SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 05:00 PM
92AWDSVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
That's the rear suspension, so is the sound coming from the rear of the car?

Ya its coming from the rear IT SOUNDS LIKE, but u never know under the car it can come from anywhere sounds like the rear though
Old 08-14-2005, 05:06 PM
92AWDSVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberRoo
Well, in that case...

Yes, the lug nuts are a good bet. It sounds like you need to jack up the car and start wiggling parts until you find something loose. The part you circled on the right is part of the anti-sway bar. It's not very important and unlikely to make much noise. The part you circled on the left is quite a bit more important, but as long as it's not broken, but only bent, the only consequence will be an alignment problem which isn't a big deal and it also does not explain the loud noises.

Your descriptions, "bent," "f----d," and "grabbing on the left turns," are too short to be useful. What grabs? How can you tell? What does it do when it grabs? What's bent? The rod? The joint? The bolt? How is it f----d? Is it loose? Is the metal bent? Is the rubber boot broken? I don't mean to be obtuse, but what kind of BAM are we talking about? "Bam" isn't exactly the word I'd use to describe two trains colliding. Bam is useful, but would a dull thud be more accurate? Does it sound like somebody kicking the wheel, or more beating on it with something harder like a bowling ball? Does it sound like somebody beating on something other than the wheel? Beating on what? With what? How hard? Sorry to be difficult, but I can't tell you what was wrong with the Titanic from a ticket stub, nor can I tell you what’s wrong with a car simply by knowing it makes a noise.

We need specifics. Every clue counts.

There's not much else I can suggest other than getting the weight off the suspect wheel and finding the loose part, as that sounds like the problem. [pun intended]
LoL the front end grabs... and its a LOUD BAM not a soft knock, the rod is bent and there is a gap where it screws in almost like an inch (size of a normal magazine) gap between where it should meet... The bam almost sounds like if i redlined the car then dropped it into drive like that METAL SMASHING LOUD NOISE.... But it only does it on left turns and wobbles BAD on right turns...

Any more ?'s feel free to ask I am the one needing help dont be sorry for askin me more ?'s to help me lol I JUST REALL AM CURIOUS on what it could be
Old 08-14-2005, 05:09 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92AWDSVX
LoL the front end grabs... and its a LOUD BAM not a soft knock, the rod is bent and there is a gap where it screws in almost like an inch (size of a normal magazine) gap between where it should meet... The bam almost sounds like if i redlined the car then dropped it into drive like that METAL SMASHING LOUD NOISE.... But it only does it on left turns and wobbles BAD on right turns...

Any more ?'s feel free to ask I am the one needing help dont be sorry for askin me more ?'s to help me lol I JUST REALL AM CURIOUS on what it could be
Did you check your axles yet? Could also be your front dif.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:23 PM
92AWDSVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Did you check your axles yet? Could also be your front dif.
Well i dont really know what to look for with checking by axles and front diff... but i will keep that in mind, i will ask my cousin he knows alot about cars, i dont know much, i know some but not alot, i wouldnt know what a bad axle looks, it doest look NOTICEABLY broke, but i duno
Old 08-14-2005, 11:04 PM
SVX Appeal

The axles and front differential are both good candidates. The only way to check the front differential without removing it is to drain the oil. You can check the oil for debris and also look in the drain hole with a flashlight for any telltale signs of damage. Bad half-axles should be pretty obvious. If the rubber boots at each end are not torn, the chances of one being damaged is very, very small.

Does this problem happen at low speeds? (Like at a walking pace?) It's often helpful to have someone walk alongside the car while you drive it so they can pinpoint the exact location of the noise. It's virtually impossible to tell where a noise is coming from while inside the car. (A major part of the design philosophy of luxury cars is to hide and muffle noise.)

Also, loose suspension parts can often be observed by a bystander as you drive by slowly. When you turn, accelerate, and brake; the suspension will flex slightly. If something is loose, it will flex a lot. It's not possible to see from inside the car, but somebody standing outside can usually see the wheel move relative to the wheel arches. Worn out ball joints are a good example, because it's easy to see the wheel jerk forward when you accelerate, and jerk backward when you stop. I've even gone so far as to have someone ride around on my hood with their feet hanging off one side, and their head hanging over the other side so they could easily see which way the wheel moves.

I still strongly recommend you jack up each corner of the car, grab onto each wheel, and jerk them around to see if they move. If they do, crawl underneath (after placing jack stands under there) and figure out which part is loose.

