Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > ECU Tune Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 12:19 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname
33 degrees huh, how did it start? Did it crank up faster, slower, or the same as factory?
Starts up fine.I hate winter!I have a few other thing going on right now so it will take a few days to get everything together.
More later...
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 11-23-2005, 01:42 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
I still believe the reason for the MT stalling is a slow-to-react IAC.
I think its something like that too. 10:1 compresion ratio with a 14 lbs flywheel makes for a fast drop in rpms in neutral. Another contributing factor may be that the ECU shuts of fuel in decel. I'm guessing that it reenables fuel flow at some specified rpm. The ECU may not be turning it back on fast enough to stop the rpms shooting straight to zero. If there were ways to adjust these parameters I think that this issue could be solved.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:01 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
I'd like to know how low the voltage reading from the maf goes during decell on the manual cars.

Things don't really work the way you guys are thinking but that doesn't matter. If given the complete correct information I ask for there is a very good chance I will be able to do something to help you manual guys out.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:04 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
meh...like I said Mike it is not that big of a deal...and the 6mt does not stall like the 5mt... I dunno maybe one of these days I will get to it...but right now I want to get my hands clean as they have been really dirty for the past 3 weeks... Wrenches and wires are the last thing I want to deal with right now

Tom
Old 11-23-2005, 10:34 PM
Just some dude.

I hear ya there. I'm in no hurry to do it and it doesn't necessarily have to be you that takes the measurement. I'm just making the offer to do it if the 5mt guys want to fix the problem and want to give me the info I ask for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
meh...like I said Mike it is not that big of a deal...and the 6mt does not stall like the 5mt... I dunno maybe one of these days I will get to it...but right now I want to get my hands clean as they have been really dirty for the past 3 weeks... Wrenches and wires are the last thing I want to deal with right now

Tom
Old 11-24-2005, 10:22 AM
Maniac modifier

yeah, Mychailo should be able to give you some good data as he seems to have some good monitoring equiptment and I lack it... I go by the seat of my pants...not a dial or digits

Tom
Old 11-27-2005, 05:45 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

I installed the Stage 2 v5 chip today, and as advertised, no stalling with the Climate Control in the off position. Otherwise response is the same as far as I can tell.

The big news is the Check Engine light went off. It had been throwing a 55 code (EGR Temperature Sensor) since I installed the chip. Check engine light would come on maybe a minute or two after I started the car, depending on the temperature. Colder days take longer. Now it doesn't come on at all. Yet. Will keep you posted.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 11-28-2005, 12:01 AM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
yeah, Mychailo should be able to give you some good data as he seems to have some good monitoring equiptment and I lack it... I go by the seat of my pants...not a dial or digits

Tom
Bill/Chike/Tom K have my data logger right now. I probably won't have it back before Jan 1. I can post the data from a run back in July where I pushed in the clutch at the end of a WOT run.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:32 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
Bill/Chike/Tom K have my data logger right now. I probably won't have it back before Jan 1. I can post the data from a run back in July where I pushed in the clutch at the end of a WOT run.
Yeah, in light of the aborted drag meet at Capitol, I'm setting up a "dyno meet" for a TBD date in December. It will be held at Altered Atmospheres' facility in Gaithersburg, MD. I've run there twice and been happy with their support. My plan is to get an hour or two of dyno time and cycle people through the rollers to allow for minor 'tweaks' between pulls (thus the use of Mychailo's wide band).
PM me if you're interested in taking part.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-28-2005, 11:18 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Yeah, in light of the aborted drag meet at Capitol, I'm setting up a "dyno meet" for a TBD date in December. It will be held at Altered Atmospheres' facility in Gaithersburg, MD. I've run there twice and been happy with their support. My plan is to get an hour or two of dyno time and cycle people through the rollers to allow for minor 'tweaks' between pulls (thus the use of Mychailo's wide band).
PM me if you're interested in taking part.
-Bill
Bill,

I'd be interested if I've had my trans replaced by then. With the t/c seal leak, I'm noticing my transmission line pressure isn't as high as before. I'd also prefer to not leak atf all over their dyno...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 11-28-2005, 12:25 PM
Just some dude.

Does everyone with a 5mt have the same problem at the same time? It's a stall during deceleration right? Does it matter if the engine coolant is warmed up or cold? Does it matter if the ac is turned on or off.
What would be most helpful as far as maf voltage data would be to take all of the following on the same ocassion:

1) voltage at idle after first start, engine cold with ac off....turn off so as not to heat engine
2) voltage at idle with engine cold and ac on
3) voltage at idle with engine warm and ac off
4) voltage at idle with engine warm and ac on
5) voltage during decelleration before stall

With that information I will be able to determine if I can provide a work around for the 5mt stall without altering idle air supply.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:53 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Does everyone with a 5mt have the same problem at the same time? It's a stall during deceleration right? Does it matter if the engine coolant is warmed up or cold? Does it matter if the ac is turned on or off.
What would be most helpful as far as maf voltage data would be to take all of the following on the same ocassion:

1) voltage at idle after first start, engine cold with ac off....turn off so as not to heat engine
2) voltage at idle with engine cold and ac on
3) voltage at idle with engine warm and ac off
4) voltage at idle with engine warm and ac on
5) voltage during decelleration before stall

With that information I will be able to determine if I can provide a work around for the 5mt stall without altering idle air supply.
Yes and no. When the problem occurs it's on deceleration when pushing in the clutch. It does not happen on all 5MT conversions though as my dad's doesn't do this. His RPM's don't fall as fast and that's even with a lightweight underdrive pulley.

For mine it didn't stall until the normal idle is in the 600-700 range. With the A/C on it wouldn't stall (due to higher idle RPM's)
Old 11-28-2005, 06:33 PM
sans SVX

Quote:

For my car, the stall is only during decel when I push in the clutch. Doesn't matter whether the engine is warm or cold. It stalls less with AC turn on. Its more likely to happen if I turn the steering wheel while decelerating with the clutch in (like coming up to an intersection to turn). It seems that the extra load from the PS system prevents the engine from recovering from momentarily too-low idle. My car is a '95 L with the RPM-based PS system. All vacuum and air hoses were replaced a few months ago. It does have a 14 lb flywheel which causes the rpms to drop more rapidly during decel.

Visit my locker

Last edited by mbtoloczko; 11-28-2005 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:20 PM

5MT that used to stall

When I bought my 92 5MT in August of 2004, it used to stall occasionally on decel when the clutch was depressed. In the past year + that I have owned it, I have made many a mod and somewhere along the way the stalling stopped.
One of the mods I did first was installing the ECUtune Stage 1 v4 chip. I installed a Dayle underdriven aluminum pulley as well, but the stalling stayed the same - occasional and no real pattern. Soon thereafter, I replaced the main Cat with a high flow 2 into 1 along with the two O2 sensors. While under the car, I repaired a bunch of exhaust leaks front to back on my Stebro with Euro resonator. I don't know when exactly, but somwhere along the way the stalling went away. It hasn't stalled in so long, I can't remember the last time I had that problem. My flywheel is stock WRX. My best guess is that I had a mixture issue with old O2 sensors and funky backpressure with a bunch of small exhaust leaks. My $.02.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:47 PM
Just some dude.

Do you all agree that it made no difference whether the engine is cold or hot?