Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 06-25-2005, 07:41 PM
building more AK47's

Angry Why our government sucks even more!!??!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050625/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl
WHAT THE HELL
Old 06-26-2005, 01:43 AM
SVX Appeal

It used to be that the government was relatively self-sufficient. For that reason, greed was never really an issue. Now, the government has two motivations to seize property; to create a more profitable tax base, and because developers will bribe the government to do what they want. (Is "bribe" too strong a word, or not strong enough?) The term "public use" in the fifth amendment needs a closer analysis. Private interests seem to be increasingly mistaken for public interests. A great part of the public in many cases is the people these seizures displace. How do you justify development that is supposed to benefit a population that doesn't exist yet, and won't exist until after the development is complete? By benefiting future generations? Perhaps, but by tearing down their childhood homes? There's a lot of factors to weigh.

Commercial interests are increasingly controlling the government. The government only has a need for very little money, but it's found plenty of excuses. Give 'em an inch, and they'll take an acre.

Honestly though, I'm not aware of any cases that were truly outlandish. Sometimes people are very generously compensated and are happy to move. I agree that if it happened to me, I'd complain a great deal, but this just doesn't seem to be a pervasive problem. I've heard this issue before, but ultimately the vocal minority seems to be an extremely small minority and exceptionally whiny.

Amendment V
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:07 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Imperialism on a small scale.

Instead of developing undeveloped land just take the seat that's warm.

You'd have to pay me a heck of a lot of dough to get me off my seat.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:04 PM
building more AK47's

Taking our rights a little at a time for "the better of our country" F&#$ that Im sick of all these politicians deciding whats best "for us". These clowns create a war we dont need, we still havent found Bin Laden, North Korea has weapons of mass destruction and we do nothing about it, impose democracy by teaching hate and violence, take away our rights as AMERICANS and tell us what to do!!?? To he77 with that We must lead our country as an example to the rest of the world, thats what used to make the US great now its a war machine ready to act on BUSH'S command. History has repeated itself and George W. Hitler is rounding up Arabs instead of Jews.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:46 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
This liberal thread needs a good conservative smackdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsvx
Taking our rights a little at a time for "the better of our country" F&#$ that Im sick of all these politicians deciding whats best "for us".
You put them where they are. If you really want to change something, go out and get a law degree, work your way up the ladder and get yourself to a position to do something. Also, do me a favor, when you get there, call me and let me know so i can complain about you no matter what you do. I'll complain when you do nothing and people die. But then i'll complain when you try to do something to fix what you screwed up. Then i'll complain just becuase I don't like you.

Quote:
These clowns create a war we dont need, we still havent found Bin Laden, North Korea has weapons of mass destruction and we do nothing about it, impose democracy by teaching hate and violence, take away our rights as AMERICANS and tell us what to do!!??
Ok, here...if you want to continue this ridiculous position of yours, you must answer for me one question.

What do you think we should have done?

You have basically two choices:

1 - Continue with diplomacy (aka DO NOTHING). Result: Thousands of Iraqis die (under Saddam's rein), thousands more Americans die in many future terrorist attacks. You complain that GW did nothing.

2 - Go to war. Result: Thousands of Iraqis die, thousands of American lives are saved because despite Saddam and Al-Queda's threats, absolutely no terrorism related deaths occur. You complain that GW did something.

So in both choices, thousands of Iraqis die and you complain. However in choice two, many American lives are spared. I'll take the lesser of the two evils, but i'd love to see what you think.

Quote:
To he77 with that We must lead our country as an example to the rest of the world, thats what used to make the US great now its a war machine ready to act on BUSH'S command.
Why? In the end, who really cares? Other countries only care about us because we support them. Why should we care any further? In the end, you have to look out for yourself. That's what everyone else is doing, that's what we need to do. Personal safety is number one, friends are number two.

Quote:
History has repeated itself and George W. Hitler is rounding up Arabs instead of Jews.
Hmm...did you complain like this about the WWII War Criminal trials? No one compared us to Hitler then. There are alot of similarities between this situation and post WWII. But you don't complain about how we handled WWII.

Yes, I know you just want to have something to complain about. Unfortunately for you, I have some late-night free time while I wait for the Orange-Cream soda to wear off.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:19 PM
Hater

Quote:
Taking our rights a little at a time for "the better of our country" F&#$ that Im sick of all these politicians deciding whats best "for us". These clowns create a war we dont need, we still havent found Bin Laden, North Korea has weapons of mass destruction and we do nothing about it, impose democracy by teaching hate and violence, take away our rights as AMERICANS and tell us what to do!!?? To he77 with that We must lead our country as an example to the rest of the world, thats what used to make the US great now its a war machine ready to act on BUSH'S command. History has repeated itself and George W. Hitler is rounding up Arabs instead of Jews.

no one is forcing you to stay here........if you hurry, you can hop that plane with Eddie Vedder, Barbra Streisand, and Alec Baldwin.

try France.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 06-26-2005, 11:22 PM
SVX Appeal

Quote:
Taking our rights a little at a time for "the better of our country" F&#$ that Im sick of all these politicians deciding whats best "for us".
Be careful of what you criticize. The same Bill Of Rights which permits you to be a "2nd Amendment practitioner" also permits the government to seize property. Because the government seems so often to be in error, to some extent it's simply easier to dispense blanket criticisms. The danger with captious rhetoric is that sooner than later you're just crying wolf.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:46 AM

Had the local government wished to condemn that land and convert it into, say, a public green space rather that a commercial development, I'll bet the ruling would have come down differently.

dcb
Old 06-27-2005, 08:29 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Ok, here...if you want to continue this ridiculous position of yours, you must answer for me one question.

