Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should I get a sport bike or an '04 STi
Yamaha R6 or Suzuki GSX-R 600 9 30.00%
'04 STi 21 70.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2005, 03:51 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
Get the R6 and keep the SVX. That way if you do need to lug something around you still have a car with a trunk and a backseat (even though their not that big at least you have them). It's a win-win situation. Then keep the SVX until you are out on your own and have your own garage and maybe a few years down the road will have the financial ability to buy a Sti without trading in the SVX. Think about it... Which will be harder to get 4 years from now a SVX or a Sti?
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 11-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Why a sports bike? If you wanna use it for anything other than pleasure go with a tourer. Much nicer and it'll get used more. I probably have 15k on a bike without incident but every time I go out someone does something stupid and I have to componsate. You could be the best rider in the world and you're death rate per mile ridden will be about 5 times higher than it would in any car class.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:49 PM
After 200, it's all the same.

I understand this. As I see it, my goals in life would require me to miss out on the STi for now and opt for the bike. The bike seems more practical as far as finances go. I would get a tourer or a street bike similar to a nighthawk, but I also have plans for hit the drag strip for competition once summer hits.

1992 Pearly 187K and climbing (11-91) #964 *retired

1992 Pearl SVX 122500 miles #86 FASTAR THAN THE OLD ONE.*SOLD

Everytime I get into my car, it always reminds me that it has POWER
Old 11-20-2005, 07:04 PM
Headed to Texas...

You asked, so I'm tellin you - get the STi

(course it sounds like you already know whatyou want anyway so just go ahead and do it! )

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 11-20-2005, 07:46 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I'll vouch for the biker's club.

Popularity instantly soars soon as you get one.

Miles on the X goes down, cost of living goes down, immediate threat of other motorists goes up, but we (I) are the kind of people that thrive on that. (:

Besides, something I learned from getting hit (in my car), on a bike, you can avoid any and all accidents if you just use your eyes, even if you are not moving.

It's not like bikes have seatbelts or doors.

Someone coming up fast, drop the kickstand and hop off the biatch, or kick it in gear and squeeze outta there.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:57 PM

Sounds like you will be getting the bike. Have you ridden a street bike before ? If not, or if it has been a while please do not ride until you have taken the Motorcycle Safety course. Dig around on the internet and you will find enough info on the course. Also, your local DMV might have some info.

Ride safe, keep the rubber side down, shiny side up, and watch out for them cagers (cage = car)
Old 11-20-2005, 08:02 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbalach
Sounds like you will be getting the bike. Have you ridden a street bike before ? If not, or if it has been a while please do not ride until you have taken the Motorcycle Safety course. Dig around on the internet and you will find enough info on the course. Also, your local DMV might have some info.
ABATE?
I still have my riders course card. AUG, 30TH 1998.
Helps loads to get that m1 cert.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:39 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
ABATE?
I still have my riders course card. AUG, 30TH 1998.
Helps loads to get that m1 cert.
Ah and I've only been riding 5 years longer... still on a permit . The course never fits into my schedule and I'm too lazy to take the test on my own. Much easier to pay the $10 renewal fee for the permit plus it gives me an excuse not to have to put anybody on the back.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:56 PM
After 200, it's all the same.

I plan on taking the course over the winter and doing the final exam and everything in the spring, right before I get my bike. I have been riding for over 10 years now and have had experience on many different types of bikes and terrains. Trust me, I know what I'm getting into. As far as all the "Do you want to die soon" comments, riding a bike isn't necessarily going to lead me to my demise. We all take risks with every breath we take, and for many of those people who consider a bike to lead me to my ends, ponder this.

Go ahead and go to work tomorrow thinking, "I'm in a car and my safety level rises." Just don't forget about that trucker that has pulled a red eye and looking for a nice space to pull over and sleep as he begins to doze behind the wheel right behind you.

I'm not trying to sound like a jackhole here. It is simply how I view some of the first comments in this thread. Anything can happen to us at any time, so why not embrace what little time we have left and enjoy it with the wind in our faces and a pleasure that some people will never know.

Keith

1992 Pearly 187K and climbing (11-91) #964 *retired

1992 Pearl SVX 122500 miles #86 FASTAR THAN THE OLD ONE.*SOLD

Everytime I get into my car, it always reminds me that it has POWER
Old 11-21-2005, 03:03 AM
Bipa

I'm going to wade in here for whatever it is worth.

First off, are you talking new or used bikes? Secondly, I'm a little confused. You say you have 10 years riding experience, you're 21, so you first started riding motorcycles when you were 11? Are you talking about jr. dirt bikes on tracks in relatively controlled environments? The son of a friend rides dirt bikes in competition here so I'm not being sarcastic, just wondering what your experience was between 11 and when you got your actual street license. Third - country or city or mixed driving? Makes a big difference. You've mentioned 30 mile commute including freeway.

Hubby has been a licensed motorcycle driver and owned his own bikes for over 20 years. Current ride is a Buell (finally sold the H-D), just so you know where we're coming from. I stick mostly with cars, and often end up being the baggage car for trips with the H-D club. But I love it when it starts raining and they all pull up under bridges to don rain gear. I wave at them as I drive past. (We must make an interesting sight, with 30-50 Harleys, one Buell, and an SVX tailing them all )

I'm more in agreement with benebob: why a sports bike? If your main goal is cheap transport to save money so you can get your own place, then a sports bike isn't what you want. You want a cheap, comfortable, safe bike with a bit more power for the freeway, that will get you where you're going.

Is threading allowed where you are? Here bikes are always threading through traffic in-between cars, so a bike with a narrower profile would be preferred for city driving, but for freeway driving you want better wind resistance than most sports bikes offer, and proper riding gear. Full padded leathers with knee, elbow, and a back plate for regular freeway driving are a must in my opinion, along with the proper boots and gloves and full helmet.

You mention hitting the drag strip for competition. You're better off in that case having two bikes, which then eats into your savings. I don't know anyone who uses his daily driver bike for racing. The racing bikes spend most of their time disassembled, being worked on, and only put together for testing and racing. I assume you have equipment and a garage to work on the motorcycle, plus all the necessary extra safety equipment that racing requires.

I suppose I am questioning the whole premise of saving money while getting into racing. Any money you save by commuting by bike will be eaten up by racing, and then some. It will end up more expensive than buying a second car. Why not just get a cheaper car for commuting, or a comfortable street bike, save up your money, and then decide whether you want to move out or start racing.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:26 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
It seems as though the majority of the replies are for the STi and against the bike...yet you are still considering the bike. Why did you bother asking?
Old 11-21-2005, 02:26 PM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayUFO

I'm not trying to sound like a jackhole here. It is simply how I view some of the first comments in this thread. Anything can happen to us at any time, so why not embrace what little time we have left and enjoy it with the wind in our faces and a pleasure that some people will never know.

Keith
Hmmm...well, as the saying goes, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!

That's a valid viewpoint you have there of course, and if that is what you really want then by all means do it. But...the odds of becoming a greasy spot on the road do go up on the bike. And Bipa's post was full of good stuff on the $$ aspect of it as well as safety issues. Weigh the pros and cons - and that of your loved ones worrying about you - and make the call.

Enjoy!

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 11-23-2005, 10:41 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
where is the option to get both of those thoughts out of ur mind?? Get yourself on your own 2 and then worry about pleasures...

Tom
Old 11-23-2005, 10:54 PM
Subaru Addict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius
I think he's looking for cheap transportation...and a quad isn't exactly something you can drive to work everyday...

My vote goes to keeping the SVX and getting the '04 STi as well

In Tucson you can get Quads street legal. But yeah probably where he is from a quad is not a viable option. If I understand correctly the choice here is:
Trade or Sell SVX for '04 STi and have only STI
or
Keep SVX and get a street bike
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??

Get the bike man. Keep your SVX. When I got a 2nd vehicle on my insurance it LOWERED my insurance payments!!! That's not even a choice in my mind. And I am very wont ride a bike because I know I'd die on it.
1994 SVX [Emerald Pearl]
Old 11-23-2005, 11:09 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Keith,
What are you thinking?!?! You cannot possibly get rid of the SVX. The bike is the way to go. We just got one in May, it almost pays for its own insurance in gas (of course we're old). I want to get me one for a daily driver within the next year or so... probably next winter, when prices are lower. And I've never ridden a bike in my life, so I'll have to take classes and practice a lot before I ever get out in traffic.
Don't get me wrong... I want an STi too... but the bike makes much more economical sense. You just need to get the right bike.... hubby had a Yamaha.. always swore "never Harley"..... now we have a Harley and he loves it. Not to mention the comraderie with other bikers... Harley or other...

call me if ya want... 970.270.1293

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*