Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Competition Motorsports

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-20-2006, 10:30 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Chike,
how much negative camber are you running now? You should be able to run at least 1, if not 1.5, degrees without wearing out your tires too much with daily driving... Might be interesting to try out more negative camber before installing the bigger FSB.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 06-20-2006, 10:36 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Chike,
how much negative camber are you running now? You should be able to run at least 1, if not 1.5, degrees without wearing out your tires too much with daily driving... Might be interesting to try out more negative camber before installing the bigger FSB.
-Bill
Bill,

I've maxed out the -ve camber using the factory bolts at -1.1 in the front. The FSB is the next best mod for me w/o going to r-comps.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 06-21-2006, 06:17 AM

Here's the two re-sized pics....

...that I purchased from the photographer:

Old 06-21-2006, 08:39 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
On the SVX racer - the one you and Dave autoX on a regular basis.

This discussion is going nowhere. Good luck with your autoX season Ben!

I've done it on both the my stock SVX and my XT6 which FWI you don't know what understeer is until you drive it. There was virtually no effect on either aside from my times getting slightly better.

Of course the discussion isn't going anywhere. Its a forum. Since when do YOU get to decide who can talk? Of course it wouldn't with the mindset of yours... Lookie at my new big swaybar. It makes me feel like a real man now! If you didn't realize Bill was agreeing with me as well. A stronger bar at one end will make the car very unsettled which unless you've gotten a whole lot better driving since last I saw (which honestly I doubt as the learning curve in autox is very slow after the 1st 10 events or so w/o spending the cash on a school) it'll make the car much harder to drive thus times increase not decrease. Wonder why Bill had soo much trouble in our racer? It isn't that he can't drive as I know he's probably a better/more anyaltical and technical where I tend to drive by feel and could care less if I'm exactly in the line I wanted to be in so long as it feels right hence, the good day/bad day effect. Not something I would recommend to anyone but its how I learned to drive and is quite tough to change.

Oh as for luck. I don't need luck. Remember I'm now the official aluminum bodied Porsche killer of the region.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:56 AM

Cool. I know I'm getting better, but yeah, I'd agree that a racing school would help me a bunch. I've been working off and on at events and test-n-tunes with an instructor in my club and I tend to focus in on one or two areas at a time - e.g. getting closer to the cones on both sides of the car, staying focused on the racing line by looking further down the course, etc.

I wasn't trying to say your opinion wasn't valid, but neither you nor Bill autoX a WRX/STI. The Impreza platform, while similar to other Subarus in many ways (SVX or XT) is still very different. I'm doing mods and working on my driving to go fast in my WRX. I'm therefore following the advice of WRX/STI drivers who compete and do well at Pro Solo events as well as the SCCA Solo National Tour.

This is my first full season in autoX and I'll have 7 events under my belt after this weekend. I'm not complacent in my driving as I know I have much more to learn and I'm striving to compete in as many events as possible this year.

Old 06-21-2006, 02:59 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Bill,

I've maxed out the -ve camber using the factory bolts at -1.1 in the front. The FSB is the next best mod for me w/o going to r-comps.
Chike,
Great! Have you checked to see if aftermarket camber bolts can give you more -ve? The -1.1 should be fine since the car is also your daily driver, though it would be nice to get to -1.5
-Bill (been driving with -1.5 for over a year now....)

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 06-21-2006, 03:01 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
...that I purchased from the photographer:

That has to be the flatest course I've ever seen...were there any off camber aspects to the surface?
-Bill (starting to realize just how difficult FedEx is...)

My Locker
Old 06-21-2006, 03:08 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
snip* Wonder why Bill had soo much trouble in our racer? It isn't that he can't drive as I know he's probably a better/more anyaltical and technical where I tend to drive by feel and could care less if I'm exactly in the line I wanted to be in so long as it feels right hence, the good day/bad day effect. Not something I would recommend to anyone but its how I learned to drive and is quite tough to change.

Oh as for luck. I don't need luck. Remember I'm now the official aluminum bodied Porsche killer of the region.
Ben,
It was because the RaceCar is an ANIMAL!

Chike,
Please take everything Ben and I say in the spirit it was intended. After two seasons on "working" on my car, I'm still sorting it out. Changing the front and rear bars were MAJOR, MAJOR changes in how the car behaves. Looking back (hindsight being 20-20 ), I would have put more seat time in the car after getting the R-Comps and springs/Konis, then moved to the bars.
-Bill

My Locker
Old 06-21-2006, 03:27 PM

Quote:
I wasn't trying to say your opinion wasn't valid, but neither you nor Bill autoX a WRX/STI. The Impreza platform, while similar to other Subarus in many ways (SVX or XT) is still very different.
Least you forget I have more seat time (miles wise) in an Impreza than I do any other car or Subaru for that matter except for the EA-81s.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Ben,
It was because the RaceCar is an ANIMAL!
Animal? What like a cute little chiwawa or something?
Old 06-21-2006, 05:22 PM

Quote:
That has to be the flatest course I've ever seen...were there any off camber aspects to the surface?
-Bill (starting to realize just how difficult FedEx is...)
Yeah, the course was super flat as it was held at the Mercer County Regional Airport in WV.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:11 PM

Thumbs up

Registration is now open for the Maryland Subaru Challenge!!!

http://www.subaruchallenge.com/

Old 06-27-2006, 08:30 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Registered
Old 06-27-2006, 10:24 PM
Frequent User

Will the all-powerful Mr. SVXRide be there to defend his 2005 title? It would appear that the BillStock SVX is even more formitable this year as it appears to be at level 3.5... Yet Mr. Chike-Bob will have his new WRX missle armed and ready and Mr. Hocrest and Mr. Benebob will roll into Ripken with the ever dangerous RaceCar...Where are Mr. NEWSVX and Mr. TOMSSVX?
Old 06-28-2006, 12:30 AM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Registration is now open for the Maryland Subaru Challenge!!!

http://www.subaruchallenge.com/
I guess I'll have to show this year!!
The daughter lives in Bel-air, and her hubby mowed the grass there! ( at Ripkin).. I have a place 'staked out' where the tow dolly can be parked, so I guess I have NO EXCUSES to NOT be there!!

I just tried to sign up on line, and lost the page during the deal!!! I'm glad that I had not punched in any credit card info!!
I guess I will show up, and if they are too full to let me in, I'll just have to applaud for my friends, and haul my pathetic junk back home!!

Jerry

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry

Last edited by subi-crosser; 06-28-2006 at 12:41 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: