How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 07:43 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Here are the ones that are whe weirdest of all.... My brake cable snapped clear through.... When I repped the consol off (cause there was smoke coming from underneath it)... I found the brake cable glowing!!! and it had snapped!!!

Thanks guys!!! This is all I can get this morning without really ripping anything off.... I appreciate any help I can get.... Thanks again

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 08-30-2005, 07:58 AM

Sorry I won't be around to answer questions guys... I have work till 3:30pm.... Talk to youguys then!!!

** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 08-30-2005, 08:27 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Chris,
I'd start by disconnecting the ground wire up by the battery and cleaning it up before screwing it back down. Then I'd move to the area of the fire and peel back the wire loom around the wires in that area to see if some of the wires within the looms haven't melted together.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-30-2005, 10:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
You are in luck my friend. ...well hopefully.

That ground that connects the battery to the chassis is the only ground in the SVX that connects directly to the chassis. The larger wire goes to the starter mount and there are various grounds that connect the engine/trans/exhaust to the chassis.

But that main ground is shot - change the entire thing and make it thicker. Also clean away all that black mess around it. The parking brake cable is not weird at all. Reason being is that is a hell of a good ground when the main one fails. All the electronics were then using that parking brake cable as ground point hence causing it to get hot.

Try changing that battery -> chassis ground and give it a go. Good luck.

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash
Old 08-30-2005, 10:02 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX
Pistures coming within the hour....

Are "Pistures" photographs you take when you're Pissed?
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-30-2005, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredubjay
Are "Pistures" photographs you take when you're Pissed?
Probably

Thanks for having a sense of humor about it Randy

Old 08-30-2005, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjjensen
You are in luck my friend. ...well hopefully.

That ground that connects the battery to the chassis is the only ground in the SVX that connects directly to the chassis. The larger wire goes to the starter mount and there are various grounds that connect the engine/trans/exhaust to the chassis.

But that main ground is shot - change the entire thing and make it thicker. Also clean away all that black mess around it. The parking brake cable is not weird at all. Reason being is that is a hell of a good ground when the main one fails. All the electronics were then using that parking brake cable as ground point hence causing it to get hot.

Try changing that battery -> chassis ground and give it a go. Good luck.

Thanks Mate!!! Awesome advice.... I'm gonna do it now before I have to go to class and give it a shot!!! I'll post back with the results

Old 08-30-2005, 02:47 PM

Alright, well I got in there... Took the battery out, cleaned the terminals... Took out that bad (burnt out ground).... Just happen to have an extra wire to use to make a ground.... I am off to get a set of pliers at the moment though... Then I head to class, I'll be back around 8pm tonight... I may go out there and work on it a bit tonight just because I am feeling very optomistic about it and really hoping that this will be the end of my worries.... I'll let everyone know!!!

Old 08-30-2005, 02:53 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX
Alright, well I got in there... Took the battery out, cleaned the terminals... Took out that bad (burnt out ground).... Just happen to have an extra wire to use to make a ground.... I am off to get a set of pliers at the moment though... Then I head to class, I'll be back around 8pm tonight... I may go out there and work on it a bit tonight just because I am feeling very optomistic about it and really hoping that this will be the end of my worries.... I'll let everyone know!!!
Good luck Chris. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 08-30-2005, 03:11 PM
That's gona leave a mark.

I sure hope that works, but I don't think that is your problem. My 95 runs fine with that ground wire completely detached.

the Chick Magnet:
91 Justy GL EFI 4x4 154k (new motor @120k)

90 Yamaha V-Max
82 Yamaha XJ650LJ Turbo
My Diver Propulsion vehicle:
88 Jeep Cherokee 160k
"U-sta-have"
88 XT6 AWD Pearl,
86 XT Lt Blue,
85 XT AWD/4x4 Turbo Space Blue
Old 08-30-2005, 06:12 PM

Well, I've got alot of homework tonight... So if I get out there and work on it, it will be alittle later on tonight... I'll keep everyone posted though!!

Old 08-30-2005, 07:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
cool. You never know - changing the ground is just a good place to start. But there is evidence it is bad because your parking brake cable got hot from flowing electricity.

Also check any melted wires and seperate them if they're fused together ....replace any that are really bad.

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash
Old 08-30-2005, 07:58 PM
Superbeast

Well I'm assuming possiblythat the E-brake cable rubbed thrue a radio power cable? Or am I seeing things that arn't there?
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 08-30-2005, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subafreak
Well I'm assuming possiblythat the E-brake cable rubbed thrue a radio power cable? Or am I seeing things that arn't there?
That could be true too man... I'll be chacking it all when I take as much stuff out of the interior as possible... I'll definitly post what I find... Thanks for the suggestion though!!

Old 08-30-2005, 08:37 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
No engine ground?

This hasn't been an ordinary short. There has been at least 150 amps flowing there. I have seen this type of short when the main ground to the engine has been disconnected. The starter draws about 250 amps, this current has to get back to the negitive pole of the battery, if the main ground lead that runs from the negitive terminal to the engine block doesn't provide the path, every metal connection between the engine block and the body will have to carry it. That leaves the small ground from the body to the negitive side of the battery to carry the current, so it burnt up.

Thats why the hand brake cable, the clutch pipe, throttle cable, and all the small ground wires that run from the engine to the body get overheated. I think the shorting will only be in the ground wires, like the one that runs from the back of the engine to the firewall, ect. Maybe it won't be too bad Chris.

Harvey. (won't let me post smiles)

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.