pedal box in, mounted the shift linkage, and customized the Group N motor mounts. By the end of the 4th day we stuffed everything back into the Pearl. With everything buttoned up and fluids topped off we headed out for a shake down run.

During the swap I did a couple small projects on the side. We installed new rear wheel bearings, complete brake upgrade, and a custom painted intake manifold. The brake upgrade consisted of Drilled and Slotted rotors from R1 Concepts, EBC Green Stuff Pads, and Stainless Steel brake lines. I added a small custom touch by painting the calipers black and adding a Subaru logo on the fronts. Topped off by ATE Super Blue brake fluid. So not only is the pearl fast now but she can stop!

During the shake down we bedded in the brakes, adjusted the isiss valve bypass, and showed off Cali’s first 6MT to some of the local shops that were supporting me. It was like a totally new car, the rear bias changed how the car handled and it was great! The custom short shifter Tom fabbed up for me always delivers good positive shifts each time. Finally my SVX was complete… for now.

Mod List:

Engine: ECU Tune Stage 2v5, Z32 MAF, Custom Cold Air Intake, Green Filter, Stage 1 Intake Cams, Stebro Stainless Cat-back Exhaust, Group N Motor Mounts, full Royal Purple Fluids.

Transmission: 2005 Sti 6MT, Stock Clutch/Flywheel, SVX front axels, R180 Rear Diff, Sti Rear axels, Group N Tranny Mount, Custom Tranny X-member, Royal Purple Gear Oil.

Brakes: Drilled/Slotted Rotors, EBC Green Stuff pads, Stainless Steel Brake lines, ATE Super Blue Racing Fluid.

Wheel/Tires: 17x7 Flik Arctic Rims, Toyo Proxes FZ4 Tires.

Suspension: Custom Springs 1” drop in the front .5” in the rear, Koni Adjustable Strut inserts.

Interior: WRX Steering wheel, WRX 6 Disc In-dash CD Changer, Custom Sti Shifter trim and boot, A-Pillar Gauge Pod.

Exterior: Stock!

Thanks! Gotta thank my mom first off, if it wasn’t for her this wouldn’t have happened. Big thanks to Tom for all the hard work he put into my Pearl. Thanks to my close friend Ryan for all the time he volunteered for the swap. Thanks to SoCalEuro.com for supporting me during this process. Thanks to Dayle at Motor Sports Warehouse for selling great products. Thanks to Mike at ECU Tune. Lastly, thanks to Derrick at Performance EFI for the Dyno Time he donated.
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX

Check My New Homepage..
Old 08-31-2006, 03:14 PM
Maniac modifier

Kerry, I just check out the pics on your homepage... listen, I like the idea of the background having the plane but ths pics are too bright and show a lot of reflection from the sun. I like the pics with Ryan's car too but without Ryan's car it would be better. No offense to Ryan's car but it's just not a shot for this article...

Tom
Old 08-31-2006, 03:25 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Like I said, it was round 1. I wasn't happy with any of them. Paul and I are going out Sat. to snap some better ones. He has better equipment and know how. THe ones with Ryan's VW is mostly for the SocalEuro guys.. lol

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX

Check My New Homepage..
Old 08-31-2006, 08:28 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Bullcrap!! I can think of over 4k in work you ave done to your car... not to mention the stuff that is "secret"...hahaha... give me a more realistic figure

Tom

Okay, how about $4k purchase + $5k in mods

-Bill
p.s. seriously, let me write something up over the weekend and PM it to you...you just have to realize if my wife ever sees it you will have to die

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-31-2006, 08:36 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Okay, how about $4k purchase + $5k in mods

-Bill
p.s. seriously, let me write something up over the weekend and PM it to you...you just have to realize if my wife ever sees it you will have to die

Funny you say that. My wife never said I could go to Florida for the challenge. She simply said very tenatively in about 30 seconds "Well... HUGE PAUSE... I don't want to say that you can't go"

The question now is how much and when will this cost me?
Old 08-31-2006, 08:47 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Funny you say that. My wife never said I could go to Florida for the challenge. She simply said very tenatively in about 30 seconds "Well... HUGE PAUSE... I don't want to say that you can't go"

The question now is how much and when will this cost me?

Sounds like our wives are very similar, my friend
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-31-2006, 10:10 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Price list: i just used wholesale numbers since labor for me is free....

Modifications
car with broken trans, $1,000
Drivetrain:
4.11 5mt conversion. MY03 parts $3,000
RPS 405ft/lb street/strip full-faced clutch $350
legacy 19lb flywheel $50
STi trans mount $99
Kumho Ecsta MX 225/50yr16 $426

Engine:
replaced with 41k mile stock internal EG33 $750
a/c delete $0
T3/t04E-60 trim turbocharger, .60a/r coldside |.63 a/r hotside $450
Custom 304L stainless collector (3-2-1) $200
Custom 3" 304L turbo back exhaust system-fully mendral $450
26"x6.5"x3" Front Mount intercooler, 25" endtanks $175
Custom 2.5" 304L Stainless mendral intercooler piping $180
Custom 3" to duel 2.5" intake plenum adapter $50
Tial 38mm External Dump wastegate- "big" yellow spring(10.1psi) $200
ply couplers-assorted $120
HKS Super Sequential blowoff valve $225
HKS Super Mega Flow 80mm air filter $120

Electronics and Management:
ECUtune Stage 2v6 engine management system (on the fly switchable pump93 and E85 Ethanol maps) $450
Z32 300zx Mass air flow sensor conversion(ecutune)/tomei harness $100
Vortech Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator(boost dependent, 8:1) $80
AEM guage type Wideband EUGO controller(in lambda ) $275
Autometer vac/boost guage(20psi) $65

other mods:
Carbon fiber hood w/hoodscoop $150
JDM SVX Hood emblem $85
740IL HID projector/bulb/ballest conversion -
JDM "Boxer" engine cover -
JDM fusebox cover -
stripped trunk -
Pioneer MP3 Headunit $150
total cost: $9,565

[/QUOTE]
Old 08-31-2006, 10:15 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Aside from tiny bouncy ball sized hail dents on the hood and top that can only be seen from the car's reflection, my stock 93 barcelona is quite clean inside and out, except for the engine bay being a bit dirty. It should be considering it has 47k miles, something which do not feel ashamed but not proud of either. In, fact I should post some pics in my locker, even though some are cell phone based but I think I have two 4mpx shots you might like. Perhaps I should resort to less posting and more action.

Unfortunately I might lose them due to reformating if I didn't back them up on the external.

Last edited by Weebitob; 09-01-2006 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:20 PM
Locker Link Solution

I don't know if any of you have seen the discussion from earlier today... but he really is not interested in $$$ he wants a multifacited jewel. So... pics and some writing that'll give the car some depth. The list is good... but work them into a write up more than just have it to hand over... Which I'm sure Tom is doing, but just pointing out that I think the dollas are the least of your worries.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...php?p=15089067
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 08-31-2006, 10:29 PM
Maniac modifier

Just wrote up a rough draft.... yeah it sucks.

I have a better idea... I need all applicants to write their own little summary of their car in the 2nd person perspective. Write about your car only not saying I but describing what you did as if you were there.... I dunno how else to ask but that is what is going to work best... Thanks guys

Tom