What do you think we should have done?

You have basically two choices:

1 - Continue with diplomacy (aka DO NOTHING). Result: Thousands of Iraqis die (under Saddam's rein), thousands more Americans die in many future terrorist attacks. You complain that GW did nothing.

2 - Go to war. Result: Thousands of Iraqis die, thousands of American lives are saved because despite Saddam and Al-Queda's threats, absolutely no terrorism related deaths occur. You complain that GW did something.

So in both choices, thousands of Iraqis die and you complain. However in choice two, many American lives are spared. I'll take the lesser of the two evils, but i'd love to see what you think.
So where were all these terrorists that would have taken american lives??

OHHH wait.. I know, they're in the other 15 countries that are more of a threat to us than Iraq, and yet we're not bombing the hell out of them!!! I've yet to see a 'conservatives' response to why we are doing nothing to a whole top twenty list of other countries that have more will to, ability to, and power to attack the US. (and where in the world is Mr. Bin Laden?)

oh, and there is a choice three. Develop a new international policy on terrorism and 'non-friendly' nations that would actually work, versus the crap foreign policy we have with the UN right now.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 06-27-2005, 11:41 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Back on topic,

In Milwaukee we recently had this exact issue. There was a small business/residential area near the lakefront that an out of state developer wanted to build a 35 story condominimum skyscraper on. Guess what, the city claimed eminent domain, sold the land (cheap, really cheap) to the developer and now we have a big building full of $750K and up condos.

The displaced tennants were paying between $600-$900 for their one room apartments within walking distance of the jobs downtown.

Milwaukee's Government is 100% Democrat. We haven't had a Republican as an alderman or mayor (or police cheif, fire cheif, judge, etc.) for over 30 years.

There is no politics to money. All sides are equally corrupt.

A few years back, the city also claimed eminent domain to build a new ballpark for a privetly owned baseball team (that will probably move in a few years and leave us with a big tax bill).

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 06-27-2005, 12:18 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
All you can do is get that power of money, and use it against evil.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:37 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
OHHH wait.. I know, they're in the other 15 countries that are more of a threat to us than Iraq, and yet we're not bombing the hell out of them!!! I've yet to see a 'conservatives' response to why we are doing nothing to a whole top twenty list of other countries that have more will to, ability to, and power to attack the US. (and where in the world is Mr. Bin Laden?)
those countries were watching us bomb the crap out of Iraq, and are thinking what would happen if they step out of line. maybe it isn't a good idea to poke the sleeping rattlesnake with a stick.

Quote:
oh, and there is a choice three. Develop a new international policy on terrorism and 'non-friendly' nations that would actually work, versus the crap foreign policy we have with the UN right now.
please explain this new international policy that "would actually work.". John Kerry had big plans, too, but he never seemed give any details. elaborate on this new plan - i'd be glad to listen.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 06-27-2005, 01:22 PM
Certified Porschephile

Seems like Syria got the message. Also seems like most people on the left forgot how Quadaffi called to say he is out of the terror support biz just days into Enduring Freedom. If you ignore the idiots they will not become pro-US. Kick thier teeth in and there will be less of them to be not pro-US. And maybe stop some of the attacks in the mean time. You'll never get all of them.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:10 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
So where were all these terrorists that would have taken american lives??

I think landshark and PA handled this comment well.

I do think that we will have to act with our military in the N. Korea situation. They've got this big head thing going on and really need to be reminded of where they stand. I don't think any kind of diplomacy will help...it seems like they just want to piss us off. Other than that, I think we can kinda stand back and watch things unfold for awhile, before we make any decisions about where action is needed.

You can't remain the toughest man in the gym without proving it every now and then.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:02 PM
building more AK47's

Smile

First i have always watched politics and practices thereof. I am not trying to offend anyone here just what I see as infractions to our country and ones abroad. I do think we can improve our foriegn policy but in the case of Iraq I believe we jumped the gun as far as WMD. Saddam had to go no question, but we had the means of getting him without a prolonged war. Yes I believe GW Bush has a personal thing against Saddam from the attempted assasination of his father but this is not how we should have done it. Other countries do pose a threat ie Iran North Korea and in the future China. No I dont see our government as being perfect but taking certain rights in the name of Homeland Security or taking personal property for big business is not right either. I am a believer of the Constitution and Bill of Rights 30ish father of 2 and want whats best for my family not whats best for my local, state, or federal government. Yes the governement issued me a grant to help build my home and its much appreciated but now these programs are on the chopping block for defense and corporate ventures. I dont understand what there goal is and hence my frustration in the matter. No, Bush is not Hitler by any stretch and apologize for the comment, I disagree with his policies and nothing more. I THANK EVERYONE OF YOU IN THIS DISCUSSION AND YOUR OPINIONS YOU GIVE ME TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STORY

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: