Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-20-2006, 02:18 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Packing the bearings?

How do you clean out the old grease and repack the rear bearings? I've read that you need to replace the manufactures grease with high temp grease. Auto stores and mechanics tell me you don't do that on our bearings. Any info on this subject?
Old 08-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Inhabitant of Darkness

Registered SVX
as far as i have read in this forum and from people i have talked to , you would. supposedly the grease in the bearings are just to keep them for better shelf life.

i have bearings (subaru) in my car/ all for corners, replaced less than a year ago without being repacked. i think they are gone already.
1992 Subaru SVX LS~L Ebony Pearl JDM 6MT/DCCD
2007 Subaru Legacy Spec B. Diamond Grey Metallic
Old 08-20-2006, 03:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to subru92svx
How do you clean out the old grease and repack the rear bearings? I've read that you need to replace the manufactures grease with high temp grease. Auto stores and mechanics tell me you don't do that on our bearings. Any info on this subject?

Are you thinking of repacking them as a fix for a noisey bearing or just because you heard you need to replace the manufactures grease with high temp grease? If you have a bad one just get new ones that already come prelubed. Any bearing you get that comes prelubed should already have high temp wheel bearing grease in it. I Don't see a reason why a manufacturer of wheel bearing would use anything else. I asked my local Subaru dealer if they had any advice about the installation when I bought my new wheel bearings. They just told me to be very careful, replace inner and outer seals, and that the bearings are sealed bearings and you do not do anything to them besides install. Hope this helped a little.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:07 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
I repacked mine by hand. First I soaked them in a solvent to get rid of all the original "shipping grease". Let them air dry, then either use a bearing greasing tool or do it by hand the old fashioned way.

You take a glob of grease put it in your palm, then take the bearing and hit it against your hand into the glob of grease. This will force the left over solvent and old grease out. Do this until the new grease starts coming out from the other side.

This way of doing it took me about an hour and my hands were nice and sore after. Your best bet is to buy a packing tool from an auto parts store. They're not that expensive.
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 08-20-2006, 06:02 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
I have already replaced my bearings twice within 40K miles with the original packed grease. If you read the 'how to' about bearings, they say to replace the grease. This is why I ask if repacking them would be better.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:20 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Another question; why does the axle nut have bent in it as if someone banged it? Is this to prevent it from loosening? It looks as if a key belongs in there, am I mistaken?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg axle nut.jpg (125.4 KB, 88 views)
Old 08-20-2006, 06:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to subru92svx
Did you replace wheel bearings yourself or did you have a shop do them? What brand did you go with? The nut is suppose to be like that. You stake it in place to keep it from loosening like you had thought.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:18 PM
Mr. Inappropriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr
I have already replaced my bearings twice within 40K miles with the original packed grease. If you read the 'how to' about bearings, they say to replace the grease. This is why I ask if repacking them would be better.
The grease that comes with the bearings is only a light shipping grease to keep the bearings from rusting while they're shipped and sit on the shelf. I wouldn't even use that crappy grease on my bicycle. Anyone that says not to repack the bearings doesn't know what they're talking about. Now, there are some types of wheel bearings that are sealed and there is no way to regrease but ours are not that type.

A good way to ensure the bearings are clean is use brake cleaner, you'll need at least one can per bearing, and spray out the old grease. Using the little red tube really helps blast out all that shipping grease.

Repack with a good grade of hi-temp grease. It's also very important to torque the axle nut properly. The dent in the end of the axle nut is there to keep the nut from working itself off. These are not crimp nuts nor castle nuts with cotter pins so the only thing securing them in place, besides the torque, is the dent in the end of the nut.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:35 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
My only caution against brake cleaner would be for whichever race it is that has plastic parts (inner race, I think). I wouldn't use brake cleaner on any plastic parts. I used electronic equipment degreaser from radio shack. It worked great. Then, on the outer race that's all metal the brake cleaner is great.

Make sure to get all the old grease cleaned off otherwise it'll just mix in with the new stuff and compromise its capabilities. The solvent also needs some time to air dry or it'll do the same.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 08-20-2006, 10:36 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Thanks for the replies! I had the work done by a shop and they did not replace the grease, that is why I prefer to do the work myself.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:55 PM
Mr. Inappropriate

No worries about the brake cleaner on the plastic parts. It had no effect. Brake cleaner is some pretty nasty stuff but I can't recall any plastic or rubber I've ever used it on it has softened/disolved.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
Quote:
Another question; why does the axle nut have bent in it as if someone banged it? Is this to prevent it from loosening? It looks as if a key belongs in there, am I mistaken?
yes you are exactly right... and if your going to loosen it by hand you need a punch to unstake it... i just impact them off
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 08-21-2006, 05:33 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Do you regrease only after market bearings, or does it also apply to the Subaru's bearings?
Old 08-21-2006, 05:34 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX10
My only caution against brake cleaner would be for whichever race it is that has plastic parts (inner race, I think). I wouldn't use brake cleaner on any plastic parts. I used electronic equipment degreaser from radio shack. It worked great. Then, on the outer race that's all metal the brake cleaner is great.

Make sure to get all the old grease cleaned off otherwise it'll just mix in with the new stuff and compromise its capabilities. The solvent also needs some time to air dry or it'll do the same.
The only plastic that really matters is actually between the races. It is all that stays in the bearing when complete, I think it is black and spaces out the rollers.

the qd electrical terminal cleaner stuff should be fine.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 08-21-2006, 05:56 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Do you regrease only after market bearings, or does it also apply to the Subaru's bearings?
Even if you think the OEM bearings may have appropriate grease, why not repack anyway and remove all doubt?