We can continue to offer many other ideas, but unless you plan on replacing every single part we mention, you're gonna hafta figure out which one actually needs to be fixed or replaced. At this point, it sounds like nobody else has had the same problem as you or recognizes the symptoms. Somebody is going to have to find the loose or broken part. Ya might as well crawl under there yourself unless you want to hire someone else to do it.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:15 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nobody Send a message via MSN to Nobody
Hi there, I have the same problem decribed here
It started 15k KM from now and only on shrap left turns in low speed. As it was hard to find what is going to die and as it occured seldom I let it be decided to take care of it as it will be worse. This time came now as it occures on both turns (to the right it is not the same sounds not to clear and not too loud). It occures on stright as well but when accelerator pedal really hard pressed (which I am not doing very often). It is strange as it is not occuring every time, sometimes yes sometimes not. As for me it would not be front diff. as it is not occuring in higher speeds on sharp turns and can not imagine that front diff could live with that over 15k KM. Fluid checked regularly and it is stable on the full mark. As for axles, I can only compare with some other cars I had an as I remeber it was occuring when parking with wheels fully turned both left or right and this sound was not too loud and was more like ticking not really metal to metal sound. My problems sound like knocking with mid-size hammer on axle
Petr
Old 08-15-2005, 11:58 AM
92AWDSVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody
Hi there, I have the same problem decribed here
It started 15k KM from now and only on shrap left turns in low speed. As it was hard to find what is going to die and as it occured seldom I let it be decided to take care of it as it will be worse. This time came now as it occures on both turns (to the right it is not the same sounds not to clear and not too loud). It occures on stright as well but when accelerator pedal really hard pressed (which I am not doing very often). It is strange as it is not occuring every time, sometimes yes sometimes not. As for me it would not be front diff. as it is not occuring in higher speeds on sharp turns and can not imagine that front diff could live with that over 15k KM. Fluid checked regularly and it is stable on the full mark. As for axles, I can only compare with some other cars I had an as I remeber it was occuring when parking with wheels fully turned both left or right and this sound was not too loud and was more like ticking not really metal to metal sound. My problems sound like knocking with mid-size hammer on axle
Petr
Exacty how mine is, only at higher speeds with it make then noise at lower speed it just sounds like (with my door open listening) that the wheel is low on air type of noise the wheel sounds like its rubbing on the outer wall of the tire... and sometimes it happens going streight from a complete stop it will bang also, but mine it stil bangs on turns even if im not at a complete stop then turn if im moving and turn left it will still bang... i dont have to be stopped then turn

EDIT....

On my way back from the mechanic i make a left turn and the rpms ZOOM up and stuff starts grinding and banging i streighten the wheel, same thing, so i let go of the gas and barelyt press it and i can make it home but if i stop or turn same thing... CAR ZOOMS AND GRINDS AND BANGS... and now when its in drive it does the same things just not the rpms goin up cuz im not pressing the gas.... it just bangs and grinds!!! WHAT DOES THAT MEAN BROKE?

Last edited by 92AWDSVX; 08-15-2005 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:22 PM
92AWDSVX

On my way back from the mechanic i make a left turn and the rpms ZOOM up and ****s grinding and banging i streighten the wheel, same thing, so i let go of the gas and barelyt press it and i can make it home but if i stop or turn same thing... CAR ZOOMS AND GRINDS AND BANGS... and now when its in drive it does the same things just not the rpms goin up cuz im not pressing the gas.... it just bangs and grinds!!! WHAT DOES THAT MEAN BROKE?
Old 08-15-2005, 03:40 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
EDIT....

On my way back from the mechanic i make a left turn and the rpms ZOOM up and ****s grinding and banging....
Just curious... on your way back from mechanc and you still don't know what's wrong??
Old 08-15-2005, 06:13 PM
92AWDSVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
Just curious... on your way back from mechanc and you still don't know what's wrong??
Ya they couldnt get me in until wed or thurs...
Old 08-15-2005, 06:23 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I think you need to be more gentle or else you're going to break more stuff.

Try getting all 4 wheels off the ground and see which wheels will turn in gear. It sounds like a diff is broken.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:21 PM
92AWDSVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
I think you need to be more gentle or else you're going to break more stuff.

Try getting all 4 wheels off the ground and see which wheels will turn in gear. It sounds like a diff is broken.
o no the car is sitting in my driveway now, does seem like the noise is coming from the rear, cuz it looks like the exhaust is bouncing around underneath the car so i duno

It sounds like something is spinning and not cathing and then boom it will catch and the car will move but the noise sounds like its coming from the rear.

almost seems like its not cathing onto the wheels and moving them, car goes in reverse fine no problems ever and when its spinning and making noise if u keep tapping the gas it will move the car just real slow, almost like something is stripped and not getting a good grip

REMEMBER FOR SOME ODD REASON MY CAR IS RWD when the fuse is in, and nothing has ever happened bad so please dont say anything about it like its bad to have it in it has been in for about 3-4 years

Last edited by 92AWDSVX; 08-15-2005 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:24 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
REMEMBER FOR SOME ODD REASON MY CAR IS RWD when the fuse is in, and nothing has ever happened bad so please dont say anything about it like its bad to have it in it has been in for about 3-4 years
dubbya tee eff?

find another mechanic to go to.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXgarcia
I had a Loud noise BAM noise coming from my car. Does the noise also shake the car? I had to replace my differential. The noise in my car was coming from the front and I could feel the car shake with the loud noise.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:32 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
I'm just flabergasted that he DROVE the car home like that! What if you kill yourself or god forbid a kid when your wheel comes off! To me that's just plain dumb! No offense but seriously, think of the liability if something would happen!