Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Wheels / Tires

Old 06-22-2005, 09:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Wiz Send a message via AIM to Wiz Send a message via Yahoo to Wiz
Need to find new rims

I'm looking to get some replacement rims for my SVX because I recently bent one of my 17"s and need something of a simaler size to put the tires on. Will all rims that are 17" with a 5x114.3 bolt pattern fit? Does the offset matter? If so what should it be? Any reccomendations for rims that would be deciently tough so I don't have to worry about pot holes as much? One friend of mine said BBS. My budget is $200 each.

Thanks
~Ben
Old 06-22-2005, 09:51 AM

A friend of mine is selling these, (if he still has them)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25391

PM me if interested

Jonathan

Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:54 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Stock rims are 16x7.75" (a little wider than 7.5") with 55 mm offset at 5x114.3 mm bolt pattern. I personally wouldn't use a rim less than 7.5" wide, and I'd want an offset of at least 45 mm (to miminize braking and acceleration-induced steering wheel pull). Rota makes a great selections of wheels that are compatible with the SVX, and their prices are very reasonable (about $150/wheel).

http://www.rotawheel.com/

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:16 AM
SVX Appeal

Lowering the offset should reduce braking and acceleration steering wheel pull. I'm on a mission to fit a rim with +28mm or less offset. (Yeah, good luck. I know.) I despise the negative scrub of the SVX. It's the only complaint I have with the suspension. ...for now. I'll come up with something else once I fix the scrub problem.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:21 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Wiz Send a message via AIM to Wiz Send a message via Yahoo to Wiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberRoo
Lowering the offset should reduce braking and acceleration steering wheel pull. I'm on a mission to fit a rim with +28mm or less offset. (Yeah, good luck. I know.) I despise the negative scrub of the SVX. It's the only complaint I have with the suspension. ...for now. I'll come up with something else once I fix the scrub problem.
The post above this one said I should have at least 45 offset. Your saying I should have less. I'm kinda confused now. Who is right?
Old 06-23-2005, 11:37 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberRoo
You'll never get a 7.5" wide rim with < 30 mm offset under the fender (unless you flare it). I would think that there has to be some reason why Subaru used a negative scrub radius. I have heard that in the WRX community (+53 mm stock offset) that running lower offset wheels causes brake and acceleration pull.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:09 AM
SVX Appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
...I would think that there has to be some reason why Subaru used a negative scrub radius. I have heard that in the WRX community (+53 mm stock offset) that running lower offset wheels causes brake and acceleration pull.
I'm sure Subaru knew what they were doing, but I wouldn't go so far as to suggest that certain changes wouldn't be favorable for some drivers.

I've heard that changing offset can cause problems, but without an explanation. With Subaru's I don't agree, but I really can't say for sure that they're wrong either. From my understanding of how scrub works, lowering the offset should reduce braking and acceleration pull.

Who's right? I don't know. I haven't heard any complaints from people using lower offsets. I have heard complaints from people using wider tires or rims. The cause is different, but the symptom is the same. It's possible that people blame the offset for the problem when the increased width is the actual cause. Again though, this is speculation.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:50 AM
check out www.planetsvx.com

we always have rims on special

16, 17 and 18"
check it out when you get a minute

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."