Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-17-2005, 03:01 PM
JoeDman79

Better Picture Quality?

Hey Guys,
I am trying to put pictures of my car in my locker and on my computer they look clear and very detailed, but when i load them into my locker they appear grainy, foggy and unclear. They are also extremely large. How do I get a better looking photo into my locker? Thanks
Old 07-17-2005, 08:45 PM
blah blah, blah.

Shrink the pictures, and the quality will become better. Also easier to download for us.
Mods (in order of install)- K&N air filter, ECUtune stage 1v.4, Alternator mod, removed intake resonator, B&M Supercooler, Window Tint, JDM Emblem, Hid Kit 5000K.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:09 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDman79
Hey Guys,
I am trying to put pictures of my car in my locker and on my computer they look clear and very detailed, but when i load them into my locker they appear grainy, foggy and unclear. They are also extremely large. How do I get a better looking photo into my locker? Thanks
Exactly how big are these "extremly Large Pictures"??? I have a few that are bigger than 2200x1600 in mine and they are fine....

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 07-18-2005, 08:08 PM

Registered SVX
It looks clear on my computer only to big to see at one time. Also watch the reflections they take away from the picture. I would say a 1,200 X 800 is a good size . this can be adjusted in the camera.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
The reason it appears large online is that IE is not resizing the image from the original size to the screen size. But judging from the EXIF data, the main reason that the image appears blurred is because it is over exposed, and maybe also slightly out of focus, both likely due to the wide aperture used. I would suggest using AUTO or Program AE modes next time and shooting at the 3.3 MP size that the C3030 is capable of.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the image was saved in HQ rather than SHQ. The high JPG compression creates artifacts and loss of detail that can also make an image appear out of focus. Always use SHQ.

KuoH

Last edited by kuoh; 07-18-2005 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:32 PM

Unless one is hard up for memory space, it is usually not a good idea to lower the image size too much during capture. The reason being that you can always reduce the image size in software afterwards, but you can never regain detail that the camera didn't record.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Luciano
I would say a 1,200 X 800 is a good size . this can be adjusted in the camera.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:02 PM

Registered SVX
You can blow a 1,200 X800 up to an 8X10 I really can't see Y u would want better Quality unless you were a weddding Photog selling them 1 out of 1,000 pictures printed at WALLY MART ever get brought back to be blown up bigger than the 4X5 they get. I mean how many places in your house do u really have to display 8X10 pictures of your car.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:21 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
You can do that but what if you want to crop the image and only use part of it. You won't be able to blow that up to 8 by 10.

That's the reason I take all my photos at the highest quality possible.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:38 PM

But you see, not everyone has the same tastes as you and to some, attention to detail is important, just as if you were having the SVX worked on. One man's average work is another man's sloppy job.

Take for instance the following pic I took awhile back. Sure it looks good enough on screen at only .75 MP, but it's nothing compared to the original 4 MP shot when printed. For instance, you can clearly see that it was Major Mark Smith who was flying the #2 Left Wing position from the crop of the original. Blow up the .75 MP shot to 600% and you'd be hard pressed to make out the name. The small shot will just look, well..."digital", even at sizes as small as 4x6, where as the full res shot will look much closer to film.

Like I said unless you're short on memory, which few people should be with the current prices, there is really no good reason not to take full advantage of your camera.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Luciano
You can blow a 1,200 X800 up to an 8X10 I really can't see Y u would want better Quality unless you were a weddding Photog selling them